Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UGAS Question

Llama

Hi everyone,

First time on the forum.

Just a quick one about the UGAS scheme, I applied and had my interview today however I'm not eligible as I don't have the engineering qualification although I do meet the other requirements. Doesn't matter, although it's a great scheme and I'd love to do it I've gone for ET(MESM).

My question is, after training I would have engineering qualifications, assuming the scheme is still going could I join or is there a similar 'in house' scheme to be fast tracked to PO?

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
We were oversubscribed for 'in service' applicants for this excellent scheme over this last year but the take-up, perhaps understandably, was well over and above that which was hoped-for.

Will it happen again? We hope so, but with so many first rate applicants, the gaps we are aiming to fill may diminish the availability of in-service vacancies.

Truth is, even if the rapid advancement scheme subsequently throttles-back, there will continue to be the opportunity for 'high-flyers' to gain rapid progression through the 'promotion' structure and there will continue to be the opportunity, through the tri-service Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme, to take your foundation degree to full BSc once you complete Petty Officers professional qualifying course.

Llama

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Great news.

Am I right in saying that there is a fast track scheme for MEs if you score 70% or above on tests in training? (Heard it from a mate so if it's absolute bull then enjoy the laugh I just gave you).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Great news.

Am I right in saying that there is a fast track scheme for MEs if you score 70% or above on tests in training? (Heard it from a mate so if it's absolute bull then enjoy the laugh I just gave you).
There always used to be a fast track scheme. AETs have one for the top 5% of aggregated test score results during phase two and I believe WE & ME also have accelerated schemes in place.

When I joined, there was the Specially Selected scheme which involved sitting a board at the end of training. Having passed, we had two months intensive theory training, two months onboard a ship at sea. During the sea phase we had to complete our leading rate taskbooks and about ten or eleven auxiallry machinery certificates, after which we sat a leading rate test and aural board. At the end of it you were 'passed for killick' (leading rate). I picked mine up almost exactly two years from joining...leaving a trail of destruction in my wake ;)

We also had a 'red flash' sewn onto our working dress above the breast pocket, like a medal ribbon. It helped the old and bold stokers to quickly identify who needed a punch first after they had emptied the beer fridge each lunchtime. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Question regarding UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B DUDT on UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
C Ugas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C UGAS Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B UGAS PRNC and interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
C [UGAS] Royal Navy application age issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C UGAS qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K UGAS Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C UGAS intakes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F UGAS interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
K ET(ME) vs UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
JRATGEng Engineering Officer or UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D UGAS or University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Ninja_Stoker Introduction: RN Submariner - Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 104
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Parliament approves veterans question in next Census MoD News 0
F Question about NSRT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Just a question regarding the initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Public given power to question ‘lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J pre-joining question regarding medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
A Question regarding pre-joining medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Ask a silly question… MoD News 0
R Bit of an unusual question The Fleet 27
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
Max9393 Tattoo question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SnowGoose Intake question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Question: CD/ESD/UD/LD/TD in RNVR service Nos. History 4
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
U Question about paperwork to bring to Raleigh RFA 6
Maxpowers FAC and Shotgun cert holder question. Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
S Question about medical test for navy rating recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W RFA medical question RFA 2
T Intriguing Forces Question Diamond Lil's 18
Q Medical Record Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
U Interview soon, question about facial hair RFA 9