Uniform

Discussion in 'History' started by DruAde, Nov 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watching The Cruel Sea . It seems most of the rates on deck are always in Ones. When did that change to ceremonial only for one's?

2. They would have been in No 3s which though look like No 1s were made from a rough serge material (more hardwearing & far less comfortable) They were easily identifiyable by the fact that the badges were RED not GOLD.
    However once a new No1 suit had been purchased the old No1s normally were reverted to No3s, We Wafus being born lazy did not bother to change the badges. We bought new shiny Gold badges for our bezzy suits with money from out Air Station Pay.:laughing5:
    When I joined in 63 I was told that No8s were a fairly recent addition to the uniform. Seems that many ships serving in the far east allowed the crew to purchase 8s from the Chimese Tailors to use as working rig. Their lordships eventually adopted it as RN officioa uniform.
    Rapsheet may be able to enlighten us fully as to whether this is true.

3. I joined September 1959 and we had No8s then. No3s as you say were red badges and 1s gold.

4. About the same time as the entire control room team stopped wearing their caps! Or wait, was that just in movies and promotional films?

5. wal

wal Badgeman

66 we had No 1s and 2s only

6. I agree.Nos 1 - gold bages, Nos 3 - red badges. I was issued with No 8s in 1951 so were going then.

7. Bet you didn't, according to BR 1938 Naval Ratings Handbook 1965 edition (as issued to me at Ganges in '73 and which I've still got) you had

No 1's (gold badge), No 2's (red or gold), No 3's (red), No 4 (night clothing), No 8's (action working dress) etc etc and that was all still being issued when I joined up.

It was about 2004/5 that 8's became 4's IIRC.

8. I remember the old song "you've got the cutest pair of faded 8's", never worked with 4's!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. 8's were being referred to as 4's when I joined in 99. Although the instructors were still using the term 8's when we joined so the name change was quite recent before that I think about 97ish?when tiffs lost their fore and aft rig.

I still call them 8's especially when some young bugger makes me feel old! The look of confusion is brilliant.

It was like that when I found it chief

10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep I concur. Definitely 4s in 99.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

11. Thinking about it you are right with the 4's/8's thing. I'm sure some rig numbers were changed in 04/05 as I remember the posters going up showing which rig went with which number.

This Alzheimers is er, you know, er teatime I think.

12. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When did 5s become 3s?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

13. When playing crib (no such animal as 5's according to previously mentioned book).

14. Thanks very much for all the information folks appreciate your input.

15. Probably the same time as JRs started wearing a shirt rather than a white front. Although thats just a guess.

16. That's the new 3's, ratings never had a 5's .

17. As I recall from 1952 (and later)
    Nos 1s = Gold badges and medals.
    Nos 2s = Gold badges, ie shore going rig.
    Nos 3s = Red badges.
    Nos 4s = "old but respectable uniform trousers" with white front (class 2 rig)/tropical shirt (class 1 and 3 rigs), worn as night clothing. For those who are not aware, class 3 rig was worn by junior rate Tiffs, sick berth attendants, and the supply branch (writers, jack-dusties of both sorts, cooks, officers' cooks and stewards), and coders (Ed) and (S).
    All the above apply to ratings.
    No 5s, was, as I recall, an officers' dress, I think "Red Sea rig", but stand to be corrected on that one.
    Red badges on rough serge was the only rig issued, a "tiddley suit", with gold badges could be purchased from a Naval tailor, but only when you had passed 17.5 yrs - (juniors were not allowed to make out allotments) and on half a crown a day couldn't afford £2 a month anyway. Incidentally, the only footwear issued was 2 pairs of boots - shoes could also be purchased from a Naval Tailor. So my first runs ashore were in the glorious dress of a three button single breasted rough serge suit (known as a "Pusser's goonskin") accompanied by Pusser's boots. I thought I looked wonderful.:wink:

2BM
    PS. At the end of training, my Dad sent me the money(£26) to buy a tiddley suit, double breasted doeskin with gold badge.

Then I DID look the bees' knees.:1:

20. Thinking of dom's maybe? lol