Uniform....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by d_menace, Jul 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok im a newbie here and would like to start of by saying hello and thank you to all service men and women!

Im going off in to the navy in 2 days and was wondering if anyone could help me with a little issue ive been having,
    While im in Raleigh i will be also havin a month summer holiday during it, and was wondering if we can wear uniform for when we get off for summer... i want to wear my uniform for my grandad to see as this may be the last time i see him as he is in poor health :( do you think i would be allowed if asked nicely? or should i not bother asking?

Many thanks to all who reply.
    Deniz

2. Deniz,

Take it, wear it and make your Grandad very proud. Wearing of uniform in public is actively encouraged now, and so as long as you don't end up out of your face in some bar you should be ok. There are others on here who know the rules far better than me but I can't see any problem in (rightly) showing off to your family.

3. Be proud young man, for your Grandads sake, take it home and wear it for him, anyone says that you can`t refer them to me.

4. well, its because i havent yet passed raleigh, the summer break is during my time at raleigh, therefore i am not a RN recruit...so do you think it would be a problem? i mean i will ask whilst im there for sure but i do not want to ask something stupid and make them think im a fool...

Thank you for replying!
    Deniz

5. Why would anyone think that you are a fool? If they do, as i`ve said, refer them to me, if not me, this site.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you actually get issued your uniform in the short time before you go on summer leave there's absolutely no reason why not, whether you've finished training or otherwise.

I have a feeling your Number One uniform may not be issued within the first four weeks- happy to stand corrected.

Edited to add uniform link

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Take it to Grandads house and change there, make sure you get some photos of the two of you together. No one else will know so there are no problems

8. I agree with Janner, I did it when i was a Nod at CTC, my grandad had had his 3rd stroke. Im not saying it was due to me but he visibily perked up and recovered living for another 9yrs.

9. no reason why you cant take your no 4.s home.. i did on xmas leave to get them washed lol.

4's mean navy blue shirt and trousers

10. thank you very much :)
    Deniz

11. I doubt you will have your no 1's by then but you should have your no 4's and and no 3's.

12. Mate just how ill is your grandad ? Would he not be able to come and see your passing out parade? Surely that would be a much prouder moment for him, especially if you don't get your No1 uniform until about the sixth week (IIRC).

13. my grandad lives in another country (Kosovo) hes never been on an aeroplane before and refuses to get on one, we have tried to bring him over for him to see a doctor but he refuses.... he doesnt even go to the local shops anymore as he gets to tired.
    He has a problem with hes right leg, my mother said that it could be gangreen.
    Memory loss, only remembers distant memories not recent ones.
    So you see as much as i would love for him to see me pass, i am very sad that it is a very hard thing for him to do.

Deniz

14. A month off and you've hardly started? Ye gods young man you've fallen on your feet already..
    Wear your uniform (if you have it) with pride..
    Take a hint; never refuse anything reasonable to someone at the other end of lifes scale :thumright:

15. That is the best advice that's been on this forum for a long time.

16. d_menace, Hig (below) was wearing his uniform several years before he joined up, so don't let it worry you..... ;)

[​IMG]

17. Thingy, why are you such an arse, when a young man wishes to do something for his Grandfather?. FFS get a grip.

18. Higs, nothing in Thingy's post is anti him wearing the uniform for his grandfather. it was just a light hearted comment.
    Anyway looking at your photo in uniform it's a wonder the Chief Andler ain't picked you up for an aircut :thumright:

19. I get mocked when i take the mick out of Newbies, and i get mocked if i don`t, Show the pic Slim, talks cheap.

20. Thingy's put up the pick Higs.
    Now of course it isn't you it's just a bit of fun.
    Lets face it when we joined we had it hard, just tarring my pigtail took a make & mend.
    Pontius Pilot wouldn't obey the handlers directions either. :thumright: