Uni?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, May 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey

First off, not asking you lot to make life choices for me :thumright: rather asking about your personal experiences.

Hoping to join the FAA/CHF as a pilot, am doing Maths, Electronics and Geography at A level and am expecting to get A's and B's if all goes to plan

If you've been to Uni, would you say you benefitted from if, apart from having the degree? Will it make *that* much of a difference when you're an officer, apart from the initial pay increase over non-grad officers?

Thanks

2. imho you should go to uni and get a degree first, that way, if things don't go to plan or the unexpected happens, you have something to fall back on.

3. Depends how you see your career panning out, if you only want to fly for 12 to 16 years then get out a degree will be of little benefit in the service and the utility will have expired by the time you're on the job market. If you see yourself gunning for promotion and increased responsibility then the process of doing a proper degree will give you skills that you can exploit in that. The subject isn't all that important, it's the research, communication and analysis that is pretty extensible.

4. If you have the opportunity to go to university and study for a real degree, rather than some of the useless ones that are on offer today then go for the degree. If you don't go chances are you will regret it later in life.
    Why not try to get into a Uni near home so that you can continue living with your parents and hopefully not rack up a massive debt?

5. agree with most of what you say Slim. But. Not so sure about going to a local university just to avoid debt. That' ssomething you must of course decide for yourself but I would certainly aim to go away to uni. From what I remember when I was at uni living with your parents could be a severely life limiting option! You would probably find it quite difficult to have the same sort of independence as everyone round you anyway.

I did a degree before joining up and, when I was medically chopped 4 years down the line, was bl**dy glad that I had. Expect the unexpected and you won't go far wrong.

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I would have a look at the Flying Start in service degree. Get flying while you are young and the seperation issues not so important - then, as you reach late 20's and the first career point you can leave with the quals having had a good time and still young enough to start the next stage of your life.....

7. Suppose it depends on the type of parents. My daughter did her degree at Sunderland (we live in Wokingham) I was always eager to pay her a visit and have a night out with the students.
    Would have been far cheaper for her if she had lived at home and gone to Reading Uni, I would have had far more nights out, so far more expensive for me..

8. im at uni atm and am joining up as an engineering officer afterwards.
    1. As mentioned by most of the people above its something u can always fall back on IF u find the navy isnt for u or u have 2 leave sooner than u want (provided u do a proper degree!!!)
    2. Uni is a brilliant life experience!! Yes u end up in debt but in my personal opinion its well worth it. I know a couple of people who live with their parents around leicster/notts (im at loughborough uni) and in my opinion they dont get the most out of the experience as they are always going home and rarely go out in the evenings. Personally i wasnt ready to join up b4 uni, and i feel that uni has def prepared me and developed me ready for IOT.

9. Hope when you do your final dissertation and engineering report that you have unlearned text speak.

10. Cool :)

Thanks for the replies

Pretty much everyone I talked to in person, and on here seems to think its a good idea... I'd be pretttyyy stupid not to take that on board :)

Everyone seems to think its an amazing experience so mayyy have to give it a bash and go RNR/TA during to still have a mil thing to do :)

Thanks

11. How did you manage to gain access to a university with such a derisory understanding of the English language?

2BM

12. To be honest, I don't think you can judge my intellectual ability on a forum post! I didn't realise my post was going to be dissected! I shall write with proper English in the future!

Better Rowan? Do you want to go through my dissertation when i do it? As you seem to be so interested in my grammar!

13. A shame you didn't decide to start with this post.

14. Hello,
    It is a major issue for me aswell at the moment deciding to go to Uni or just join after A levels , also hoping to join as a Pilot, I have done the SIFT interveiw and Phycometric test, and now have the Flying Aptitude and AIB in September.I think Univeristy is a good idea if you do a good degree , I am trying to get a Uni scholarship.

15. A good degree lasts you a lifetime, your RN pilots wings may lose their shine after a few years and may be of little use to you outside the service.
    Go for a good education first, you will still have time to join the RN flying club later.

16. Good luck with your AIB J. Have look at some of the AIB threads, they are really helpful. I wish I knew RR existed when I did my AIB, would've helped loads!!
    I don't know much about the Pilot side of the Navy but having a degree can surely only be an advantage. Plus you could join the flying club at uni and get some flying hours in if you haven't already, that could only help!

17. letthecatoutofthebag
    I did say a GOOD Degree.
    Problem is that if you don't go to university while young it gets a great deal more difficult to go when older.
    I know many have done it but it is difficult. Three years to a degree, making sure that it is recognised by the RN I believe gives accelerated promotion and extra pay. OK you may be three years behind others who started when you commenced university but so what. As for debt, with correct money management a little part time work there is no real reason to be too deep in debt.
    I don't have a degree, my HNC was gained as a mature (very) student and I wish the same opportunities for a university education had been available in the 60s. Well perhaps not, I wouldn't have taken advantage of them as a secondary modern schoolboy trained for either a miner or factory fodder.

18. I grew up a lot at university, and I learned a lot more than was on the syllabus of my degree. I also had a really good time for most of the three years, made some lifelong friends and had a good go at drinking Russia dry, would recommend it to anyone.

Make sure you get a decent degree in a respectable subject though, if you follow on from your A level subjects you shouldn't go far wrong.

19. It really does depend on what you do with it afterwards, yes a good degree will develop broader skills, but a few years afterwards it's what you've done with those skills that will contribute to getting a job, not just having the degree.

Nowadays, if I'm interviewing candidates, I'll generally explore what they thought they gained from their degree, in the round, then probe more about how those skills have been exploited and developed since. Degrees don't carry some mystique about them, they're a tool and I'd rather employ someone who's learned how to use it, rather than burnished the label on it for a few years.

In the service there are opportunities to really do that, but some branches are better than others. I'm not convinced that aircrew roles really allow much opportunity, unless one opts to do broadening jobs and distinguish themselves from the herd.

Service leavers do seem to be very poor at articulating what they're done in their careers which demonstrate these things though, and the resettlement package isn't great at drawing these things out.

I'd agree that generally it's worth doing a good degree in a sensible subject, but the main benefit comes from really working the broader skills.

20. I sincerely believe that present governments attitude that all and sundry must go to university and obtain a degree has lead to the devaluation of ALL degrees. Anyone who reads my posts on both here and ROMFT will know that I consider Education to be of paramount importance, not only at degree level but also at lower levels. Reading some postings by young newbies supposedly with GCSE English makes me cringe.
    Not everyone has the aptitude to study for a degree, however universities and colleges of further education need the cash so devise pointless, worthless degrees.
    Time for a change, how about ALL school leavers having a good understanding of written English and Basic mathematics (arithmetic)?
    Having had my rant I still believe in good degrees for those able to attain them.