UK-based Branches

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by scrivomcdivo, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes folks, it's me once again :thumright:

Are there any branches in the RNR that, if called up for a 6-month period, carry out there service in the UK and not abroad? ie. any roles / units that are UK-based predominantly even when called up?

Many thanks

PS: Sorry for all these questions :)

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you're not prepared to be deployed, why bother joining? :?

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its actually a reasonable question - a lot of the branches with HQ roles could concievably call people up to work solely in the UK. I can think of people who have been sent to Northwood for their 6 months, so the answer is that it depends on your choice of branch and their requirements for you.

4. Everyone has a commitment to deploy if required. I'd question why you want to join if you just want to sit in an office in the UK.

Get down to your local unit and as the questions there.

5. Many thanks for the quick replies folks.

I'm actually wanting to get mobilised but one of my fears was indeed getting mobilised to an office in the UK somewhere as opposed to in the thick of it, hence why I asked the question :)

6. I take you aren't the most popular person in your unit with an attitude like that - a perfectly reasonable question and a totally unreasonable response.

7. sgtpepperband

Ooh, temper temper, darling... I am not a Reservist, but my impression was that, as part of the committment made, all Reservists were eligible to be deployed. A reasonable response to an ambiguous question... :?

8. That may be, but we certainly don't need to bite someones head off for asking a question.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way." What a classic line...

9. sgtpepperband

10. BZ

11. Although stop short of an Abu Ghraib, ta.

12. There's deploying and volunteering to deploy.

All the talk these days is about "intelligent mobilisation". I volunteered to be called when required. I have no intention of any additional volunteering.

If they are desperate enough then they'll call.

13. Remember the definition of "Volenteer"
    Man who did not understand the Question.

14. Or the hard of hearing; I thought they asked " Do you want a beer"
    Fcuk it ! :knob:

15. Sanctimonious much?

16. Volunteer;
    "Person who voluntarily offers services or enrols himself for enterprise esp. for services in any armed forces (come forward and enlist or serve as volunteer."

17. and your point is?

18. I think it is a pretty reasonable question.

People join the RN as their main job - and as I have said before if you join the RN you must be prepared to take what that job entails.

People join the RNR for a variety of reasons. If somebody feels that they could not go abroad for an extended period of time but could fullfil a role in the UK for a long period then they should ask if that is possible.

If it is then fair and good - let them join the RNR and contribute to the overall effort to the best of their abilities. If the answer is no then fair and good again - the potental recruit will not join and will never bother the RNR again!

McC

19. Just clarifying your point!