Uk Police do themselves No Favours.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jun 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Full story - or - I'm not fik cus i kin lift fings.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Aah, the Daily Wail... 'nuff said! :roll:

3. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

I also wonder if the rooftop sightseers were of the itinerant persuasion. The scuffs never seem too keen on getting involved with suspects of no fixed abode.

I wonder what the result would have been if they'd been caught on the roof of a Mosque? A summary lynching would no doubt align with our multicultural Britain.

4. sgtpepperband

"What if, what if, what if..." the armchair politicians are up early on a Saturday! 8O

5. sgtpepperband

NMC: Unsurprisingly I will always defend the Police, as I see what goes on behind closed doors, and have worked with them, and currently work as one. Everyone has 20/20 vision with hindsight, but if the officers concerned have made an error, then their own superiors will reprimand them accordingly - it is not the job of the 'meedja' to ridicule the public services, when they have very little appreciation of what their job entails.

The Daily Wail of all papers should be defending and supporting the Police, but because that paper is still living in the 1950s when Britain was quaint and perfect, and Bobbies patrolled Dock Green and gave cheeky scamps a clip round the ear, it refuses to acknowledge that the rest of the nation has changed, and is no longer the place it once was.

I'm not saying the Police are perfect; like any job there are some who are idiots. But the vast majority are good, honest and decent officers, constrained by pointless Home Office directives which they have little control over. They want to make a difference but are prevented from doing so, through fear of losing their job. But they keep at it regardless, because they want to at least try to make a difference. Much like the rest of us in the Forces today...

And I'm sure if the Daily Wail et al started ripping the Armed Forces and all its "heroes" apart, you would be amongst the first to protest? Wouldn't you? 8O :?

6. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Sgt P. To be honest with you, I use the word 'Police' in name only and I know that the majority of faults are the system and especially ****** Brown and his band of imbeciles and not usually the man in the serge.

My postings are not really personal, but they are the ones seen and so they always get the blame, and using that word always seems to get a better reaction. I would not hesitate to call or offer assistance to the police if I saw any problems.

So I make my apologies now, but will still use the same context in the future.

7. sgtpepperband

NMC: Oh I understand where you're coming from and I am just as frustrated. But the average member of the public has to remember that it is not necessarily the individual officer who choses to act in this way, but the system in which he is working.

But it is often the case that the public will blame the individual officers without appreciation of what he is up against... :oops:

8. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

We need to build many more prisons so that when the police catch villains they know that they WILL get a custodial sentence.
    these prisons should be spartan affairs, no mod cons and hard labour. no work, no eat.
    Just watch the detection rate rise when the police constable knows that doing his job WILL bring results.

9. sgtpepperband

Slim: A good point; Police Officers are frustrated at being let down by the Courts. If they knew they had the full support of the judicial system then I am sure performance would improve... :oops:

10. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

And I expect that the courts are just as frustrated at not being able to award an appropriate punishment.

Seem the only ones not frustrated are the government who are probably wringing their hands in glee at having save another pot of cash every time someone is given a warning or community service.

11. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

As ex-plod, may I first say I am not a fan of modern policing as I have stated many times on RR. It was the generation that are now whinging the most. i.e. mine us old pharts that told the bill and courts by way of jury decisons since the late 60's that they did not want their Police Officers going around verballing or fitting up suspects how ever certain they were that they were guilty.

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW

It is not the fault of New Labour or todays generation it is YOUR FAULT.

No evidence, which there is not only supposistion then you have to give them the benifit of the doubt or soon Old Bill will only hyave to say "He was speeding, I saw it with my own eyes Me'Lud and down you go.

GET REAL

Nutty

12. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Come on nutty, we all know what you are saying, but I can assure you I was not one of those who demanded what you are saying in the 60s, (i'll admit to the old fart bit though).

I seems that probably because of finances (governments fault) that there was no real attempt to link them to the theft. There may be difficulties in taking prints from lead, but there would certainly have been lead on their gloves and clothes.

13. sgtpepperband

Nutty, I appreciate things were different in those days, but there is a massive difference between 'Judges Rules' and today's PACE regulations, which were designed to prevent miscarriages of justice. As much as the PACE rules make life difficult for some Police Officers, I would rather have them to conduct interviews than use some of the practices demonstrated by certain members of West Midlands Constabulary in the mid-'70s... :oops:

14. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

SPB

I did not avocate a return to the days of Judges Rules I also think PACE has gone to far to the detrement of both Prosecution and Defence. But that is not what we are talking about. If you catch three lads on the roof and you have no evidence, then you either make up the evidence or you let them go. The old and young pharts who are now complaining are the same self people who clearly told the Police, Courts and Goverment we no longer want Plod to sort out our problems we want the CPS, Legal Aid and Courts to do that.

I repeat. You reap what you sow.

Nutty

15. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

'tis said "a people get the police they deserve", don't say much for modern society does it??

Now had all the even older farts at the end of WWII of which we all pontificate endlessly - now that the participants are too old to do much. As I was saying if at the time they had turned round and said "as of now to get the vote first you must earn it, with say three years in the service of your country" then things may have been different -but of course at the time everybody (save a few) had of course earned that right AND IT WAS DIFFERENT! Oh well better luck at the end of the next war.................dream on

16. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Every dog has its day..... by that I mean that our outlook on life is conditioned by life's experiences. If you had a sh1tty life then your view will probably be like that but most of us who have survived into old age probably had a good run and therefore "it was better in our day" outpourings. It's rather like asking me as an OAP to have Politically correct views about practically every aspect of life from Wogs to whipping kids for being bad .....when I think WTF should I, it wasn't around in my day so you can Foxtrot Oscar. the young turks may disagree with me, that is their right but having seen it, been it, done it, been over it, under it and through it and caught the diseases, I'ts my right to ignore them.

I feel better now.... back to the Merlot

17. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Oh sorry... back on thread, I have no idea about the level of 'thickness' of the UK Police forces [it is a stupid thread subject title anyway] but I do think that they are one of the least corrupt

18. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Correct me where I am wrong, current serving filth/ex-plod, but I was given to understand "Theft" is intent to permanently deprive the owner. Im surprised the cops even had enough grounds for reasonable suspicion (prima facie; being on the Church roof does not mean I was nicking it, rozzer) to allow them to search the youths, if they were Juvies and not screaming for their mum, refusing to ID themselves.
    Having no evidence of them "going equipped to steal" (is that even an offence anymore?), standing next to a bloody great pile of lead, unless someone actually saw them put it there then it would be easy for their brief to say, "some big lads done it, little Alf here was just looking on the scaffolding for a laugh"....

19. Re: Uk Police are the thickest in the whole world

Have to agree ------what the person who called the police should have done in this case is to have waited preferably with a friend and watched what the ''youths'' were doing while they were on the roof .
    Getting the police too early is doing the supposed 'lead stealers/vandals
    a favour . Suppose they could 've charged them with being on a roof with out the owners permission and possibly breaking into a dangerous area -the roof access should have been secured to prevent unauthorised access.
    If they had fallen off the roof --then its big bucks compensation.

:nemo: :nemo: