Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"U.S. Navy ‘moving aggressively’ to allow women on subs"

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Re: "U.S. Navy ‘moving aggressively’ to allow women on s

Yeah, just what you need, some moody bitch with PMT as panel watchkeeper. :?

Oil_Slick said:

My, my, what a Luddite sexist you are! One day the fact that women couldn't serve at sea will be looked on as one of those unenlightened practices of the dim and distant past, like children down coal mines and male homosexuality as a crime. BZ the USN!

Topstop

War Hero

Oil_Slick said:

There have been some "moody bitches" panel watch keeping :D

wardmaster said:
Oil_Slick said:

My, my, what a Luddite sexist you are! One day the fact that women couldn't serve at sea will be looked on as one of those unenlightened practices of the dim and distant past, like children down coal mines and male homosexuality as a crime. BZ the USN!

Please, pass on to us the benefits of your seatime experience, Wardmaster.

Oil_Slick

War Hero

wardmaster said:
Oil_Slick said:

One day, PC twunts like you may, (but I doubt it), realize that there are situations in this world were woman are most definately not equal to men. On a boat you can't have a bad hair day or get all away with the fairies because you have PMT.

Here's a thing throbber, there are no spare bodies on a boat, everyone has a job to do, and those jobs tend to be rather critical to the safety of the boat, and, unlike in your cozy PC world, on a boat, one **** up can kill the entire crew in a heartbeat.

You can have a weakest link on a skimmer, you can't on a boat, that's why Submariners are such a ferociously close knit bunch.

SRT1

Badgeman

I haven't actually served on a submarine (so could someone tell whether I'm correct on this?) but it seems to me that, based on the degree to which the RN separates the accommodation of men and women on bases and ships it doesn't seem practical to do this on a boat (again, this is based on what I've read, not personal experience)

The only way to do it without seriously cramped sleeping arrangements would either be to not separate men and women (something I can't see happening), radically redesign the boats or to have all female crews on certain boats (a concept that I'm sure will provoke some interesting responses).

Guns

War Hero

xxxxxx edited

Oil_Slick

War Hero

Guns said:
Right so all women become homicidal killers once a month do they????

Well, actually most woman do underperform once a month, some drastically so. NO amount of PC boll0x can overcome a fact of biology.

AfterSSE

War Hero

Guns said:
Female OOW on a skimer as the ship is in a close quarters situation during say a Quickdraw.

Someone, anyone can step up and take over, like say the skipper...? Don't expect a boats skipper to run fwd to shut certain valves.... :roll:

Ships have more resources for that sort of stuff, very hard to replace positions on a submarine due to someone constantly getting cramps... :wink:

Don't confuse the 2, if you haven't served on boats, you aren't exactly qualified to form an opinion....I have sailed with women on skimmers and they are fine and are capable of doing what's required of them...but the boat scenario is a whole different beast... :wink:

malspal

Lantern Swinger

Could it bring "Hot Bunking" back again? :D

The_Jimmy

War Hero

Nice to see that the USN is catching up with the RAN..Female sailors have been on RAN boats (subs) for a few years now. When are the RN going to follow? 8)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
BARNEYRNSM said:
When the RN brings back diesel boats perhaps?

Now, that would be a move in the right direction. They could all mess in the afterends so no expense in redesigning the living accomodation

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

Topstop said:
Oil_Slick said:

I have been moody and I was a panel operator - do I qualify?

Polycell

War Hero

SONAR-BENDER said:
Topstop said:
Oil_Slick said:

And you are a Jock - Yes you qualify :wink:

Topstop

War Hero

SONAR-BENDER said:
Topstop said:
Oil_Slick said:

Could have been one of em :D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Ho-hum, here we go again.

Like it or otherwise, despite the fact that few females would wish to serve on boats, the submarine service would quite possibly be the first to admit that the argument against females serving on boats would not stand up to legal scrutiny & it will doubtless happen sooner than many may like to think.

The old chestnut about latent carbon monoxide on nuclear boats, potential damage to the foetus based on assumptions rather than catalogued facts derived from US 'research' is conveniently sheltered under the "duty of care" umbrella at present. The traditional, oft heard counter argument running along the lines of: "What if the female is sterile....?"

Then we go down the route of accommodation issues, as we did on minesweepers. It's perhaps worth having a look on the Astute boats to see if bunk spaces can be divided & the Bombers SR accommodation to see whether that argument still holds water for the time being. Likewise heads & bathrooms- we currently have Officers, Senior Rates & Junior Rates ablutions- how bonkers is that?

Doubtless there will be those that will cite females serving on boats as their reason for leaving the service, much as the same category of people did in the general service. The mistaken belief being that the service could not run without their expertise: It did previously & it will again.

Whether it's right or wrong is open to conjecture, but it will happen.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

Topstop said:
SONAR-BENDER said:
Topstop said:
Oil_Slick said:

Could have been one of em :D

I was a panel operator and was NEVER moody, and I'll slap any [email protected] who says I was :evil: :angry5: :thumbleft:

Oil_Slick

War Hero

Ninja_Stoker said:
Ho-hum, here we go again.

Like it or otherwise, despite the fact that few females would wish to serve on boats, the submarine service would quite possibly be the first to admit that the argument against females serving on boats would not stand up to legal scrutiny & it will doubtless happen sooner than many may like to think.

And there we have it. It will be nothing to do with operational reality or efficiency, it will be a decision driven purely by PC lawyers and their interpretation of trendy laws.

The Israelis tried the game of fully integrated front line forces and rapidly dropped it. They found that when the shit hits the fan, a basic bit of hardwired male biology often kicks in, 'protect the females' with sometimes bad results.

It's all well and good for naval gazing PC lawyers to espouse a 'we are all equal' mantra in their cozy chambers, but it's hard enough to think about dogging down the hatch and dooming a compartment full of blokes screaming at you to let them out when you spring a leak, you'd have to be a bloody cold hearted bastard to do the same without hesitation with the female berthing area and ignore their screams, and on a boat, the seconds while you struggle with that dilemma could be the difference between saving the boat and disaster.

Boats ARE different, you're always a heartbeat and a mistake away from being killed in a totally hostile environment, and in an environment where a split second can mean the difference between survival and disaster, it's no place for PC driven compromises.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
higthepig Navy news November 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil FB: NAVYFit - Squash - 1SL v The Chief Of The Australian Navy Sports and Adventure Training 1
higthepig Navy news August 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
D Navy CBAT/FATs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
soleil FB: Navy Wings - Aircrew Logbooks The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
J Navy to raf apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1