Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by navyoa, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if it allowed for senoir rates when wearing kilts, to wear there medals and dolphins on their dress kilt jackets also? I've never really had a definitive answer to the question.
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I'm not surprised the way you framed it.

WTF is

A previous 1SL (JS?) allegedly gave permission for the kilt to be worn with mess jacket (and therefore entitled medals etc). However if your Pres thinks it looks arrse...... Take Cat's advice.

Moved to QD.
  3. If it's a Mess function, then the answer, surely, must be Uniform Nos 1s with bow tie or Mess Dress only (neg min medals unless so directed) - unless you are a civvie guest when lounge suit/evening dress would be worn?

This is the rig we had to wear when I was in the Mess in the 70s. But in those days there wasn't a miniature PO rate badge available, so I took a liberty and wore the tie pin (originally a shirt collar badge which noone seemed to like and few ever wore) on the lapel - encountered no problem from the Pres.
    But then, uniforms seemed to have changed slightly ..!?

Is there a Royal Naval kilt :scratch: - and could it be mainly blue with thin red and thin white stripes .. and can I claim the patent if there isn't !! ;)