Unintended boost for RM recruiting?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by stumpy, Dec 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/17/nparas17.xml

The above link details a proposal to halt para regiment jumping for 4 years. One unintended consequence could be a boost for RM recruitment, because if you are a young lad intent of joining, would you want to go through the sh1t of P-Company (surely to be renamed Penguin Company!) and never jump, therefore always being treated as a second class citizen by "real paras" when instead you could be a proper Bootie?

2. And does anyone really believe that in 4 years PM Brown will really start paying again, or will he say "Well, you have managed okay so far without jumping..."

3. I think you're probably right on both counts. If they can't do the jumps, I can imagine them losing a lot of potential recruits, though many of them will probably just go elsewhere in the Army (isn't one of the Rifles battalions going to be Commando roled?).

I can imagine that fewer and fewer people are going to do parachute training in the future, both because of the cost, and the fact that large scale airborne operations seem to be a thing of the past.

4. Sounds like training a nasty vicious guard dog and then pulling out all it's teeth, bonkers!!

5. Total farce but he has definitely been on the cards for a while.

K

6. Bring back the SS Brigade(Not the feckin german ones) when/if the Paras go.

7. If the paras go, what will the nutters of this world do?

8. They will form a queue to join Snfle-snafle in his comic book SS commando unit!