Uncles WW2 decoration

Discussion in 'History' started by Bigtone, Jun 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I hope someone will be able to help me, My uncle was a Royal Marine in WW2 he received a wounded in action decoration in July 1943,all I can find out about it is the initials,They are :-E.M.M.W the W could either be an A or even an H,writing is hard to make out.He was killed in Italy in the last few months of the war and my surviving Uncles are trying to find out after all this time any info on this decoration.
    Thankyou All
    Bigtone:naka:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. Bigtone

I wondered if might ask how you know about the letters EMMW please, as you say that you haven't seen the decoration.

I'm a bit worried that someone might have somehow got muddled up. I had a quick look yesterday at all the decorations which could be awarded during the Second World War and I couldn't see anything which matched.

3. Soleil
    Hi yep i looked at google to see if I could find out anything but nowt,I've tried all the combinations of the letters but still nothing,I'm waiting for a reply from my uncle but he is not on line so its snail mail.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You mentioned in another thread your uncle took part in the St Nazaire raid. Much respect, men like him carved a reputation the rest of us tried to up hold.

5. Yep we owe them alot not to mention todays forces they uphold honour as well as I tried in my time in,Thankyou for the comment.
    Tony

6. Bigtone

I was thinking to myself this morning that, if you did obtain your Uncle's Service Record, you might be able to see his decorations listed.

7. Have you searched the Lסndסn Gazette?

8. Bigtone,

I have access to the Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972.
    The database contains lists of more than 1.5 million officers, enlisted personnel and other individuals entitled to medals and awards commemorating their service with the Royal Navy and Royal Marines between 1793 and 1972.

If you would like me to take a look through the database for you, please PM your uncles name (and service number, if known).

SP.

9. Nice one i will try to get hold of his official number it may take a day or two but his name was Alfonso Harvey (not a common name)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spot on my friend that is the right one I have learnt a bit,didn't know he was a colour sergeant.and young,defiantly the right one cos of the parents names
    Thank you
    Tony

11. Hi Bigtone,

I have searched the RN & RM Medal Rolls that are available at this moment in time and sadly your William J A Harvey does not appear in the listings. The Medal Roll database is updated regularly and so I will check again for you in the near future. I did note that the 1939-1945 Campaign Medal Listings are not available for the RN & RM at the moment and only the Long Service Medal and Good Conduct Medal Rolls are online.

To ease your disappointment I do have something for you, click on the links below, each will open up in a new window, once open, right click on the image and save to your own PC.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv179/sweetpeas_photo/Research/WJAHarvey.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv179/sweetpeas_photo/Research/ArgentaGapWarCemetery.jpg

I think the correct way to go about researching William J A Harveys WW2 service is to contact the Veterans Association as they will be able to provide you with a photocopy of Williams service record. I am sure that once you have a copy, you will agree that it was well worth the £30 research and handling charge.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

SP.

12. Update
    I have also just found out that he received a Wounded in Action Certificate in Sept 1942,something else for me to look for.

13. More updates
    Talking to my Uncles it seems not only was He on the St Nazaire raid but he did a lot of raiding in Northern Europe,(if I ever new him I would call him a Pirate,Spose thats why I joined the R.N) lol