Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by thegatman, Feb 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me if there is a website or PDF or anything like that that shows how to wash, fold, iron and store the uniform at basic training?

I want to get some practice in before I go...lol.
  2. How are you going to do that? You don't get any uniform to practice on until you get there! :p
  3. It's easy to get some navy issue items, also it does not have to be a full uniform to practice on.... A shirt is a shirt, trousers are trousers.... What I meen is the technique they use in the navy.
  4. Top Tip.....................Wash Iron and fold clothes...........ask your Mum.
  5. Do they still have Chinese dhoby wallahs on todays ships?
  6. Jesus f*cking wept :evil:
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Step 7 Place trousers inside out on the face of the ironing board. Apply heat from the iron one leg at a time concentrating on the seam. Apply a sufficient amount of starch to get the desired crisp look. Repeat the process on the other leg of the trousers.

Ok, but how do you get a nice sharp crease on the outside of the trousers if theyre inside out?
  9. Learn when you get there, no one likes a smart arse. Anything you learn before hand could be wrong.
  10. Do not try any of those fishy ideas like putting glue on the inside of your creases and then ironing them into the crease and letting it dry. You'll just get caught and hounded by the staff for trying it on!
  11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd love to see him having a go at the ladder creases that I had to iron!!
  12. Think most are Nepalese if any now days?
  13. Correctamundo, there's Ghurkalis in dhobi shacks everywhere, scary little fcukers.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are simply advised to learn how to use a steam iron to iron clothes before you actually join- including the use of a damp cloth to prevent scorching or adding a sheen to the material.

You are advised to go on a Royal Navy Acquaint Course/Ratings Preparation Course (or whatever they call it this week) prior to joining. You will be taught how to drive an iron, march, visit a ship/submarine/squadron etc.,- just ask your AFCO if you can go on one.
  15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Jeez, when I started the bone newbies questions I never thought anyone would come out with this one, I'm in awe.

1. Get a magazine, "Playboy", "Fiesta" or "Well hung cow hands from Dorset" will do.
    2. Finish reading them
    3. Iron everything in sight
    4. Screw it in a ball and start again.
    5. And again.
    6. Fold it all up so it fits on to the magazine.
    7. Screw it up and iron it again.
    8. This time put creases in it.
    9. Screw it up again.
    10. Only put one crease per sleeve in it this time.

Repeat steps 1 to 10 in the middle of the night after depriving yourself of sleep for 5 days.

You'll soon get the hang of it.
  16. Top tip. Don't iron anything that you are wearing.
    (Seen it done :roll: ).
  17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

We had the idea of using soap to help keep the creases in but it all 'fell apart' in the rain!

18. LOL , thought that myself .