U boat query

Discussion in 'History' started by lancslad, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just returned home from a very pleasant conversation with an Australian colleague who has informed me that during WW2 her Austrian father was an officer with the U-boat service. She's keen to know more and I'd be interested as to verification of a point she mentioned which I've never heard of before i.e. SOP was for senior officers in the U-boat service to evacuate boats in the event of extreme danger so as to preserve the expertise. I've read the account by Herbert Werner (Iron Coffins) but I've never heard of this before. Is there anyone much more enlightened than myself who can shed any light on this statement?

2. Try:

very informative, and also lists all allied warships sunk by said Uboats.

3. Not heard of that before. this site may help

Lots of interrogation reports from captured U-boat men (quite revealing, what some if the crews had to say) and generally everything you need to know about U-boats and their crews.
  4. Your best avenue would be an inquiry to a German Submariner's Association.

You may find a lead to one through: http://submariners.org/home.htm

(Heartless? Yet it does seem to be a credible, logical policy in view of the Germanic mind-set of that era)

RN? I believe that the current scheme is still one whereby the Senior Survivor (of whatever rank) in an S/M escape scenario takes control of the situation and would be the very last-man-out.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

In any situation at sea, if you are the senior man, you are responsible for those junior to you. They come first.
  6. Correctomundo hence an SM qualified steward can take charge of non-qual hossifers