Uniform

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lynx101, May 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Considering that one gets into BRNC etc, do you have to buy your own uniform? I mean the relaly top notch formal wear? Do you have to get it tailored or is it all done in S M L XL type sizes?
    thanks

2. I think I know this one - correct me if I'm wrong everyone...

You measure yourself before you go; there's a form in your joining pack that you fill in. It includes everything from glove size (measuring your hand diagonally) to your inside leg measurement and foot size. You send it all off before you go and they give you a selection of items within your size range to try on. I believe the first few nights are spent finding kit that fits you.

With formal uniform, they give it to you on a sort of provisional basis. You keep all the receipts and, proving you can hand the receipts back at the end of training, you don't have to pay. If you lose your receipts or items of kit, you have to pay for them.

I could be wrong, of course, 'cause I'm not at BRNC yet myself, but I just got my joining pack and that's what it says.

3. you are issued all uniform. There are some small extras that you will need to buy (or want to buy). All working uniform is provided in standard NATO sizes (there is a military tailors on site for formal wear).

4. Your uniform suits are tailored from off-the-peg by a tailor who you will be timetabled to see. It is provided as issue kit: there are no receipts and you do not have to pay.

Don't get confused with the Army, where you are given an allowance and you can choose to go to a cheaper or more expensive tailor. The latter will incur a personal cost, but the Infantry guys love a bit of that.

5. as do the Hussars......(well they have a tailor for everything, including their socks, on camp)

6. cheers guys for the quick response

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Do Officers now get Mess Undress issued?

8. NS - we get the No 2 suit with a white waistcoat (Mess Dress, or 2A) but also get a black cummerbund (Mess Undress, or 2B). There is an option with 2B to wear a black waistcoat, but you have to buy it yourself. AFAIK, there is no difference between 2A and 2B for the ladies.

9. No way...what, really?

What about their pants?

10. What he said, you will be touched up by a Naval tailor, most exiting it is.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Thanks for that- I honestly thought you had to buy the Mess Dress yourselves, which I always thought unfair when you have to wear it relatively frequently at official functions.

12. Hi whats the difference between shoulder board and eppaulettes? I know one is longer etc but what circumstances call for which to be worn.

13. Shoulder boards are worn (infrequently) by officers who accept responsibility. Normally though the shoulders are allowed to slope so that any responsibility can be offloaded to the CPOs and POs without hindrance. :thumright:

14. i don't get it :)

15. No, but we all did. :nemo:

16. I though that was called delegation!!!

17. No - they're development opportunities