Unemployable MPs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by TattooDog, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting study reported in the Mail about how difficult it is for MPs to find work once they have been kicked out of their jobs. Not so much finding work, but finding a job that pays the same amount (£60k plus perks).

LINK HERE

According to the article:

Some former MPs were disenchanted after leaving the Commons, the university study found.
    One called working outside politics "demeaning".
    Another said: "It's a hard, cold, unforgiving world outside Westminster."
    And one commented: "No expenses for motor driving, no secretary, no parking space."

Welcome to Reality FM! :sad2:

One former MP "was ordered to report for a suitability-to-work interview by the benefits office she had opened only the year before." :laughing9:

Now, everytime MPs vote themselves a pay rise, they appear to justify it by telling us how skilled and valued they are, and to compensate them for the kind of wages they'd be able to earn outside politics. Perhaps they need to start reducing their wages?? Yeah, OK, like that will ever happen. :-\\\\

What is frightening though, is how many join QUANGOs or other public bodies when they leave!

2. I think that the Jobs for the boys (& Girls) when they leave is something that could do with further investigation.

3. Our present political system is in dire need of change. Our representatives are no longer representative of the vast majority of people. There have been several newspaper and magazine articles recently, pointing out that there is now a professional political class. These clowns are, in the most part, sadly lacking in experience of industry, business, the military etc. They are in it for themselves. Take a long, hard look at the way this country (and Europe) is run nowadays. It's perfectly bloody obvious - but only if you're looking for it. Ghastly snakes in the grass; almost all of them.
    End of rant, back to the packing.

4. Hands up anyone here who would employ a failed politician......

5. It depends on what I would use them for - hatstand, bike rack, scarecrow, target etc

6. Target would be good, or a scarecrow in that analy retentive clothing they usually wear.

7. Moving target on a rifle range? Splash target coxn? Propellor inspector (at speed)? Seems like they, as a 'profession', would be suited quite well for that sort of employment on the main. Just so long as it would be something not involving encounters with other peoples' money or property?
    Don't know, I'm spectulating here. :blah5: :violent2:

PNG

8. MPs are more representative, socially, of their constituents that they were less than a century ago before universal suffrage was introduced.

David Butler at Nuffield College provides an analysis at the time of each election, which is on a reasonably consistent basis. His data is restricted to the three main parties but nevertheless these should give a reasonable idea of any significant changes among Members as a whole. The following table summarises the proportions in the main groups:

MP’s Occupations 1987 to 2005
    % of all from main parties (Conservative/Labour/Liberal Democrat)

Percentage 1987 1992 1997 2001 2005
    Professions 41.7% 41.1% 43.2% 42.9% 39.3%
    Barrister 9.1% 8.5% 5.7% 5.2% 5.5%
    Solicitor 4.9% 4.8% 4.5% 5.6% 6.2%
    Doctor 0.8% 1.0% 1.4% 1.3% 1.0%
    Civil service/local govt 3.5% 4.1% 5.9% 5.6% 4.6%
    Teachers:
    University/college 5.7% 7.2% 9.7% 8.4% 7.2%
    School 7.6% 9.1% 10.3% 10.2% 7.6%
    Business 25.6% 24.2% 18.0% 17.0% 19.2%
    Miscellaneous 21.1% 24.6% 29.9% 31.7% 35.3%
    White Collar 4.3% 7.3% 11.4% 12.1% 12.7%
    Politician/Pol organiser 5.4% 7.3% 9.5% 10.5% 14.1%
    Publisher/Journalist 6.7% 7.0% 7.5% 7.9% 7.0%
    Manual workers 11.6% 10.0% 8.9% 8.4% 6.2%
    Miner 2.7% 2.1% 2.1% 1.9% 1.8%

Occupation of MP's elected at the 2005 General Election

Percentage Lab Con Lib Dem
    Professions 40% 38% 40%
    Barrister 3% 11% 3%
    Solicitor 5% 9% 3%
    Doctor 0% 2% 3%
    Civil service/local govt
    6% 2% 5%
    Teachers: University/college
    12% 0% 5%
    Teacher: school 9% 3% 15%
    Business 7% 38% 29%
    Miscellaneous 43% 23% 29%
    White Collar 20% 2% 6%
    Politician/Pol organiser
    17% 10% 11%
    Publisher/Journalist 7% 7% 8%
    Manual workers 10% 1% 2%
    Miner 3% 1% 0%

See also:
    Standard note available: Social background of Members of Parliament (November 2005)

Report produced by the Sutton Trust

What these data do show is an increase in middle class (white collar) MPs at the expense of working class (blue collar) MPs since the 1987 General Election.

You have also suggested that current MPs have little military experience. The numbers with military experience in all parties are as follows:-

Regulars:

Army (including UDR) = 20
    RAF = 7
    RN = 2

Reserves, etc:

TA = 12
    RAFVR, University Air Squadron = 3
    RNR = 2

Foreign Military service = 1

As of 11 Sept 07, 42 MPs from all parties are currently participating in the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme which provides MPs with opportunities to experience service life at first hand.

In total then Party service experience breaks down as follows (current data held):

Conservatives = 30
    Labour = 10
    Democratic Unionist Party = 1
    Independent = 1

9. Whilst I'm prepare to acknowledge that it's more socially representative than before universal suffrage, those categories can include a multitude of sins.

Considering that the classic professions of doctor, lawyer and teacher are listed individually, what's washed up into that category.

Similarly what do they mean by white collar, is that administration and management or something else?

Similarly, business, does working a think tank fit in there? Where do SPADs fit in? Does working as a researcher for a politician fit under political organiser?

It would also be meaningful to see what sectors people come from, and who their clients were prior to their election to the house.

10. Now you know why they slavishly follow the party line instead of listening to their constituents.. they dont want to get deselected and then lose all those perks...

11. Plenty of jobs for the b****s in Brussels, on even better money ! look at the Kinnocks - both of them !

12. I need a Cleaner.... for my house, not my bank account! o_O

Could I afford paying the annual £22,110 (max) housing allowance (for non-London based MPs), the basic pay of £60,675, an annual London Supplement of £2,812?

Perhaps I'll carry on doing it myself, after all. :(

13. Phew!

Thingy, I'm impressed by the statistics you have gathered to support your local MP and his oppos.

But... why then do they make such a hash of it?

14. They do appear to have similarities with the proverbial used care salesman.

15. I run a business and would not employ any MP. Their attitude alone would make them unemployable.

Not one of them can be honest until it is the "vote for me" time and I would have to question their accountability and value for money as they would be an expense I and no doubt other companies could ill afford.

16. Steve

Another question. Do these figures apply to the time before a politician was first elected, or at the current election? From the figures it would appear to be the former, otherwise the politician category would probably be larger.

In that case people like Prescott would still be listed as Blue Collar, or similar, yet he's been in the house for years.

17. Thingy: Mark Twain had a point when he observed that there are 3 types of lie: Lies, damn lies & statistics.

I've had time to digest your reply and notwithstanding your blizzard of numbers, where do you refute the argument that politicians (both local and national) are no longer representative of the majority?

It would take too long to list all the grievances that people have against the executive but just consider Europe, hunting, smoking, speed cameras, refuse collection, health & education targets, uncontrolled immigration, HSE nonsense; it just goes on and on.

If you look into these irritants you always uncover the fact that all of their initiatives involve increasing their client base, and thus votes. It's designed to keep them in power because soon there will be a critical mass in their favour, which will prevent their removal.

We are truly sleep-walking into a one-party state. (Churchill: democracy is the worst system of all - apart from all the rest!) See how Brown is wooing senior politicians from other parties into his 'big tent'. A sly way to fragment traditional votes.

Oh dear, I'm ranting and raving and my cider is getting warm. So sorry guys.

18. With her brown eyes and dark hair The Minister of State for Employment and Welfare Reform can come and shag me for a couple of days while she's signing on :thumright:
    Caroline Flint and Caroline Flint MP

19. Hey! I forgot to mention the biggest wheeze of all: Tax Credits.

Why has Brown spent ten years creating the most fiendishly complicated tax system on planet Earth, over-taxing the majority (the poorest always dip out) and then giving some of it back in the form of tax credits?

Absolutely insane until you consider the legion of civvy scribblers required to administer it. All Labour voters.

Thank you very much and goodnight nurse.

20. Thank God someone has lightened it up! I'd shag her too - if I could get past her armour-plated red knickers... That would make me vote Labour!