UKNDA

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by type42stoker, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably not a lot.
    About time the goverment started investing in our armed services instead of treating them as second class citizens.

2. If Gordon can be made to believe thaty spending more on defence buys votes then he will spend, what ever his convictions he is in No 10 and sure as h*ll wants to stay there.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The hypocrisy of GB's articles in the Telegraph compared to his treatment of the Services, and specifically NuLabour's treatment of casualties and the bereaved, both as Chancellor and as PM is STAGGERING.

4. Well I for one will only vote for a political party that states it will raise % amount of GDP spent on defence in future.
    Looks like I'm not going to be voting in any General Elections for a while then.....

5. I think its good that someone is speaking up- I jut doubt they will be listened to.

6. Why don't these people speak up when they are in charge? Instead of waiting until their peerage and pensions are safe.

7. Seaweed

Because they can't. Anyone complaining publicly about their employer can pretty well be sacked out of hand. And as mentioned before, resignation has no effect whatsoever. All serving senior officers can do is covertly feed suitable retired officers with information to make a case. Once upon a time there used to be a cabal of Admirals of the Fleet which had a certain amount of influence through the House of Lords where the AoFs who were there were not subject to any Party Whip & could put down embarrassing questions.

8. Just like you and me there are limitations on what can be said whlst in the service. Of course what they tell the polititions in private no one knows.

The present senior officers do seem to be pushing the limits which makes one think there has been a lot said in private with little effect. The real problem though is that all who are still serving cannot indulge in what can be considered to be political campaigns, and if trying to change the path of the incumbent government is not a politicqal campaign then what is.

This is precisely why there is a need for something like the NDA where those with close links to the services but not in the services can get out on their soap boxes and try to change minds. At the end of the day it is all down to whether party A or Party B will gain or lose votes by following certain polocies. One of the purposes of the NDA is to try to create a public will for better resourcing of the forces that in turn will make it a votes issue and then the parties will take notice

9. Seaweed

A hundred years ago the public took up the cry 'We want eight (new battleships) and we won't wait!' and that's about the last time the public showed some understanding that we need a Navy. All they want now is bread and circuses so that's what the politicians give them.

10. Seaweed

Since the early posts on this I have received an email giving the following names associated with UKNDA - makes it look a lort more credible to my mind:

PRESIDENT: Mr Winston Spencer CHURCHILL

PATRONS:
    Admiral The Lord BOYCE GCB OBE DL
    Marshal of the Royal Air Force The Lord CRAIG GCB
    General The Lord GUTHRIE KCMG
    The Rt. Hon Lord OWEN

VICE PRESIDENTS Military & Civilian (in alphabetical
    order)

Area of Interest:
    MILITARY:

Lt-General Sir Henry Beverley KCB OBE: Royal
    Marine matters
    Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackham KCB: Royal Navy
    matters
    Field Marshal The Lord Bramall KG GCB OBE MC:
    Tri-Service interests
    Col. Tim Collins OBE: Army matters
    Lt-Gen Sir Michael Gray KCB OBE: Airborne Forces &
    Normandy Vets
    Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Graydon GCB CBE ADC,
    FRAeS: RAF matters
    Marshal of the RAF Sir Peter Harding GCB, DSO,
    FRAeS: RAF matters.
    Brigadier (Professor) Richard Holmes CBE TD JP:
    Army matters
    Viscount Slim OBE DL FRGS: Special Forces
    Col. Bob Stewart DSO: Army matters
    Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Squire GCB DFC AFC:
    RAF matters
    Lt Gen Sir Richard Vickers KCB LVO OBE: UKNDA
    Dorset rep.

CIVILIAN:

Rt. Hon. Michael Ancram, QC MP: Tri-Service
    interests
    Sir Nicholas Bonsor Bt: Tri-Service interests
    Rt Hon Baroness Dean of Thornton-la-Flyde: Chm HoL
    Def Study Gp
    Sir Richard Dearlove KCMG OBE: Intelligence.&
    Security
    Rt Hon Bruce George MP: Tri-Service interests
    Hon. Bernard Jerkin MP: Tri-Service interests
    Paul Keetch MP: Tri-Service interests
    Edward Leigh MP: Chm Pub. Accs. Cttee
    Rt. Hon. Michael Mates MP: Tri-Service &
    Intelligence
    Patrick Mercer OBE, MP: Army matters
    Hon. Nicholas Soames, MP: Tri-Service interests
    Sir Keith Speed RD DL: Royal Navy matters
    Glenmore S.Trenear-Harvey: Intelligence Analyst

11. And that campaign was orchestrated by an organisation similar in concept to the NDA although only aimed at navla matters. The public in any country need motivated to get off their backsides, that needs a pressure group to feed the press with ideas and arguments. In this case that could be the NDA, or is there some one else better out there.