Cymro

Hi NavyNet,

First post and, hopefully, not my last.

I'm currently in the process of applying to join the RNR as a Logs officer. One problem I have encountered is the number of UCAS points required. I did not do well at school at all and, frankly, during my A-Levels, nothing could have interested me less than actually revising.

I turned myself around in 2009 and got into Glasgow Uni, then followed that up with an MA at Leeds Uni and, now, doing my PhD at Cardiff Uni.

The question, albeit perhaps stupid, is: is my level of education enough to actually even try to get into BRNC or should I just quit now because, ten years ago, I was an absolute squid?

Cheers.

Kelvin

Badgeman
The conclusion in this thread was absolutely no exceptions. If you're totally unwilling to enter as a rating you should think again if your reasons for joining are the right ones.

Cymro

The conclusion in this thread was absolutely no exceptions. If you're totally unwilling to enter as a rating you should think again if your reasons for joining are the right ones.
I have no issues joining up as a rating. I'd be happy to. I've just wanted to be a logs officer as a career for a fair while now but if I can't, I can't. Cheers for the referral post though.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Apologies for the delayed response. Camping in North Wales with negat 4G!

To be honest, there tends to be a bit more leeway with regard the UCAS aspect to those with a couple or more degrees as it's often the case the said degrees can be accepted in lieu of the UCAS requirement....subject to verification of adequate academic content in the required fields - particularly in the case of branches that do not require vocational degrees.

Trouble is, not all people are aware of this fact, so the advice is to produce all certificates at your local, friendly AFCO when you sit the recruit test and ask nicely if they'd be so kind as to take copies of the qualifications held for onward transmission to the Admiralty Interview Board to double-check academic eligibility.

Best o'luck - please let us know how you get on.

Cymro

Apologies for the delayed response. Camping in North Wales with negat 4G!

To be honest, there tends to be a bit more leeway with regard the UCAS aspect to those with a couple or more degrees as it's often the case the said degrees can be accepted in lieu of the UCAS requirement....subject to verification of adequate academic content in the required fields - particularly in the case of branches that do not require vocational degrees.

Trouble is, not all people are aware of this fact, so the advice is to produce all certificates at your local, friendly AFCO when you sit the recruit test and ask nicely if they'd be so kind as to take copies of the qualifications held for onward transmission to the Admiralty Interview Board to double-check academic eligibility.

Best o'luck - please let us know how you get on.
Thanks so much for the advice and apologies, myself, for my own delay. It's good to hear there is a more pragmatic approach! I won't hold my breath but I won't let it stop me trying. If it's unsuccessful, I'll join up as a rating. Frigates of men.

I'll update this thread when I know more but I appreicate your (and everyone's) advice.

All the best.

slim

War Hero
Cheers for tagging them!

It's in Welsh so, y'know, the most useful of all the languages!

Mae'n edrych fel dwi'n mynd i bod Rating!

Useful my arse!
You even have to steal English words when you need to swear;)

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
Obviously Ninja has the best low-down on what to do & about taking your certs in to be sent off for approval, I would add from my (limited) experience to keep checking. During my first application I told the AFCO I didnt have any UCAS points but did have a BSc and was told 'no problem' right up until attest date when the decision changed (mildly frustrating). Luckily when I came back a year later with an MSc the application went through no problem.

Check, check & check again. Good luck/ pob lwc

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Hello.

Just realised that this is an RNR enquiry.

I should also engage, now, with the While Ship Co-Ordinator for your chosen unit (CAMBRIA, I am guessing). The WSC is mandated to assist and advise potential candidates, both Wardroom and Lower deck. He/she has contacts within the recruiting pipeline that might smooth the way.

Be clear the WSC can't adjust the entry criteria, but he can iron out some of the Capita speed humps.
BH

Cymro

S'mae bois bach!

I've had an update on this. I've spoken to someone responsible for Recruitment in the RNR for my region. Thoroughly nice bloke. He has informed me that there is the potential for a waiver to the UCAS requirements but that the waiver will only be employed if you impress in your initial interview.

Thanks again for all your imput.

And, English, you're a good language but you can't get on at us for using your (French/German/Danish) swearwords. We make our own, largely.

Diolch yn fawr eto am holl eich help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Reserve Officer Entry- Quick Query UCAS Points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
WannabeAdmiral Do EPQs count towards UCAS points? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
photface OU Credits to UCAS points, anyone have any information? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
L UCAS Points - Officer entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
G How are UCAS points calculated ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Gaining extra UCAS points for officer entry. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
O UCAS Points for AIB and some guidance please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
eddietheboyp UCAS points for officer The Fleet 10
S Officer entry....no UCAS points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 103
S UCAS points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
T UCAS points - what counts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B UCAS Points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A UCAS Points Clarification Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
K Qualifications required to become a Warfare Officer, i.e UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Officer UCAS query Joining the Royal Navy 13
J UCAS? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Alevels and UCAS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
W Intresting question on my UCAS form Social & Reunions 1
MoD_RSS HM The Queen recognises Nova Scotian volunteer with Commonwealth Points of Light award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cameroon: 145 Commonwealth Points of Light MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commonwealth Points of Light Award: Her Majesty The Queen Congratulates Pakistani Volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Douglas Ross comment on new points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK announces new points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary announces new UK points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM The Queen recognises Newfoundlander volunteer with Commonwealth Points of Light award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Points-based system and salary thresholds for immigration: letter from the MAC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of "Crossing Points" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh councils to receive hundreds of thousands in UK Government funding to improve availability of electric vehicle charge points MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary tasks MAC on Australian-style points-based immigration system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commissioning letter to the MAC on a points-based system for migration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Study points to new ways to reduce conflict in fragile states MoD News 0
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
SONAR-BENDER Points to ponder! Diamond Lil's 9
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Points earned towards DQs. Site Issues 6
trelawney126 Did Boots do Double Points for Mrs Hulme Diamond Lil's 3
B RT points Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
P RN Pscyhometric Examination - 2 points short to be a Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Asst_Ed "Pinch points" Current Affairs 7
slim Does Norman have some valid points. Diamond Lil's 73
K DVLA (2) how to get those points removed... Motoring 13
higthepig Points t Ponder Diamond Lil's 8
C points on your license Diamond Lil's 32
Asasioun Wisdom (teeth) or lack of Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Lack of food and access to healthcare in Venezuela MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: International Humanitarian Law: We lack enforcement and accountability MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A lack of results and accountability: monitoring corruption cases in Kosovan prosecutorial and judicial systems MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
I Sea time or lack thereof Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
finknottle UK Border Controls or Lack of. Current Affairs 49
soleil Guardian: "Navy Forced To Drop Warship Patrols In Caribbean Through Lack Of Funds" The Fleet 25