Under 18 signing contracts

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jess33, Jul 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What age do ratings have to be to sign up for the years that they will be in for and what are the lengths of service they can choose from?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Anyone under 18 must first have parent/guardian consent.

Those who successfully pass selection and 'sign-on' will sign a contract which can last up to 12 years initially, if they wish.

All joiners can leave at any point between weeks 4 to 26, after which they must complete training plus a 30 month Return of Service (RoS), before they can submit 12 months notice to quit.

Those under 18 can exceptionally be discharged up until age 18 if temperamentally unsuited.

3. Thanks ninja- my son started last August and completes phase 2 in September he then going to to do 10 weeks sub training. He was not sure when he signs anything. He 18 in January which times well with him finishing his smq. Do you think it will be left to then or beforehand. I cannot believe how well it has all went for my lad he joined a little 16.5 year old who has grown up so much in the year he been away. The Navy have been brilliant in their contact with myself.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

He will have signed his contract on the Monday, the day after he joined HMS Raleigh, regardless of age.

5. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

So pleased he's doing well. Mine starts Raleigh in Sept

6. Zeb - it's brilliant I was upset when he left for HMS Raleigh / 10 weeks I think it is harder than anyone will ever know but nearly a year down the line my son talks about it and clearly loved it. The passing out parade is just amazing. I honestly think I have worried more about phase 2! He changed branches into submariner training and failed an exam and due to his age we had to speak to his divisional officer but it has all came right and he due for completion in September. The friends he has made are lovely and it is great when he gets home you will have a ball good luck

7. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Thanks for your reply it sounds like he's loving it then. My son wanted to look round the submarine at Faslane the other week but they looked round a minesweeper instead. Do u mind me private messaging you sometime in the future with any questions I might have about kit etc?

8. Zeb - any time no problem. He is the worry for me in phase 2 heightened but he has huge support from his class. My car on the other sides mileage going threw the roof x2 trips to Plymouth and x3 trips this year to Portsmouth ! It's great to see then snd meet who they work with / that's my excuse! At least when he moves to faslane he will only be 2 hours away as opposed to 9! I would love to visit faslane do they allow u to see round? Xx

9. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Where did you stop for the passing out parade hoping we get far! We've got 7 hours that's bad enough. Can't imagine we could look round Faslane, this was done as he had PRNC up in Caledonia. It's all very exciting for them.

10. We stayed in the China fleet resort. Once your son is in they send you a welcome pack and details of his passing out parade and discounted places. A year on though there is short term families accommodation in all the areas which you can book 4 weeks in advance. I have stayed in the Portsmouth ones twice this year. It's quarters I got a 3 bedroomed house for two nights and a two bedroomed flat last week for a holiday they are great. £35 for house and £28 for flat well worth it I have phone numbers for them as well .

11. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Wow that sounds good then. I've read a few people have stayed in premier inns too