UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@WreckerL is correct.

For AA(SM) the AFCO interview is more in depth, particularly with regard leadership & engineering experience/knowledge as there isn't an interview on PRNC.

Be aware the UGAS scheme is probably going to be replaced by AA(SM) fairly soon so now's the golden opportunity to earn a degree as a full time student in university whilst earning a full time wage.

@Ninja_Stoker

// Thread hihack (but in my defence Nina can't be pm'd!)//

There is a picture on Faceache site ‘Shipmates Reunited’ that may interest you! SSMEMs! Class 185 SSM.

Anyone recognise themselves or others here? SS Stokers class early 1975 - HMS Sultan

//Carry on!//
S-B

@WreckerL is correct.

For AA(SM) the AFCO interview is more in depth, particularly with regard leadership & engineering experience/knowledge as there isn't an interview on PRNC.

Be aware the UGAS scheme is probably going to be replaced by AA(SM) fairly soon so now's the golden opportunity to earn a degree as a full time student in university whilst earning a full time wage.

Hi @Ninja_Stoker could you shed any light on the process for selection on the AA submariner scheme. Not sure my recruiter knows what’s going on . I applied for AA ME and was advised that the chances of getting on the scheme was slim and if I applied as an AA submariner I’d stand a better chance due to the popularity. From this I was told I would wait for a provisional start date and then be subject to a selection board taking place. Is this the case ? If not can you explain the process. I’ve done every other stage including interviews and PJFT.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi @Ninja_Stoker could you shed any light on the process for selection on the AA submariner scheme. Not sure my recruiter knows what’s going on . I applied for AA ME and was advised that the chances of getting on the scheme was slim and if I applied as an AA submariner I’d stand a better chance due to the popularity. From this I was told I would wait for a provisional start date and then be subject to a selection board taking place. Is this the case ? If not can you explain the process. I’ve done every other stage including interviews and PJFT.
To be honest, if you were advised the odds of selection for AA were slim, although there are fewer AA(SM) applicants, to be brutally honest, the odds of selection for AA(SM) are at best, remote. This is because the interview assessment will be pretty much the same and you are relying on a shortfall rather than merit.

The way it works is you'll be informed of a notional entry date and around two months before that, they will simply sift the best 12 or 24 (number not known) and confirm with a written job offer. Those not selected will have the news they are not going to be entering as an AA(SM) and the offer of standard ET(MESM or WESM) entry.

Do not apply for AA(SM) if you do not want to be a Submariner regardless of the final selection decision.

To be honest, if you were advised the odds of selection for AA were slim, although there are fewer AA(SM) applicants, to be brutally honest, the odds of selection for AA(SM) are at best, remote. This is because the interview assessment will be pretty much the same and you are relying on a shortfall rather than merit.

The way it works is you'll be informed of a notional entry date and around two months before that, they will simply sift the best 12 or 24 (number not known) and confirm with a written job offer. Those not selected will have the news they are not going to be entering as an AA(SM) and the offer of standard ET(MESM or WESM) entry.

Do not apply for AA(SM) if you do not want to be a Submariner regardless of the final selection decision.

I’ve been told after technical interview that I’m a strong candidate and that I stand as good a chance as any at getting the place but because I was approaching the age limit that it might start to be an issue especially with the amount of applicants there is. Becoming a submariner was something I always considered and I haven’t made the decision to change the job role I’ve applied for lightly. The issue I’m having now is my recruiter is telling me that the selection board will be sat and then I’ll be given an entry date which I understand that will be a written offer but surely to be considered for selection I have to have a provisional/notional entry date ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The issue I’m having now is my recruiter is telling me that the selection board will be sat and then I’ll be given an entry date which I understand that will be a written offer but surely to be considered for selection I have to have a provisional/notional entry date ?
Your Careers Adviser will usually know when the next actual AA(SM) entry is going to be (it's published in a recruiting instruction) and advise verbally that your application is going forward for that targetted selection board. Off the top of my head, I think the next AA(SM) entry is March 2019 but the actual date the selection board and confirmation of those selected is known only to masonic wizards and warlocks unfortunately.

Your Careers Adviser will usually know when the next actual AA(SM) entry is going to be (it's published in a recruiting instruction) and advise verbally that your application is going forward for that targetted selection board. Off the top of my head, I think the next AA(SM) entry is March 2019 but the actual date the selection board and confirmation of those selected is known only to masonic wizards and warlocks unfortunately.

You would think he should know but he didnt, I advised him of the dates based on what I read here and he confirmed it with another careers advisor in a different office . I applied for the Navy 2 years ago and it’s so frustrating when I’m getting info from the internet rather than the recruiting office. I’m not sure what to do now because all I get from him is wait, wait and wait but I’ve been waiting for ages and nothing has happened.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You would think he should know but he didnt, I advised him of the dates based on what I read here and he confirmed it with another careers advisor in a different office . I applied for the Navy 2 years ago and it’s so frustrating when I’m getting info from the internet rather than the recruiting office. I’m not sure what to do now because all I get from him is wait, wait and wait but I’ve been waiting for ages and nothing has happened.
Not sure why it's taken two years to join as it is theoretically possible to complete selection in under 30 days if fully prepared from the outset.

Arguably, had the application gone smoothly, a person taking two years to join has failed to earn around £30k from the service. Within two years of joining, I was rated Leading Hand, the wages for leading rate are currently the same as an Accelerated Apprentice earns upon entry.

@Ninja_Stoker Have you recently had any experience/know of any Army transferees go across on the AA/UGAS or regular ET route? I'm keen to understand the process and if/how experience and seniority translates across if at all?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker Have you recently had any experience/know of any Army transferees go across on the AA/UGAS or regular ET route? I'm keen to understand the process and if/how experience and seniority translates across if at all?
I'm no longer a recruiter but can advise that there are upper age limitations for AA/UGAS. There is the DEPOT scheme for SNCOs but otherwise, those accepted to transfer as a RN recruit will start on the New Entry Rate of Pay (which is around £31k for AA/UGAS as you join as a Leading Rate). Promotional seniority will be determined by the AA/UGAS branch manager(s) and advised in writing before transfer actions are undertaken.