UK and USA charities Join Forces to benefit our wounded servicemen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Jan 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham Charity, in partnership with American charity Fisher House Foundation and UK charity Help for Heroes, has launched a new project to support the UK’s military patients and their families.Fisher House at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham will be a ‘home from home’ where wounded troops can spend time away from the ward with their families, friends and colleagues. The purpose-built two-storey property will be a short walk from the hospital and has been designed by a Birmingham-based firm of architects to complement the surrounding buildings.

Full Story Here:

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As good as H4H is, more money should be donated to the RBL and the various services respective benevolent funds. IIRC, H4H only offers assistance for those who served on Telic/Herrick. The RBL and other benevolent funds have really struggled since H4H, and they help ALL service personnel, regardless of time served and where served.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Good effort Blackrat, i was struggling for words to say this! you have saved me the brainstrain, more education to the masses is required to help them see past H4H very expensive "spin". In saying that they are helping in their way

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackrat

Indeed. i'm not slagging off H4H, some of my oppos have benefited massively from them. However, what of those who served on Ops such as Banner, Corporate and Granby? What of those that joined the colours and didn't go on ops, but are deserving of help? In my opinion, a lack of chest bling means nothing. If you joined up, you expected to go off and take some incoming on the two way range. Just because some didn't, they are no less a service person. Once in, always in. I hate to say this, but we could learn something about care for veterans from the bloody yanks.

5. You can't knock them for their success but the impact on other charities has been huge, IMO H4H are long overdue becoming an umbrella organisation for other forces charities, using their success and household name to refloat the boat. Many people don't even know what H4H do other than "help soldiers", this needs to be addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blackrat

Spot on. As it is, they don't give to individual cases (unlike the RBL and the ABF. I'm sure the other funds do as well) and i believe the majority of what they invest in is property.

7. MLP good point, I think its all in the way the H4H charter is written up, this may cause issues with SAFFA and RBL being twinned with H4H (why has the RBL not employed a top "spin doctor" as such to project it like H4H?) its slowly correcting its self with the like for like share funding, IE a recovery centre for combat stress half funded by each as a hypothetical example would mean H4H funding for post 2001 pax and RBL for pre that pax

Typed using my limited knowledge and one finger

8. Again it kind of has to be Property due to the charter being written in the first place to provide a new pool for headley court

9. Thats good that we are helping each other.

10. Because for too long those at the high end of the RBL were in it fr the wrong reasons and jobs for the boys didn't lend itself to forward thinking. It is only recently stepping out of the dark ages and that is only because it has been left behind.

11. I think you took the Personal grants out of context there are alot of places that have recieved donations for specific things (building projects? IDK)
    Does "personal Grants" mean personal finance for an Individual for prostetics For instance?

This is in no way an attack on H4H but a criticism of an old charter, that i think in their way they are trying to change, before the "H4H is the one and only best thing since sliced bread and anyone who dares question it must be a traitor evil heartless scumsucking wannabe and without a doubt a walt of the highest order" crew get offended by any of my posts.

And to not steal the OP's thunder, given that the USA is ahead of the UK with veteran (US term I know) care they may inject some knowledge as well as cash, this can only be a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. There is no doubt that H4H has taken away funding from other forces charities but they have funded some fantastic projects that have been of great benefit to our wounded service personnel. Does anyone know the thinking behind the decision by H4H not to fund individual cases?

13. Blackrat

Not sure. I can kind of see where they are coming from to be honest but help should mean help, in every sense of the word.

14. I do wonder how many people who have donated realise that they do not fund individual cases, I suspect that the percentage might well be high.

15. Blackrat

Agreed. And as Monty states, the vast majority of people think they just help Soldiers. Last time i checked, there were three arms in our military.

16. Setting up Charities can be a minefield of words etc when you submit "the charities aims/role" then possible problems changing those aims at a later date (I may be wrong about how difficult this is). my general feeling is that When H4H was set up at the outset it was to pay for a new Building/pool at headley for the use of service people injured from operations from the start of Enduring Freedom with the sepos. I think this is the reason they can't make individual Grants as such and have to be clever with how the give grants to other charities that are for all former service personel (no time line).

Lets not overlook the fact that regardless they have pushed the lads/lasses into the awareness of the general public, as it has been said above RBL/SAFFA ETC has had a boost of PR because of H4H, think opportunity knocks appealing to todays generation compared to S******g pop idol or what ever it is

17. I intend to phone H4H's press office tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer as to why they do not fund individual cases.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  18. That takes all the fun out of conjecture!

19. I don't believe RumRationers go in for conjecture, but I could be wrong.