Hi NavyNet,

First post and, hopefully, not my last.

I'm currently in the process of applying to join the RNR as a Logs officer. One problem I have encountered is the number of UCAS points required. I did not do well at school at all and, frankly, during my A-Levels, nothing could have interested me less than actually revising.

I turned myself around in 2009 and got into Glasgow Uni, then followed that up with an MA at Leeds Uni and, now, doing my PhD at Cardiff Uni.

The question, albeit perhaps stupid, is: is my level of education enough to actually even try to get into BRNC or should I just quit now because, ten years ago, I was an absolute squid?

Cheers.

The conclusion in this thread was absolutely no exceptions. If you're totally unwilling to enter as a rating you should think again if your reasons for joining are the right ones.
I have no issues joining up as a rating. I'd be happy to. I've just wanted to be a logs officer as a career for a fair while now but if I can't, I can't. Cheers for the referral post though.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Apologies for the delayed response. Camping in North Wales with negat 4G!

To be honest, there tends to be a bit more leeway with regard the UCAS aspect to those with a couple or more degrees as it's often the case the said degrees can be accepted in lieu of the UCAS requirement....subject to verification of adequate academic content in the required fields - particularly in the case of branches that do not require vocational degrees.

Trouble is, not all people are aware of this fact, so the advice is to produce all certificates at your local, friendly AFCO when you sit the recruit test and ask nicely if they'd be so kind as to take copies of the qualifications held for onward transmission to the Admiralty Interview Board to double-check academic eligibility.

Best o'luck - please let us know how you get on.

Apologies for the delayed response. Camping in North Wales with negat 4G!

To be honest, there tends to be a bit more leeway with regard the UCAS aspect to those with a couple or more degrees as it's often the case the said degrees can be accepted in lieu of the UCAS requirement....subject to verification of adequate academic content in the required fields - particularly in the case of branches that do not require vocational degrees.

Trouble is, not all people are aware of this fact, so the advice is to produce all certificates at your local, friendly AFCO when you sit the recruit test and ask nicely if they'd be so kind as to take copies of the qualifications held for onward transmission to the Admiralty Interview Board to double-check academic eligibility.

Best o'luck - please let us know how you get on.
Thanks so much for the advice and apologies, myself, for my own delay. It's good to hear there is a more pragmatic approach! I won't hold my breath but I won't let it stop me trying. If it's unsuccessful, I'll join up as a rating. Frigates of men.

I'll update this thread when I know more but I appreicate your (and everyone's) advice.

All the best.

Obviously Ninja has the best low-down on what to do & about taking your certs in to be sent off for approval, I would add from my (limited) experience to keep checking. During my first application I told the AFCO I didnt have any UCAS points but did have a BSc and was told 'no problem' right up until attest date when the decision changed (mildly frustrating). Luckily when I came back a year later with an MSc the application went through no problem.

Check, check & check again. Good luck/ pob lwc

Branch-Hopper

Lantern Swinger
Hello.

Just realised that this is an RNR enquiry.

I should also engage, now, with the While Ship Co-Ordinator for your chosen unit (CAMBRIA, I am guessing). The WSC is mandated to assist and advise potential candidates, both Wardroom and Lower deck. He/she has contacts within the recruiting pipeline that might smooth the way.

Be clear the WSC can't adjust the entry criteria, but he can iron out some of the Capita speed humps.
BH

S'mae bois bach!

I've had an update on this. I've spoken to someone responsible for Recruitment in the RNR for my region. Thoroughly nice bloke. He has informed me that there is the potential for a waiver to the UCAS requirements but that the waiver will only be employed if you impress in your initial interview.

Thanks again for all your imput.

And, English, you're a good language but you can't get on at us for using your (French/German/Danish) swearwords. We make our own, largely.

Diolch yn fawr eto am holl eich help.