Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

UK getting it's own version of NASA

StixJimboRM said:
Merlin28 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11409730

How cool is that :D

Not very!

3 satellites doesn't exactly make a NASA, thats a bit like saying the my local sailing club are forming a navy.

Now THAT is a very good idea and could help us out of any problems over the SDSR ... if EVERY sailing club started its own Navy!!!

On a related topic to the thread, however, [/quote]The satellites, to be orbited in 2013, will be able to see details down to one metre at their best resolution
- The article doesn't say how far away from the camera they will have to be for this level of detail - 2 metres?

StixJimboRM said:
Merlin28 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11409730

How cool is that :D

Not very!

3 satellites doesn't exactly make a NASA, thats a bit like saying the my local sailing club are forming a navy.

I expect your local sailing club has more vessels than our Navy

Sounds like a similar set up to one at Bangor University, that my cousin was involved with in the 60s. good luck to them, hope they make a profit.

Just what the Earth needs: More satellites.

At the danger of sounding like an eco-warrior, I wonder if anyone gives any thought to retrieving dis-used satellites? Things like the International Space Station, for example; does anyone use it? Campaigning in the eighties has brought awareness to the ecological damage caused by polluting the seas and rivers, and has also prompted international action to at least try to tackle the problem of Global Warming and the hole in the O-Zone layer. But why are we now doing our utmost to put more rubbish in the upper atmosphere?

The concern I've got is, what is the danger of the satellites being knocked out of orbit? So much junk up there could turn the upper atmosphere into an enormous obstacle course - or a minefield.

Maybe there's a market for an orbital ragbone man to bring home the various bits safely. With the World's mineral resources being systematically acquired by China, it might be our only means of access.

Could he afford all the goldfish and donkeystones for the owners, though.

The UK space industry is growing at great speed - despite the fact that almost all industries are affected by a pandemic the UK government spends resources to let the space industry move forward and be on the market among the other aerospace companies.

The UK space industry is growing at great speed - despite the fact that almost all industries are affected by a pandemic the UK government spends resources to let the space industry move forward and be on the market among the other aerospace companies.
Serious question. Are you the second coming?

You're very good at resurrecting not just old but VERY old posts!!!

If you are the Messiah I really do do apologise for swearing and all other things too!!!

Not sure about him/her being Norman but he/she likes "space" things. 5 posts made and all on Space topics!

Maybe we have a bona fida Space Cadet on site :oops:

Latest Threads