Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uni Bursary/Cadetship

Marshmallow

Badgeman
Ok, so basically I want to know the selection process of getting a standard uni bursary and the likelihood of getting one! (£1500 per year) I asked in my AFCO and they didn't have too much information on it, only that they only give out a handful each year!

Added Info: I am in my first year at A level and about to start A2 in September. I take Maths, Physics, Geography and Spanish. Also, I intend to study Geography at Bristol Uni (If I get in) and I want to apply for a Warfare Officer. (I have passed the psychometric test and have had the eye test.)

Thanks in advance.

soleil

War Hero
Marshmallow

Your processing will continue along the standard route ie you will have a Medical and then pass your Pre-Joining Fitness Test. You will then have to pass your AIB:

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/f087bc28096f46d9a5a928d6bd99facb-0x0.pdf

A selection board then chooses the recipients of a bursary from those in the bursary pool who have passed their AIBs.

I suggest that you consider that you have as good a chance as any other applicant and then give it your best shot.

What do your GCSE results look like?

PS If you go to Bristol, you will be joining the URNU there, which will be brilliant fun:

HMS Trumpeter | Royal Navy

URNU | Royal Navy

Joining Bristol URNU

Last edited:

Marshmallow

Badgeman
Marshmallow

Your processing will continue along the standard route ie you will have a Medical and then pass your Pre-Joining Fitness Test. You will then have to pass your AIB:

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/f087bc28096f46d9a5a928d6bd99facb-0x0.pdf

A selection board then chooses the recipients of a bursary from those in the bursary pool who have passed their AIBs.

I suggest that you consider that you have as good a chance as any other applicant and then give it your best shot.

What do your GCSE results look like?

PS If you go to Bristol, you will be joining the URNU there, which will be brilliant fun:

HMS Trumpeter | Royal Navy

URNU | Royal Navy

Joining Bristol URNU

Firstly, thanks for the links and does that mean I will be doing my AIB while doing A2?
In reply to the GCSE's:
I got 7 A*s in Maths, English Lit., Spanish, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Religious philosophy and Ethics. And 3 A's in Geography, English Lang. and Graphics. Also a Distinction in IT.

soleil

War Hero
Firstly, thanks for the links and does that mean I will be doing my AIB while doing A2?
In reply to the GCSE's:

I got 7 A*s in Maths, English Lit., Spanish, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Religious philosophy and Ethics. And 3 A's in Geography, English Lang. and Graphics. Also a Distinction in IT.

That's a super set of GCSE results you have there, M. That should see you through the initial educational filter applied to bursary applicants, no problem there.

Bursary candidates can apply for sponsorship at any time before the start of their final year (Engineers can apply at any stage before graduation), so you could wait till later, but, as bursaries are normally awarded for 3 years, it might be in your interests to get things done and dusted before your degree starts. The AIB schedules AIBs for applicants at school with the demands of their studies in mind eg the AIB ringfences a group of AIB dates just before Christmas for applicants who are applying for scholarships and who will be sitting their GCSEs the following summer. I'm sure that, if you were AIBd during your Upper Sixth, the timing wouldn't interfere with your exams.

Acquaint courses are held during Uni vacations, by the way and Bursars are expected to participate.

Marshmallow

Badgeman
I guess I'll just have to wait till August till I get my AS Level results and A2 Level predicted grades! Thanks for all the help/info by the way it has been very helpful!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
J Could I Delay My Entry Date To Finish Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MenInSlacks RNR Officer during Uni Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Joining the reserves at uni. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
dirtyweeally Uni or Continue Application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D RN Careers advice, RN or UNI? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
J General uni prep I can do Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
scouse So it's back to Uni then, and Freshers Week for the over 60s Diamond Lil's 19
M Joining Before/After Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
U Casting for new World War 3 drama looking for Military men. Can you help? - Uni-versa The Corps 15
B Navy or Uni?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
B RMR whilst at uni? RMR 1
Joint_Force_Harrier Bsc(Hons) Engineering Management Lincoln Uni The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
M Uni graduate scheme etc Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
O Uni? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
F off to uni and goin in the reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
feckless-tom RMR walst at uni RMR 16
S Degtree's in Uni for the Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
R uni or navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L Uni/ARRSE/RR Crawl - Run Ashore type thing STUDENTS Social & Reunions 1
MoD_RSS Up to £35k bursary and early career payments for new teachers MoD News 0
soleil "New Bursary To Get Veterans Into Teaching" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 26
W Technical Bursary and some Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Bursary Board Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
G Royal Marine University Bursary Applicant Training Diary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S AFCO & Bursary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
P Information systems engineer officer and the Technical bursary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
09traej RFA Engineering Cadetship - Graduate RFA 13
S Applying for the medical officer cadetship during med school? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Medical Officer Cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Applying for Medical Cadetship for both RN and Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Medical Cadetship Upper Age Limit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Changing mid cadetship RFA 4
T Medical officer cadetship Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Medical Officer Cadetship - Definitive Guide! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
O sift interview for medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Can i become a deck officer without cadetship? RFA 8
T Deck Officer (Cadetship) Interview RFA 13
S Engineering Cadetship Fitness/Basic Training RFA 6
B Medical Officer Cadetship Forms! HELP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
U Medical Cadetship + RMR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
YOU_WONT_MAKE_IT_SON Cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11