Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uni graduate scheme etc

I need help.. looking for info for a friend who is considering the university bursary scheme... he ia wonderin what he rates of pay are at the end of it... commitment period and how quickly promotion comes around for a medical doctor....

Any help is appreciated :)

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
This is probably going to be an outstandingly stupid question I know, but do you need a degree to count as a graduate?

I'll explain: I've now spent 5 years at university, and there is a fairly good chance I will not get a degree, which I admit is entirely my fault as I spent more time enjoying being a student and messing around with the military than studying. I have completed enough to have a diploma in higher education, so is this enough to count me as a graduate? I haven't found anywhere that says.

Also, if you join as an officer but not a graduate what rank are you when you pass out from BRNC? Again, not found anything that says what rank you are exactly, just the pay scales. Are you a Midshipman or Sub-lieutenant but just on lower pay?

Answers to any and all of these would be appreciated please!

Sentenashi

War Hero
Buggerit I think after you leave BRNC as aircrew, you spend a year as sub-lieutenant before being promoted to lieutenant after completing your training, that is, spending a year in the service is covered in your training.

That is, if you're a non-graduate, i don't know about being a graduate because I don't want to go to uni at all.

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
I know if you go in as a graduate you are paid as a subbie whilst you're at BRNC, when you pass out you go straight to subbie and then automatic promotion to Lt upon receipt of your wings, just wasn't sure what happened if non-graduate. I'm not too bothered really, just curious, as even though my pay at BRNC is about 1k less than I have now, there'll be much less going out every month so it's really a pay rise!

Sentenashi

War Hero
No problemo.

It's all very complicated, I don't know why they don't just say "Here's what we're looking for, if you have it, please have this wad of cash and this contract, if you don't, go the hell away.

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
I think it's an intelligence test - if you can work it out then they'll let you have a commission! Think they must be getting desperate, was watching Warship and thought they must be letting anyone into BRNC these days! :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
J Could I Delay My Entry Date To Finish Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MenInSlacks RNR Officer during Uni Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Joining the reserves at uni. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
dirtyweeally Uni or Continue Application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D RN Careers advice, RN or UNI? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
J General uni prep I can do Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
scouse So it's back to Uni then, and Freshers Week for the over 60s Diamond Lil's 19
M Joining Before/After Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
U Casting for new World War 3 drama looking for Military men. Can you help? - Uni-versa The Corps 15
M Uni Bursary/Cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Navy or Uni?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
B RMR whilst at uni? RMR 1
Joint_Force_Harrier Bsc(Hons) Engineering Management Lincoln Uni The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
O Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
F off to uni and goin in the reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
feckless-tom RMR walst at uni RMR 16
S Degtree's in Uni for the Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
R uni or navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L Uni/ARRSE/RR Crawl - Run Ashore type thing STUDENTS Social & Reunions 1
MoD_RSS Paraguayans graduate from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apply for part time and post graduate master's student finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Somali soldiers graduate from UK-led training course MoD News 0
MoD_RSS VOA launches its 2020 graduate scheme MoD News 0
09traej RFA Engineering Cadetship - Graduate RFA 13
MoD_RSS Somali National Army Personnel graduate from UK led training in Baidoa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Glasgow employer launches Graduate Apprenticeship Programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First generation of Unlocked prison officers graduate as scheme expands to north MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graduate earnings remain high MoD News 0
tangerine Graduate joining as a rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
MoD_RSS Press release: Third-year engineering apprentices graduate to roles in Dstl MoD News 0
B RN Graduate Scheme - Past Medical OD Joining the Royal Navy 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl opens graduate recruitment scheme for 2017 MoD News 0
B Joining the Navy as a graduate engineer- newbie alert Joining the Royal Navy 7
B Entry as a Graduate Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 116
W Non Graduate Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Graduate RF Engineer The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
V Graduate Career Change to RN - Advice Needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S graduate rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Non Graduate Pay for 22Yr Old Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
Chalky Midshipman as a Graduate UY? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Kelborn Graduate entry vs non graduate officer entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L An all graduate navy The Quarterdeck 40
A Salary Sacrifice Scheme - Buying a car? Motoring 2
MoD_RSS Designated premises scheme: letter to directors of adult social services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Afghan interpreters to move to the UK as scheme extends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £3 billion affordable housing guarantee scheme to be operated by Ara Venn MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £500 million Film and TV Production Restart Scheme officially opens from today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Covid support for Welsh businesses - Job Support Scheme expanded MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 28 south-east employers have been recognised in the 2020 Silver Employer Recognition Scheme Awards MoD News 0