U boat query

I've just returned home from a very pleasant conversation with an Australian colleague who has informed me that during WW2 her Austrian father was an officer with the U-boat service. She's keen to know more and I'd be interested as to verification of a point she mentioned which I've never heard of before i.e. SOP was for senior officers in the U-boat service to evacuate boats in the event of extreme danger so as to preserve the expertise. I've read the account by Herbert Werner (Iron Coffins) but I've never heard of this before. Is there anyone much more enlightened than myself who can shed any light on this statement?

lancslad

lancslad said:
I've just returned home from a very pleasant conversation with an Australian colleague who has informed me that during WW2 her Austrian father was an officer with the U-boat service. She's keen to know more and I'd be interested as to verification of a point she mentioned which I've never heard of before i.e. SOP was for senior officers in the U-boat service to evacuate boats in the event of extreme danger so as to preserve the expertise. I've read the account by Herbert Werner (Iron Coffins) but I've never heard of this before. Is there anyone much more enlightened than myself who can shed any light on this statement?

lancslad
Your best avenue would be an inquiry to a German Submariner's Association.

You may find a lead to one through: http://submariners.org/home.htm

(Heartless? Yet it does seem to be a credible, logical policy in view of the Germanic mind-set of that era)

RN? I believe that the current scheme is still one whereby the Senior Survivor (of whatever rank) in an S/M escape scenario takes control of the situation and would be the very last-man-out.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
In any situation at sea, if you are the senior man, you are responsible for those junior to you. They come first.

BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
lancslad said:

lancslad
Your best avenue would be an inquiry to a German Submariner's Association.

You may find a lead to one through: http://submariners.org/home.htm

(Heartless? Yet it does seem to be a credible, logical policy in view of the Germanic mind-set of that era)

RN? I believe that the current scheme is still one whereby the Senior Survivor (of whatever rank) in an S/M escape scenario takes control of the situation and would be the very last-man-out.
Correctomundo hence an SM qualified steward can take charge of non-qual hossifers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
janner Submariners 17
R Submariners 14
LancashireHussar Current Affairs 14