Uniform Gloves

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kyle, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question folks, which I'd like to put to a careers advisor if I ever get the chance to speak to one.

Is it possibly to wear gloves with standard RN uniform? For, say, medical purposes?

I ask as I'm extremely interested about applying after university, but I have constant sweaty palms (mild hyperhidrosis apparently). Its not very bad, but it is a nuisance at times. I was hoping I may be allowed to wear some sort of standard uniform gloves, or if not at least a pair of normal suit gloves (black leather for example).

Anyhow, its just a quicky, just incase anybody knows. If not I'll put it to an RN careers advisor when I'm nearby.

2. Us blue badge wrens used to have black leather gloves which in the winter one had to either be wearing outside or carrying visibly.

I am told that the memory of it gets men of a certain age quite over-heated. Indeed a gentleman (I use that term loosely!) of my acquaintance recently had to get kitchen tissue.

3. Kyle

Please be sure to check your PMs (the envelope under the User Info top right of the page).

4. Hi Kyle,

I am a RN/RM careers advisor.

I've never come across this one before, but it's very unlikely that you would be allowed to wear gloves whilst in formal uniform.

The best thing you can do is pop into your nearest careers office and ask to see the AFCO ME about your condition. Your medical condition may well prevent you from joining th RN anyway.

Many regards

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

5. Right ho! Thanks.

I'll may a quick trip in the next few days hopefully.

6. Make a good leckey!

7. Sorry about that,next time I'll use the curtains! :tp:

8. Kyle, has your consultant dermatologist referred you to treatment. You can use alumimium hexahydrite but for palmar hyperhydrosis there are two treatments available from the NHS (and injections of Botalinum toxin from some private clinics):

conservative treatment: iontophoresis

radical treatment: thoracoscopic sympathectomy

I suggest trying the former before undertaking the radical option, which has risks.

Steve.

9. Yeah, I've looked into treatment quite heavily (and tried a few options).

I've refused to have the surgery, mainly due to the usual side effects, and I've tried Iontophoresis. Iontophoresis works, but I'm doubting whether or not I'd be allowed to continue treatment while in service - mainly as I have to repeat the treatment once per week.

10. Shocking!

11. new an old n bold greenie many moons ago that used to run his fingers down the 24v DC fuse panel till he found the blown one.

Ouch, ooh, ahh, bugger, sh*t, ouch, nothing.ahh there it is!

12. -No comment-

13. :thumright: Thanks for that.

I am 11 hours 13 minutes into a sh1t of a 12 hour shift. I needed a lift.

Cheers, brought a smile to my face. :lol: :lol: :thumright:

14. I don't blame you for avoiding surgery. I was offered thoracoscopic sympathectomy to treat my hyperhydriosis of the forehead some years ago but was put off by the possible effects of the surgery. Sadly iontophoresis is not available for forehead use! :(

15. Sweating like a Potential Ossifer at an AIB, that's a new one.

16. The sweaty gipper thread has been heavily censored why??

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Simply because a polite question is best answered with an initially polite response rather than laying into someone from the outset. The first response usually sets the tone of those that follow.

By all means continue with your tirade :thumright:

18. :thumright:

19. Kyle

Apols for delay - I've been away on exercise for the past week.

Unfortuantely your condition (hyperhidrosis) is one of those on the list which precludes entry into the Armed Forces. It's mainly for reasons inferred throughout this thread - the treatment is complicated and treatment options have significant risks.

Sorry.

20. Heh. No worries.

Back to the old Civvy job plan then.

Cheers anyway folks.