U/Y progression

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ToonPatriot, Feb 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all.
    Just a quick question as I seem to be getting a lot of mixed answers from different people and sources. (Up to Lt. of course)

I have heard and in some instances read that a U/Y joining BRNC will follow the same progression route as a non-graduate, grads and non-grads have no differences between their progression any more, U/Y with more than 3 years as a rating will actually join as a S/Lt. and that an U/Y will skip S/Lt. and be promoted strainght from Midshipman to S/Lt. after around 5 years (although that is the statement i least believe!!)

Is anyone able to give me any clarification on this? It would be much appreciated. :)
  2. The answers you seek are in BR3. I do not know if you are serving, but if you are, your DO and Education Officer should know this information! The rules changed in Sep 13. Prior to then, the rules were different, with graduate entrants and UYs/SUYs able to claim bonus seniority/rank based on their degree and/or time in service.

Chapter 50 is the overall guide to the UY and SUY schemes, and describes how SUY rank and seniority works.

Chapters 48 (Entry to the Naval Service) and 66 (Officer Promotion) show the rank and seniority progression for UYs, in keeping with their parity with their DE counterparts.

3. Many thanks for the info.
    I actually found it online and just came on to close the thread! Genuinely did not know you could access the BRs from civi internet! Still very grateful regardless!
  4. Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. CMV

CMV Midshipman

Hello everyone,

I know I am posting a little late to this forum. I am currently considering joining the Officer's training programme at BRNC in 2018. I will be a graduate with an LL.B Law degree in 2017. I recently spoke to the RN recruitment people who stated there is a 2.5-year minimum wait before one can be promoted to Lieutenant and a 4-year minimum before one can be promoted from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander - is this case with all roles? I pointed out that some current Admirals (according to their profiles) have been promoted in their youth to such roles in under 2 years. Obviously, these promotions were a while back and things may have changed but are these minimum waiting schemes set in stone or can an Officer progress faster if merited?

I have read the information you all posted and found it very informative. However, how would these promotions apply to a graduate-entry Officer versus a UY?

Many thanks,
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator