UK Pub chain - two drinks policy for parents

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brazenhussy, Jan 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Possibly slightly OT, but it's good to see a UK pub chain (Wetherspoons) taking a sensible approach to responsible parenting, and restricting parents to only two alcoholic drinks when supervising children:

So not everyone in Britain believes as Clarence does that it is part of the UK culture to abandon children and drink irresponsibly.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Most pubs (freehouse or chain) have a customer policy in relation to serving alcoholic drinks, regardless of whether they are parents or otherwise. Under licencing laws they have a choice in who they serve, and have a social obligation not serve customers who are intoxicated. The fact that most fun pubs (such as 'Flares', 'Bar Me', etc.) do not adhere to this obligation is another matter... 8O

However if Wetherspoon's wants to endorse this new policy then fair play to them. However when parents choose to frequent other pubs that do not enforce this regime, then I can see them changing the routine as they start losing revenue.
  3. Thats all right as irresponsible parents can still pish off to the Algarve to get on the pish!
  4. What gets me pissed off is when you see kids going straight into a Pub with there parents straight from school !!

How can these people pretend to be parents if they are on the piss at 3.00pm on a weekday ?? Also a great example to set for the future generation.
  5. Yeah, they'll probably end up becoming matelots.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, yeah. The pubs are toppers with kids these days, aren't they... NOT! :roll:

Mind you, it depends where you live... :twisted:

7. More like submariners !
  8. I can't see my two local Weatherspoons losing too much, one is next to a Post Sorting Office, and so is packed at 11 everyday with posties going for lunch and a pint as well as being next to County Hall so Civil Servants drinking after work, whilst the other never had any kids in it either, known for a good drink either at the end of the day, or drinks before heading onto Nightclubs.

I think it is a good idea, responsible on the part of Weatherspoons, I really cannot stand kids running round pubs etc. whilst their parents sit and drink.
  9. Used to drink in a Witherspoons when I worked at the MoD 89-03 (The Moon on the Mall): they would NOT admit kids between 1100-1400, as it was usually full of civil servants and builders on the sherbert, and understandably so - imagine subjecting your kids to a mass of braying donkeys boasting about their latest triumph over their bosses, and listening to a bunch of foul mouthed "Saff Londoners", where two words out of three are "Fecking" and "Cant".
    My local in Guzz allows people under 18 to stay in the bar until 1900 - which gives you more than enough time to finish work, have a pint and take the kids for a coke/packet of crisps/game of pool without upsetting the serious drinkers. Place is packed on a Sunday afternoon when there's football on SKY.
  10. We eat at our local 'Spoons quite often. Its a much better way of taking the kids out to eat than a McDs. Theres a notice board in the dining area spellng out the 2 drink rule, and its certainly been there a long as we've been using the place(3 years), so perhaps this news item is a clever attempt to gain some PR by the chap with the dodgy haircut who owns the company. Personally, this rule makes absolute sense, and it certainly has no effect on business at the Brittania. Dont' forget, the Pub makes more money from the families that eats and has a couple of drinks before moving on than it does from a family that eats and then takes up a table all afternoon purchasing cut price lager and soft drinks. It certainly makes for a more "family friendly" atmosphere, and I for one will continue to use them.
  11. :toilet: the pub in question is very right to have done this the parents are a disgrace after school from 3.30 pm onwards this pub is like a creche this is not about decent parents this is about irresponsible ones who can not see that a pub is no place for children
  12. Frankly I think it's taking the p!ss in a big way. Notwithstanding their general right to refuse to serve whoever they wish to I don't believe that this justification is reasonable.

If they were to be honest about it and say that children aren't welcome in the premises then I'd perhaps have more time for it, that's a business decision. Setting themselves up as the conscience of the nanny state is flaming ridiculous.

So presumably parents should limit themselves to no more than two drinks at home when there are children under their care?
  13. Why should it be? I appreciate that there are moronic parents who will get trashed when looking after kids, but why should pubs be no places for children? Yes there can be colourful language, but speaking as one of the last of the breed that believes in chivalry, why shouldn't language be moderated. Yes there is drinking going on, but if we were sane about it (rather than the down 12 pints before scran mentality), responsible drinking is nothing to be ashamed of. I can see too that some pubs would want to retain the working men's club approach, but some adults wouldn't want to go to those either. If I want to take my sprog to a pub for some scran why should I be restricted, given that so many pubs are now themed restaurants in effect?
  14. In what way have they declared themselves the conscience of the nanny state? This is merely a example of a retailer setting conditions of sale in accordance with the wishes of its customer base. The large number of families who use the 'Spoons as a family restaurant have obviously voted with their wallets and decided to remain as customers. I imagine the minority who want to PU with their kids all day will go and find one of the many establshments who are prepared to let them do it. Everybodys happy. I believe its whats known as market forces in action. I suspect that this rule only has a noticeable effect on the suburban/semi rural pubs anyway, as the ones in town centres end to be more of an alers pub.
  15. So >2 drinks is p!ssing up?

If they could have been honest with their responses then I'd be more happy; we want to increase revenue per seat and to do that we need to sell food as well as drinks... That's fair enough, but suggesting that it's a think of the children reason is bull.

You may not have noticed the caveat that the two drink limit could include soft drinks at the discretion of the manager. That's about seat occupancy, not welfare.

If they'd justified it in business terms then that would be acceptable to me, but trying to justify the decisions by dressing them up in nanny state fashion is pretty low.
  16. So the deal is don't get tanked up when looking after kids, and it's alright if you want to hang around here and drink coke. What's the problem - everyone wins, right?
  17. No, the deal appears to be don't buy more than two drinks of any kind without also ordering food

Wonder if two bottles of wine each is still acceptable ;)
  18. It seems to me that they are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Quoted from the link above
    They read: "Adults accompanied with children wishing to purchase an alcoholic drink should purchase a meal."

"Once the meal has been finished and tables cleared, it is our recommendation that only one more alcoholic drink should be purchased for each adult."

"If parents and their children are visiting our pubs and purchasing non-alcoholic drinks, then there is no limit to the number of drinks that can be purchased or the length of stay."

Hardly draconian.
    It would be great if others in the licenced trade could be as responsible about the the conditions under which they ply their trade.

BTW, if I'm coming across like a cross between a methodist minister and the temperance league, I can assure you than in reality I'm as big a glophead as the next man.

I'm now leaving this debate before I have to send Mr Spoons an invoice for all the PR work. :pukel:
  19. I'm sure it was last week when this was aired on the Today Programme. The bloke who had raised the point was miffed at the policy. After the Wetherspoon's spokesman had explained the policy and the thinking behind it, the complainant seemed satisfied and his only remaining drip was that it hadn't been well publicised. The Wetherspoon wallah accepted that as a fair point and agreed to pursue it.

Wetherspoon's admitted that there was a trade consideration in that kids get bored after they've eaten and become difficult for parents to monitor/control. The 2 drinks principle deterred parents digging in for a session while their bored offspring annoyed the other customers. In my not so limited experience of these establishments, it seems to work quite well at 0852 (hurry, it get's chopped at Midnight).
  20. Not out of the question. It was reported in a couple of different papers at the weekend so I'm drawing from them as well.

I mainly have a fundamental objection to officialdom, real or self appointed, interfering in other peoples lives.