UGAS or University?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dwade98, Aug 30, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all!
    I know there are very similar threads out there on this topic but I've been torn up on deciding whether to join the Royal Navy on the Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme or to join a University and find a career in mechanical engineering on 'civvy street'. I am currently in my 1st year of sixth form and soon to be starting my 2nd year within the next couple of weeks.

After visiting my local AFCO and University (The University of Sheffield) I have ultimately come down to these conclusions.
    UGAS-Study a BEng in Mech Engineering (Hons) with no student debt
    -Starting salary of £31,000 rising to £42,500 after 4 years and to £48,500 at the end of the course
    -Become a Cat B Nuclear Watchkeeper and gain significant engineering experience

University-Study a MEng in Mech Engineering (Hons) with £36,000 course debt+£22,000 accommodation
    -Opportunities to study abroad and take a year off with a self organised work placement

At the moment I seem fairly set on going with UGAS although I do have a few questions if anyone could answer them.
    -What is social life like as a submariner?
    -What are the job prospects like for someone who finishes their time in the service?
    -Would I be maturing too quick by joining the RN straight from sixth form and skipping University life?

And lastly
    -How does life in the Royal Navy differ to life as a University student?

Cheers! :)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmnn, difficult shout.

Get a job, earn £95,500, three years promotional hands-on life-experience and a nuclear engineering degree or stay in education, rack-up £52,000 debt and earn a degree with little by way of practical work experience?

The social life of a submariner inboard is very similar to that of a student only perhaps a little more intense as it is accompanied by a wage and like-minded people.

The job prospects and earnings potential for a qualified nuclear engineer with 8 years practical service and management experience is considerably more than those of a newly graduated student. For nuclear engineers, the future is bright.

The difference? In most cases nowadays, people go to university to gain a vocational degree in order to acquire a job and earn a wage. It's an extremely expensive way to gain "life experience" which can actually be better achieved in the workplace.

Although some disagree, a university is a revenue-generating entity. It is a business in itself. If everyone stayed in fulltime education for three or four (or five + years) we would have a workforce with zero practical technical experience in the workplace. Trouble is, we have lots of people who go to uni, get their degree and wrongly assume they will be immediately employed as a manager of people who can actually do the job by virtue of the degree and the real-life experience.

NUGAS? A golden opportunity - Grab it with both hands because I suspect it won't be offered for long.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Well said Ninja
    1. Great with loads of dosh
    3. Great
    3. Jack gets older, no guarantee he will grow up
    4. Less rules & regulations at uni but also no job on offer at the end, we have been looking for 5 engineers for some time, the new graduates just are not up to the mark, not lack of experience, but what the universities are teaching them. It's great to have a degree but it needs to be of a subject matter that industry wants?

4. Mum, when I grow up I want to be a submariner.

Well make your mind up son, you can't do both!

Go NUGAS - it is a no brainer.

5. Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I have to say when I take a step back and listen to the points of other people it is a no brainer. I'm hoping to get my application through as soon as possible as I'm so nervous about this opportunity vanishing, although when I went to the AFCO in Sheffield they told me that I would have to apply when I receive my full A-Levels which would be next August which worried me! However, speaking to someone who is currently on NUGAS they mentioned that they were able to apply whilst half way through their last year of sixth form so I'm hoping for the best.

6. Good luck

7. If I may play the devil's advocate, you are less likely to get shot at if you go to university

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ninja is qualified to give advice on this aspect of the job. Thanks to his Fathers wise advice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Depends where he goes? Relatively safe on Boats they do not present as big a target?

10. You can get sent anywhere bud.
    The demands of the service

11. I get that. But ninja has a vested interest, being employed by the service, indirectly or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

I'd argue more international Students have been shot at in Universities than British Submariners have been shot at since 1945. Debatable, admittedly ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. I'll give you that, but we're not talking about foreign Universities for the Op are we?

14. Just to give you all a quick update, I recently passed my RT test and I have got my RN interview booked for within the next few weeks. I'm also filling out my UCAS applications as a fall back for if their is anything wrong with my application but I'm hoping it goes alright. Now i just need to get this interview over and done with aha!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Best o'luck. Let us know how it goes.

16. Passed my interview today! I've now got my security checks to complete which I heard can take ages and I've been put down to attend a Submarine Look at Life course in Rosyth in January. Does anyone happen to know what I should expect at Rosyth?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Well done!

The Look at Life course pretty much follows the PRNC framework but obviously includes submarine briefs and visits with the opportunity to speak with current serving submariners so you get to hear the good and the bad in an open & frank manner.

18. Again, thank you very much Ninja! Ahh well it sounds really quite fun and I'm looking forward to the Look at life and PRNC :)

• Like Like x 1