Un - believable

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SONAR-BENDER, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, according to the BBC News tonight, it will cause huge controversy. Full announcement to be made tomorrow.

The huge payouts to people from other races/religions but resided in the UK, either as naturalised or as asylum seeker, (see how I phrased that so as not to upset anybody?) who were subsequently captured in Afghanistan, but when questioned denied being terrorists. Like they would have put their hands up.

It seems that they may have been captured in the field, then the CIA may have transported them to Cuba for a break, with specific questions being asked by our security people.

If it saved one of our folks life, then it was`worth it, but to then pay out to what are effectively enemy POWs defies belief.

Sorry to all the left wing trendy tree huggers and save the whalers that I have just upset. Contact Liberty or Amnesty.
  2. this makes whats left of my pride cry.....:(
  3. Sorry S-B but regardless of hugging trees or saving whales that has made my eyes bleed.

Is it a question? Is it a statment? If so what exactly is that question or statement?

I'm not arguing - it is quite possible that I agree with you, but I just don't know what you are getting at. Is there a link I missed?
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I'm guessing that Government to compensate ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees is a link to the story that caused S_B to go active.
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From FW's link

Sonar Bender wrote

Prisoners of War usually receive better treatment than Gitmo detainees. No-one was waterboarding captured German airmen in order to find out the location of the next raid or their airfield. As for lives saved, in the case of detainees with a UK connection, the number may be as low as zero. In which case by your own criterion, it wasn't worth it.

It is unlikely that any of the former detainees deserve a handout but it may be the lesser of two evils.
  6. Surely if any of those caught in Afghanistan was in the UK claiming assylum they should have had their assylum application rejected.
    In which case they should be removed from the UK pronto, with nil compensation.
  7. How bloody annoying is that and I quote: "to get millions in compensation from the UK government", the UK government does not have any money, it's our fekin money. :twisted:

That of course is if it comes to pass.
  8. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Those with anti western attitudes and who have very likely carried out anti western terror type activities are always very quick to jump on our protection of freedoms and human rights when it suits them. Our top soldier says that Al Qaeda cannot be beaten, they will eventually beat them selves to death as they don't stand for anything other than oppertunistic hatred.

On the other hand a few million for a few years in sunny cuba seems like a good return, perhaps this terrorism is a good way to beat the credit crunch, where does one sign up for this lark and what trainers do you need to take with you?
  9. Am I correct in saying you go blind first?
  10. No.. Thats from taking up the other "hobby" first...