Unhappy GF

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Red_man, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there all. First post so excuse rambling.

Up to security clearance stage now to join as ET(ME). Originally was going to go for engineering officer but was told by some snooty lad in the AFCO that my degree was not on the accepted list. Turns out it was on the list along (well done that man). Anyway I now think i will join as rating and matelot it up for a year before going for an AIB, always having the ET(ME) job in hand and taking the scenic route to officerdom.

Now for my rant. My girlfriend REALLY doesn't want me join. She thinks i'll be permenantly away and well never see each other. Told her it wasn't as bad as she thought it was and i'm joining anyway. Anyone else in the same boat? thanks
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Trade her in for a new one mate. welcome to RR
  3. She needs you more than you need her.

It's not as bad as it seems unless she lives somewhere too far to travel to weekends.
  4. Don't worry about the rambling most of us do although some have the excuse of senility. Good luck and I suspect you are doing the right thing, many people survive the separation, if they want to.
  5. You're not wrong there chief. She's probably going to move to pompey or wherever I end up and get a job on the local rag (she's a journalist). I suspect it isn't going to work out. She's very nice but not worth wasting a career over. You never know though we might make it go and live happily ever after
  6. It really all depends on what you personally value and prioritise.
  7. Do what you need to do for you, If you're meant to be together you can and will sort yourselves out and work through this.

If it doesnt last then, as the old saying goes there are plenty of other fish in the sea etc...

it sounds as though you know your answer already though,

'I suspect it isn't going to work out. She's very nice but not worth wasting a career over. You never know though we might make it go and live happily ever after'

Its sh1t when this happens, give it a shot then at least you can say you both tried!
  8. Sad twat that I am, but if I were you, I would join and not worry about what she has to say and let her '"adapt" to your new career.

Final point - there is only ONE ROYAL NAVY, but PLENTY of girlfriends. :)
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It takes a special women to go out with a matelot...

...or, a bunch of average ones! :wink:
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to RR.

Generally if applying to join as a Graduate Entry, upon presenting your Degree (certificate) at your OCLC, they should verify your Degree is actually accredited with the appropriate Engineering Institution. If there is any query it is usually referred to the AIB for verification. It's certainly not the thing to simply check over the telephone for example & it would be interesting to discover who was the person whom you spoke to. Fortunately you are aware of this before you join & ET(ME) is currently around 6 months wait so there's no reason why you shouldn't apply as an officer simultaneously, then if unsuccessful, join as a rating.

As stated on a similar thread it takes a strong relationship to deal with the separation aspects in any partnership.

Good luck.
  11. Jesus, it must be coming up to Valentines Day, this is like the 3rd thread on "relationships" this week!

I broke up with my boyfriend about a week before going to AIB, after he was more than supportive in the lead up, when things really started happening, he started questioning why my career was being placed before him.

No brainer to me.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Red Man, just clicked!

I don't suppose your Careers Adviser that interviewed you for ET(ME) two weeks ago was a dead good looking & advised you last week to double-check with the ACLO regarding your Degree was he?

Small world eh?
    (Still wouldn't like to have to paint it, mind!)

Good luck fella.
  13. The very same ninja.
    I too would like to meet the lump headed fool who told me I had the wrong degree, however I would still like to join as a rating and apply for an AIB from within the service. I would just sneak under the age limit. As I say maybe it's maddness but i'd love to be a matelot for a bit and all of my previous work exp is in hands on engineering. I hope this explains my decision
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, good news, it's one way to get a bit of practical "hands-on" first before going for selection from within the service.

Now you've moved further South & changed AFCO, hope all continues to go well for you!
  15. You are the king of AFCO's ninja. They can't match you down here(cries into pint). I'll remember you when they make me an admiral.
  16. I would apply simaltaneously for entry - if only because you may find it harder to get papers raised and through the CW hurdle once in the job. Not sure, but can you get papers raised while undergoing training?
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Yes. In fact you might get them raised at Raleigh if you show enough promise. Not normal but depends how good you are.

However once you raise your papers remember that everyone will look at you differently. Officers will be assessing you to see if you could do their job, SR will think "They could be my boss, would I want them?" and your mess mates will take the pee.

So be sure when you apply, give it all and if successful welcome to the club.
  18. Thanks for advice folks. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing. Will bash AFCO's ears when I take the security forms back. I'm given to understand that if I announce my intentions quickly at Raleigh I will be on the way even it takes a while to go through. I can take a bit of ribbing and dole it out as well as any scouser can too.

Now have to tell the ladyfriend to chill the f*kc out. She even phones me at lunchtimes at work because she can't bear not talking to me. A bit stalkerish no?
  19. There you go redman here's a single to shag, you wont even miss the gf.
  20. How crass.

I love it.