Unhappy Junior Ratings

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Nicks, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it correct that a Junior Rate under the age of 18 can still leave at anytime before there 18th Birthday with very short notice ?
  2. I may be mistaken (it has been known :) ) but I thought it was 17 and a half that you became an adult in the forces.
  3. I thought that to but have been informed that they can still get out before there 18th Birthday,so Im just trying to see what the actual wording for this is.
  4. Hmm,
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unhappy Junior is limited to 18 as I remember..... a current DO is needed..
  6. Discharge Shore - unhappy junior is the one you want off the top of my head. Why?
  7. If this is the case how much notice do they have to give please?
  8. Lamri, In the ROC you were a grown-up at 18, but in my case it has only ever been on paper! :biggrin:

I think you're too late Nicks! You should have applied in 1974!!! :confused3: :biggrin:

I hope Nicholson doesn't want out quite yet?
  9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Unhappy under 18's policy is laid down in BR8748, haven't got a copy on me at the moment but off the top of my head no notice is required, go to your DO tell him/her, they will counsel you to ensure you are making the decision for the right reasons and you could be out in as little as a week. Just make sure you are unhappy! the grass isn't always greener on the other side and chances are you have no real insight into the RN yet as you will probably be still in training !
  10. So what happened to the 6 month from the date of joining PVR rules.

I thought if you didn't PVR in time you had to do 2.5 yrs from age of 17.5 and then work 18 months notice.

How easy they get it these days......incoming !
  11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

6 month rule still applies except for under 18's who come under different rules being children. Notice period is now down to 12 months.
  12. [quote="Always_a_Civvy"

I hope Nicholson doesn't want out quite yet?[/quote]

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You rang?

The rules state:

You may submit two weeks notice to leave the Service at any time after you have served 28 days up until you have served 6 months.

Up until the the age of 18, you may be discharged (SHORE) "Unhappy under 18" - not called Junior anymore, at Commanding Officers discretion. (BR8748, Change 18, Chapter 10, Art 1010, para 6). Off the top of my head (NOT!!!)

All others: After this period, you must complete your Standard Initial Training Period (SITP) & then complete 2 years 6 months return of service before you can submit 12 months notice to leave.

It is important to note that your SITP varies from Trade to trade, as indicated in BR 8748, when they finally manage to keep track of all the changes in training! (eg: Raleigh extending to 9 weeks phase one, branch name changes etc.,)

The new contracts are either 18 years long or up until the age of 40 years, whichever is longer.

(Artificers & Nursies, have to complete 3 years, 6 months return of service after completing SITP)

In answer to the original question:

Yup, if you're a right misery guts!