Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK getting it's own version of NASA

broadside

War Hero
StixJimboRM said:
Merlin28 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11409730

How cool is that :D

Not very!

3 satellites doesn't exactly make a NASA, thats a bit like saying the my local sailing club are forming a navy.

Now THAT is a very good idea and could help us out of any problems over the SDSR ... if EVERY sailing club started its own Navy!!!

On a related topic to the thread, however, [/quote]The satellites, to be orbited in 2013, will be able to see details down to one metre at their best resolution
- The article doesn't say how far away from the camera they will have to be for this level of detail - 2 metres?

dixie_gooner

Lantern Swinger
StixJimboRM said:
Merlin28 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11409730

How cool is that :D

Not very!

3 satellites doesn't exactly make a NASA, thats a bit like saying the my local sailing club are forming a navy.

I expect your local sailing club has more vessels than our Navy

Topstop

War Hero
Sounds like a similar set up to one at Bangor University, that my cousin was involved with in the 60s. good luck to them, hope they make a profit.

TaylorMono

Badgeman
Just what the Earth needs: More satellites.

At the danger of sounding like an eco-warrior, I wonder if anyone gives any thought to retrieving dis-used satellites? Things like the International Space Station, for example; does anyone use it? Campaigning in the eighties has brought awareness to the ecological damage caused by polluting the seas and rivers, and has also prompted international action to at least try to tackle the problem of Global Warming and the hole in the O-Zone layer. But why are we now doing our utmost to put more rubbish in the upper atmosphere?

The concern I've got is, what is the danger of the satellites being knocked out of orbit? So much junk up there could turn the upper atmosphere into an enormous obstacle course - or a minefield.

Maybe there's a market for an orbital ragbone man to bring home the various bits safely. With the World's mineral resources being systematically acquired by China, it might be our only means of access.

Could he afford all the goldfish and donkeystones for the owners, though.

The UK space industry is growing at great speed - despite the fact that almost all industries are affected by a pandemic the UK government spends resources to let the space industry move forward and be on the market among the other aerospace companies.

Waspie

War Hero
The UK space industry is growing at great speed - despite the fact that almost all industries are affected by a pandemic the UK government spends resources to let the space industry move forward and be on the market among the other aerospace companies.
Serious question. Are you the second coming?

You're very good at resurrecting not just old but VERY old posts!!!

If you are the Messiah I really do do apologise for swearing and all other things too!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not sure about him/her being Norman but he/she likes "space" things. 5 posts made and all on Space topics!

Maybe we have a bona fida Space Cadet on site :oops:

Waspie

War Hero
Not sure about him/her being Norman but he/she likes "space" things. 5 posts made and all on Space topics!

Maybe we have a bona fida Space Cadet on site :oops:
Oooo goodie, utterly long meaningless conversations about the space time continuum and quantum bollocks. Not forgetting Ion drives and Scotty!!!!

May the force be with us - live long and prosper!!

OK, I'm done, that's my space repertoire finished. Back to the book!!!

Edited bit.
Just what iteration of 'Norman' are we up to now? I lose count.

Dusty70

War Hero
It must be at least 6 since I became a Mod, this one might just be Ukrainian though ;)
Russian space spy then - his handler probably said 'lurk on RR, they're spaced out and totally out of here, must be code foe something they are hiding'..............................................so ssssssshhhhhh don't mention flying fids or getting a rocket up the rear !!!

Attachments

• 1603806707921.png
    1603806707921.png
    68 bytes · Views: 5
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Taztiff Crabs getting their feet wet? Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS Game changers - getting our robots to speak with one voice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Beat the rush by getting your MOT done this summer MoD News 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
K Previous broken bones, can they stop me getting in? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Highways England’s pumps £85 million into getting people back on bikes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How our construction sites are getting ready for re-start MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Getting PPE to those who need it MoD News 0
P Getting in after messing up before? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Getting help if your business is in distress MoD News 0
J Getting a job after leaving rn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Bad CO Real Life Getting In the Way Site Issues 82
MoD_RSS Getting Clear on Student Finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: Getting paid first time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Largest upgrade in a generation to workplace rights - getting work right for British workers and businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Uncooperative illegal waste carrier fined after getting his wish for day in court MoD News 0
R Getting an entry date moved? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
klgreload Getting to PRNC Joining the Royal Navy 1
U Difficulty getting into RFA as apprentice chef? RFA 28
J Getting deselected from promotion and loss of earning Health & Fitness 5
MoD_RSS Speech: Encryption and counter-terrorism: getting the balance right MoD News 0
D The RN is getting weaker - Another Discovery5 Naval whine The Gash Barge 55
Lumberjack Being a reg and getting a degree Joining the Royal Navy 7
M Job title when getting insurance quotes? Finance & Pensions 9
John the Baptist Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C Getting FAT again Joining the Royal Navy 2
Onestep Worth getting an MOT? Health & Fitness 0
janner Is Pusser getting one? Submariners 5
A All Arms getting easier???? The Corps 12
EightSixteen Getting Pulled Off Leave RFA 11
mxgan98 getting paid on leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
muskovardo Getting home Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
matt93 Getting your green lid Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Getting a Commission Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
soleil S Wales Evening Post: "Press-Ganged Into Getting Fit With The Royal Naval Reserves" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
D Help with getting fit enough to excell in training!!!?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
D Getting to Collingwood from Pompey Bases / Shore Est 21
C getting ill at CTC The Corps 10
trelawney126 Establishment getting Worried? Diamond Lil's 79
wet_blobby Getting more RR gongs Diamond Lil's 13
ISeeThreeShips Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Getting fit Health & Fitness 44
K Getting pressy to son for xmas without him knowing The Quarterdeck 7
witsend You know you're getting old when.......... Diamond Lil's 197
I Chances of Getting Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
J Getting a mortgage whilst living on base Finance & Pensions 8
digger84 Getting Divorced Nearest & Dearest 5