Uni Bursary/Cadetship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Marshmallow, Jun 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so basically I want to know the selection process of getting a standard uni bursary and the likelihood of getting one! (£1500 per year) I asked in my AFCO and they didn't have too much information on it, only that they only give out a handful each year!

Added Info: I am in my first year at A level and about to start A2 in September. I take Maths, Physics, Geography and Spanish. Also, I intend to study Geography at Bristol Uni (If I get in) and I want to apply for a Warfare Officer. (I have passed the psychometric test and have had the eye test.)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Marshmallow

Your processing will continue along the standard route ie you will have a Medical and then pass your Pre-Joining Fitness Test. You will then have to pass your AIB:

A selection board then chooses the recipients of a bursary from those in the bursary pool who have passed their AIBs.

I suggest that you consider that you have as good a chance as any other applicant and then give it your best shot.

What do your GCSE results look like?

PS If you go to Bristol, you will be joining the URNU there, which will be brilliant fun:

HMS Trumpeter | Royal Navy

URNU | Royal Navy

Joining Bristol URNU
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A bit of A4 paper, like the rest of us I should think.

Ba Dum Tish.... I Thangyowww......
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Firstly, thanks for the links and does that mean I will be doing my AIB while doing A2?
    In reply to the GCSE's:
    I got 7 A*s in Maths, English Lit., Spanish, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Religious philosophy and Ethics. And 3 A's in Geography, English Lang. and Graphics. Also a Distinction in IT.
  5. That's a super set of GCSE results you have there, M. That should see you through the initial educational filter applied to bursary applicants, no problem there.

Bursary candidates can apply for sponsorship at any time before the start of their final year (Engineers can apply at any stage before graduation), so you could wait till later, but, as bursaries are normally awarded for 3 years, it might be in your interests to get things done and dusted before your degree starts. The AIB schedules AIBs for applicants at school with the demands of their studies in mind eg the AIB ringfences a group of AIB dates just before Christmas for applicants who are applying for scholarships and who will be sitting their GCSEs the following summer. I'm sure that, if you were AIBd during your Upper Sixth, the timing wouldn't interfere with your exams.

Acquaint courses are held during Uni vacations, by the way and Bursars are expected to participate.
  6. I guess I'll just have to wait till August till I get my AS Level results and A2 Level predicted grades! Thanks for all the help/info by the way it has been very helpful!
    • Like Like x 1