Uniform - Shorts......

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bjid, Mar 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After recently watching several documentaries about the Royal Navy, I have noticed that in the tropics, standard issue uniform seems to be short, or shorts and socks.

What is the exact specification for particular uniforms?

However unlikely, is there any way to not to wear shorts/shorts and long socks....
  2. Technical branches on Submarines, overalls or 8`s or whatever they are called these days
  3. Norm, what are you doing watching documentaries featuring matelots in shorts? You'll be watching the volleyball scenes in top gun telling us they're out of rig of the day next. The last time I bought some shorts from sew-sew I don't think he consulted a BR before running his singer over some thin blueish polycotton.

In answer to your question, if you have legs like Steven Hawking, or look like a guy riding a chicken, get a draft to the Clyde. No danger of sun exposure there.
  4. ?? Your question indicates you may some aversion to wearing shorts (?) so its worth pointing out to you that PT Rig will be worn early and frequently during initial training – Well before you get anywhere the Tropics……

Tables & Photographs depicting ALL RN Uniforms are at BRd 81 Annex 3A.

See http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/package/66/brd81book/an03a.pdf

For the various Tropical Rigs in particular see pages 42 – 45 at that pdf file
  5. bjid

Is there something about wearing shorts which you find particularly alarming?
  6. Join the crabs, their trop rig is as camp as a row of pink tents!!!!
  7. To be perfectly honest I just think that they look ridiculous and to be brutally honest, rather camp especially the long socks shorts combination.

It's not a major issue by the way ;)
  8. Ah, but when ashore.......... :blob2:

On a trip which involved quite a long time based in San Diego (and another time in Andros) I wore uniform shorts a lot. In fact, as there was only us there, we tended to make up our rig as we fancied!

Couldn't have been too bad, kept getting called 'cute'! :sign12:
  9. It's the Royal Navy - of course it's camp!

You sound weird anyhow - shorts when it's hot are logical wear surely? My legs are like sparrow's but once the temperature rises I inflict them on the general public without a second thought.
  10. Oh my ******* god!
  11. Am pretty sure this has got to be a wind up if bjid is serious about joining up. right?
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

We just gave our denims to the choggies and they turned them into shorts, that and pussers sandals is for winners.

When you go ashore it's Union Jack shorts, desert boots and twelve pints down your T-shirt, real fanny magnet clothing.

Man up you pussy, who ever said uniform had to look good.
  13. Anyone who doesn't have their combats tailored is gay.
  14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

..... That goes with out saying mate...
  15. Oh dear.....
    bjid obviously recalls the horror of his schooldays.
    What a pity that RM Landing Craft crew are almost permanently in shorts much like these....
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think the problem may be that bjid has an arse like a dray horse so must be morbidly (and disgustingly) obese so unliklely to pass the fitness test for the RN anyway.
  17. this thread seems to have been turned on my head

I take it however the answer is no? ;)
  18. Bjid - are you the same callsign posting over on ARRSE?
  19. Killick of the patrol Hong Kong 1971 rig :- White front, white shorts, knee length blue socks (refuse to call them stockings), boots and wait for it..........gaiters. Nobody messed with us because they were too busy pissing themselves laughing.
  20. Yes. It would seem i have a history of having my questions misinterpreted.