UGAS Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by kxvbac, Nov 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in the process of applying for the UGAS scheme (WE) and I have my in person medical appointment this week.

So far everything is going fine.

I just have a couple of questions on the interview I will have to undergo at the end of the PRNC.

I know it will be with the officer in charge of the UGAS scheme and will last about 40 mins, but can anybody
    give me any tips on what it will mainly be about? Technical knowledge? Navy knowledge? About myself?

Is there a certain kind of person they are looking for on the scheme?

Is there anything I can be doing now to revise/prepare for it?

And finally, are the chances good of passing if I already passed all the rest of it?

I would imagine that they wouldn't allow someone to go all the way to the PRNC just to fail them at the last hurdle, unless they're very unsuitable right?

Or do they just get loads of applicants through? And filter out the ones they don't want at the end?

I know I can't know for sure if I'll get through, but it would be horrible to get right to the end and fail at the final hurdle, so I at least want to have an idea of the chances.

Thanks for you help.

2. My son heard a few weeks after his PRNC. This was when all the UGAS applicants who were ready for a September start had completed PRNC.

I seem to recall that 20/35 got offered places.

3. Thanks a lot.

Could be better of course, but that doesn't seem too bad to me at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. They ask you about yourself, why you want to join amongst other stuff. I’d ask my son more but he’s getting ready to pass out this Friday!

5. Oh yeah I read through that thread, I was thinking about shooting you a message but it seemed like you hadn't been on for a while.

I'd be interested to know how many people were applying for UGAS with you, if you know, and how many were accepted onto the course.

Also a bit about your background (what qualifications you have and grades, previous work experience, age, personality etc.) and the people interviewing with you also. I have AAB at A level which is well above the minimum requirement, but were there a lot of people with you who had over the minimum as well? Or were there any who already had a degree or previous engineering experience?

Were there any questions that caught you out, or made you think twice?

Did you bother getting into some engineering/maths stuff beforehand for the interview? And if so what did you do? And did it help you in the interview?

I figured I'd ask you on here rather than on a message since I'm sure the information would be of great benefit to others, but if there's anything you don't want to post publicly a private message would be great too.

Thanks a lot, I haven't seen many people who have gotten into UGAS on this forum, so any advice from you would be gold.

6. On my PRNC (and I assume other PRNC's) there were 5 of us, but one dropped out on the 2nd day, so 4 of us were interviewed in total - all going for MESM. From what I gather, there haven't been as many applying for weapons so you might be in more with a chance going for WESM.

In terms of how many people were accepted, for my week, I don't have a clue. However, I've been in touch with some other guys who applied for UGAS who were on a different course (but have the same entry date) and 3 out of the 4 were successful.

So I studied for a BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering and gained D*D*D* and also have a HNC in Mechanical Engineering along with 2 years of work experience. However, qualifications, whilst are important for an academic background, they are not the only aspect they take into account. From the interview, it was clear that they want someone who is genuinely interested in the role and have practical skills to side with the academic background. For example, I love tinkering with my car and have an interest in sports (it's the whole package). Remember they're also looking for leadership, not particularly experience, but potential so confidence in answering questions is good. I was the youngest there at 21.

They have set questions they ask every candidate so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Not maths, but defo do some research into both marine and weapon engineering systems, the links I attached earlier were really useful. Remember to research both.

Hope this all helps! Advice truly is gold. I wasn't even told I had an additional interview until I found the info from the guys on this forum!

7. Thanks a lot.

I am going for WESM, so hopefully that'll help my chances.

Could you tell me any of the questions you got at the interview? Or would that not be allowed? I guess it is kind of cheating in a way.

Did you find out any more information on what you'll actually be doing on the course? I was given some good information after my interview, but there still seems that there are many gaps.

I'm already very fit, and the academics are there too, so is there anything you recommend I could be doing during the few months before my UGAS interview to improve my chances?

8. No worries. I won't, just to be safe haha.

Tbh, I've had no further info from my AFCO. I have been researching around for what kind of leadership courses UGAS candidates take whilst at the RNLA and Sultan but other than that, I'm prepping for Raleigh as I leave in 3 weeks!

Good stuff. Prepare as much as you can by weapon and marine systems research. How the basic systems work (nuclear reactor) and submarine weapons, sonar, radar etc. Ensure that you've also learnt as much as you can about the training pipeline.

Good Luck!

9. Good luck to you too.

Let us all know how you get on at Raleigh.

Thanks for all the help.