U/Y progression

Evening all.
Just a quick question as I seem to be getting a lot of mixed answers from different people and sources. (Up to Lt. of course)

I have heard and in some instances read that a U/Y joining BRNC will follow the same progression route as a non-graduate, grads and non-grads have no differences between their progression any more, U/Y with more than 3 years as a rating will actually join as a S/Lt. and that an U/Y will skip S/Lt. and be promoted strainght from Midshipman to S/Lt. after around 5 years (although that is the statement i least believe!!)

Is anyone able to give me any clarification on this? It would be much appreciated. :)

The answers you seek are in BR3. I do not know if you are serving, but if you are, your DO and Education Officer should know this information! The rules changed in Sep 13. Prior to then, the rules were different, with graduate entrants and UYs/SUYs able to claim bonus seniority/rank based on their degree and/or time in service.

Chapter 50 is the overall guide to the UY and SUY schemes, and describes how SUY rank and seniority works.

Chapters 48 (Entry to the Naval Service) and 66 (Officer Promotion) show the rank and seniority progression for UYs, in keeping with their parity with their DE counterparts.

BR3 para 4803 said:
4803. Rank and Seniority on Entry
a. Warfare, Engineer, Logistics and RM officers - Entry post 1 Sep 13
(1) Regardless of an individual's age or educational qualifications held, all Direct Entry and Upper Yardman (UY) Warfare, Engineer and Logistics officers will join BRNC Dartmouth in the rank of Midshipman. Whilst at BRNC, individuals will be addressed as an Officer Cadet until successful completion of Initial Naval Training (Officer) (INT(O)), at which point they will be referred to as Midshipmen. See Para 6632 sub para a for the rules on subsequent promotion.
BR3 para 5032 said:
5032. SUY Officers - Rank and Seniority on joining the Officers Corps
a. Warfare, Engineer, Medical Services and Family Service officers.
(1) From 1 Sep 13.
In all cases, a SUY officer's rank and seniority on entry is based on the following:
(a) Ratings below WO1 join BRNC as a Sub Lieutenant with 6 months' seniority. Individuals are eligible for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Sub Lieutenant (i.e. 2 years after joining the Officer Corps). On promotion to Lieutenant, officers are awarded an additional year's seniority and are therefore eligible to enter the Lt-Lt Cdr promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Lieutenant) - see Annex 66B.
(b) All WO1s (bar Command Warrant Officers - see sub para (c)) join BRNC as a Sub Lieutenant with 18 months' seniority. Individuals are eligible for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Sub Lieutenant (i.e. 1 year after joining the Officer Corps). On promotion to Lieutenant, officers are awarded an additional year's seniority and are therefore eligible to enter the Lt-Lt Cdr promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Lieutenant).
(c) Command Warrant Officers join BRNC directly as a Lieutenant with one year's seniority and are eligible to enter the Lt-Lt Cdr promotion zone 3 years later (on attaining a total of 4 years' seniority as a Lieutenant).
(d) All SUY officers wear the rank insignia of an Officer Cadet whilst undertaking Initial Naval Training at BRNC, in line with their Direct Entry counterparts, and ship the substantive rank insignia on passing out.
BR3 para 6634 said:
6634. Promotion to Lieutenant RN/Captain RM pre and post 1 Sep 13 - Upper Yardman/ Corps Commission candidates
a. Post 1 Sep 13.
With the exception of the September 2013 UY/CC and 2014 UY(E) entries, for whom pre-Sep 13 promotion rules will continue to apply (see Para 6634 sub para b), ratings and other ranks promoted via the UY and CC schemes respectively will be awarded the same rank and seniority on entry as their Direct Entry officer counterparts (set out at Para 6632 sub para a and Para 6633 sub para a).
BR3 para 6632 said:
6632. Promotion up to Lieutenant RN pre and post 1 Sep 13 - Direct Entry Warfare, Engineering, Logistics and Medical Services Officers)
a. From 1 Sep 13.
Regardless of an individual's age or educational qualifications held on entry, all Direct Entry Warfare, Engineer and Logistics officers will join BRNC Dartmouth as a Midshipman. On completion of 12 months' service from their date of entry, officers who have successfully completed Initial Naval Training (Officers) (INT(O)) will be promoted to Sub Lieutenant. Individuals who fail to complete INT(O) within a year of joining the RN will not be promoted at this point and, instead, will become eligible for confirmation as a Sub Lieutenant once the training has been completed successfully (see Para 6640 for the rules relating to backdated awards of pay and seniority). Thereafter, officers will be eligible for promotion to the rank of Lieutenant on attaining 30 months' seniority as a Sub Lieutenant. Promotion beyond the rank of Lieutenant is by selection.

Many thanks for the info.
I actually found it online and just came on to close the thread! Genuinely did not know you could access the BRs from civi internet! Still very grateful regardless!

Hello everyone,

I know I am posting a little late to this forum. I am currently considering joining the Officer's training programme at BRNC in 2018. I will be a graduate with an LL.B Law degree in 2017. I recently spoke to the RN recruitment people who stated there is a 2.5-year minimum wait before one can be promoted to Lieutenant and a 4-year minimum before one can be promoted from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander - is this case with all roles? I pointed out that some current Admirals (according to their profiles) have been promoted in their youth to such roles in under 2 years. Obviously, these promotions were a while back and things may have changed but are these minimum waiting schemes set in stone or can an Officer progress faster if merited?

I have read the information you all posted and found it very informative. However, how would these promotions apply to a graduate-entry Officer versus a UY?

Many thanks,
CMV

Last edited:

Latest Threads