Uniform Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gingernut700, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I am doing research for a project on the history of military uniforms. I was wondering if anyone can remember which year Royal Navy uniforms changed from the old numbering system to the new numbering system as I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Also, does anyone know what the guidelines are as far as officers wearing ceremonial swords i.e. on what occasions do they wear them within the confines of the Navy and on what occasions would they be worn in public?

Many thanks,

Ginge

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not trying to throw this thread off track but a quick question. Do Naval officers own there own swords as an army or RM officer would, or because they wear them so little are they a "pooled" item that gets signed out?

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try the search button at the top of the page, loads of comments on this subject. :roll: :lol: :wink:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You could always PM Hig on this one Blobbs- he's always happy to help...

Alternatively, the Royal Navy website has a fair bit on the subject also.

5. wet_blobby

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Its a mixture of both. Some buy one, some get them as prizes and some are given them as presents. The rest sign them out from a nearby armoury as and when required. Which is very infrequently.

7. Yep, deck shoes replaced the old pussers sandals, got a couple of pairs, cheaper than buying them :lol:

8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes - they have replaced the tropical sandals we used to get issued.

9. wet_blobby

Thank you kind Sirs.. :)

10. wet_blobby

Tropical sandals......I thought it would be a good idea to use light tan polish on them one boring day in the Caribbean..........they turned pink!! :oops:

11. I remember 8's changing to 4's but it was after April 1997. Well it didn't get implemented until way after then iirc on board.

I got issued with timberland deck shoes. They weren't cheap shoes, which is why they soon brought out the cheaper option deck shoe which was far less comfortable imo

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

March 2002, in accordance with the current RN/RM Blue/White uniform posters on display in ships and establishments... :wink:

13. wet_blobby

Now that SPB has sorted the original question let's go off on a uniform related tangent...(because I haven't already..)

Does Royal still get to wear that lovely no 6 (?) light tropical khaki uniform complete with pith helmet? I've got an essense phot of a young thruster dressed in that tat... :oops:

....But it gets better....khaki shorts, Corps stable belt, stone shirt and knee length socks....fcuk we looked the biz.. :p