Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kran

Hello,

Essentially I had been made PMU prior to even having an in person medical. I read up on everything, but figured that a lot of medical appeals regarding eczema (especially on hands, which is where I had it a few years ago) are usually denied but I submitted my appeal anyway.

In the month and a half or so it took to process it, I applied for University as a back up. The thing is, I did not think I'd get past the medical appeal and I'd become really set on this University course I was looking at. But then I got the call saying my appeal was upheld, and now I'm just extremely confused and torn right now as this feels like a massive decision and I'm not sure what to do. Just looking for some people to help lay out the facts for me, with regards to social life, time off to visit home, training, prospects post uni, life on board submarines etc.

For some more background, in the Navy I'd be doing the UGAS scheme and starting in about a month. At Uni I'd be studying Aerospace Engineering in Bristol with a year in industry. I'm honestly not too concerned about the money side of things, obviously I'd be in debt after Uni but realistically you don't pay much notice to it as its more of an extra tax that comes out of future wages. Honestly I'm just not sure I'm fully prepared to enter full time work and be so far from family; I know RN life can be intense, especially at first, whereas Bristol isn't so far from home and I feel I'd have so much more freedom, as well as the feeling that I'd be missing out a lot if I don't live Uni in my younger years. Obviously UGAS would be fsr superior financially, job security wise and with regards to experience. I'm also thinking it isn't so easy to leave the Navy if I don't enjoy it and I can't help but thinking I'd feel trapped.

Any guidance towards a decision would be greatly appreciated.

fishhead

War Hero
I have no knowledge of the UGAS scheme other than what I have read on this forum. I gather it is very intense and requires full commitment to get through it which is why they are offering the impressive wages. I sense from your post you are concerned about getting homesick and missing your mates. Make no bones about it that will happen unless your current home is hell and you're without friends.
Others may be able to tell you the options if the course proves too much but my feeling is that unless you are 100% committed don't do it.

kran

I have no knowledge of the UGAS scheme other than what I have read on this forum. I gather it is very intense and requires full commitment to get through it which is why they are offering the impressive wages. I sense from your post you are concerned about getting homesick and missing your mates. Make no bones about it that will happen unless your current home is hell and you're without friends.
Others may be able to tell you the options if the course proves too much but my feeling is that unless you are 100% committed don't

I suppose thats true; some circumstances have changed a bit at home with sick relatives and I guess I'm not as ready to leave as I thought, especially with such an intense course. I can always go for it post-grad if its still in my interests at that point.

Chris P

War Hero
I suppose thats true; some circumstances have changed a bit at home with sick relatives and I guess I'm not as ready to leave as I thought, especially with such an intense course. I can always go for it post-grad if its still in my interests at that point.
Sensible logical choice at this stage, given home circs and your reservations, providing you do well in Uni your options are much wider and the mob should still be interested I would've thought if that's your bent, good luck.

missjessie

Midshipman
Just to add that the UGAS scheme last entry will be September 2021. After this date it will close and no further entries will be taken.
there are pros and cons to both uni and UGAS.
Earning (a substantial) salary while you learn a trade far out weighs Univeristy.
Good luck with your decision.

kran

Sensible logical choice at this stage, given home circs and your reservations, providing you do well in Uni your options are much wider and the mob should still be interested I would've thought if that's your bent, good luck.
Yes, if its still in my interest to join the armed forces by the time I've finished Uni I imagine I'll be able to reapply again for the FAA or RAF.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Haha, care to enlighten me?

The RN have traditions. The RAF have habits.

The RAF take off and land on solid ground. FAA take off and land on platforms that are moving - and not always just moving forward but up, down and sideways.

There is an old Pongo joke that starts with a briefing - "Right folks. Four days on the Brecon Beacons, tab up, harbour and patrol. Endex Friday afternoon at 1600 hours, uplift by RAF helicopters. Unless it is raining. At which point it will be the Royal Navy."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D UGAS or University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
H Sports during UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) Submariners 2
B DUDT on UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
C Ugas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C UGAS Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B UGAS PRNC and interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
C [UGAS] Royal Navy application age issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Question regarding UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C UGAS qualifications Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K UGAS Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
C UGAS intakes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F UGAS interview Joining the Royal Navy 3
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
K ET(ME) vs UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Llama UGAS Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
JRATGEng Engineering Officer or UGAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ninja_Stoker Introduction: RN Submariner - Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 104
MoD_RSS Fewer than 1 in 5 university students had COVID-19 by end of autumn term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ‘Nightingale Court’ opens at University of Hull MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ‘Nightingale Court’ opens at Hull University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First people to receive Oxford University/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine today (4 January 2021) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Oxford University/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine approved MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine authorised by UK medicines regulator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All students offered testing on return to university MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government plans for post-qualification university admissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turkmen University students enjoy online lecture with the British Ambassador MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Oxford University and PHE confirm high-sensitivity of lateral flow tests MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas guidance set out for university students  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government invests in Covid research at St Andrews University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Paraguayan Ministry of Health and Stirling University sign agreement MoD News 0
R Whether to continue with University Sqn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS GOSH Hospital signs a five-year contract with Ain Shams University Hospital MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra university places for vital courses announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major Birmingham University station upgrade will boost economy and improve journeys for passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Michael Walker, Referee Analyst, honoured by Queen's University MoD News 0
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: Oxford Brookes University, Wheatley Campus, College Close, Wheatley, Oxford (ref: 3230827 - 23 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of Operations visits Durham University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of People visits Brighton University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA Engagement Day at Cranfield University MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS Education Secretary backs review of university admissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University of Liverpool changes student debt penalty policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Collaborating with Queen’s University to improve coffee authenticity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University boosts earnings by around 20% across the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University? Traineeship? First Job? What’s your post-exam plan? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: University sector rises to challenge from Education Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Loughborough University leads a UK aid programme to tackle climate change MoD News 0