Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 45s to protect 2012 Olympics from the Thames Estuary

Klanga

Banned
Re: Type 45s to protect 2012 Olympics from the Thames Estuar

Lord Carlile, the government’s antiterrorism expert, welcomed the involvement of the Royal Navy. “[It] is very well equipped to deal with specific threats, such as that posed by terrorists using light aircraft,†he said. “Having a frigate in the Thames is an extremely good idea.â€

8) Is this system good enough to sort out low flying light planes over an area with high rise buildings and heavily built up. Together with assorted Police and other transiting helicopters, low flying traffic in and out of both City and Heathrow Airports. Not with standing cricket balls knocked out of Lords and various other East London Cricket pitches. :roll:

Nutty

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
I hate Tessa Jowell.

Just a though, if Daring or Diamond or Dauntless or which ever one was moored in London DID have to shoot down an aircraft... thats just diverted from Heathrow.... and is coming in over London towards the Stadium... over a massive population area.... isn't it already a bit late?

flymo

War Hero
IIRC, I watched a programme where people were given scenarios and had to resolve them as members of the Government. One of these scenarios was a plane, not answering to comms heading towards London. Once the team had finished discussing what to do and plumped for shooting it down they were informed that it was too late. Once it gets to a certain limit they were unable to shoot it down.

The East End would be well within the no shoot range.

Oh well

OSLO

War Hero
This after the FRS2 was not allowed to fly over London as part of the 100 years of the FAA because it only has a single engine! Imagine if you will such a hijacked plane being shot down over the Big Smoke...ruddy thing has to land somewhere!

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
I think the general idea would be that if you had the choice of letting the Hijackers crash into a maximum capacity Olympic stadium and shooting the plane out of the sky so that it crashed in a random location, the latter would almost certainly be the lesser of two evils.

Aster 30 also has a range of 120kms and it can reach that maximum range in 86 seconds, which gives the authorities quite a bit of leeway when deciding on when to engage a threat to attempt minimal collateral damage.

TimeToJoinUp said:
I think the general idea would be that if you had the choice of letting the Hijackers crash into a maximum capacity Olympic stadium and shooting the plane out of the sky so that it crashed in a random location, the latter would almost certainly be the lesser of two evils.

Aster 30 also has a range of 120kms and it can reach that maximum range in 86 seconds, which gives the authorities quite a bit of leeway when deciding on when to engage a threat to attempt minimal collateral damage.

There is no doubt that the missle Aster 30 has the range and ability to shoot down the a/c the question, but does the Combat Control System fitted have the ability to track and identify a small or medium size a/c over a built up are with the aircraft possibly flying below the level of the many high rise buildings found in the area of Greater London and to sorrt out friend from foe. As it was found in the Falklands radar designed to efficiently identify and track targets over water was found to be wanting when the a/c were over land and flying low.

Remember also the Met Pol Helicopter Base is in Epping Forest at LippetsHill and just about all their flights will transit over the Olympic site before civil flights into City and LHR plus VIP and military helo's are added to the mix. Which Warefare Officer is going to take out Sir Alan Suger as he is filming another series of "the Apprentice.

Is Samson etc up to the task?

Nutty

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger

Dauntless this, Dauntless that. This wasn't a news story, it was a commercial press release bigging up a yet-to-be-released product.

The give-away is that fecking cricket ball reference. Again.

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
Hey, Whiterose, less of that, i'll attend the games a lot happier knowing that if a cricket ball was about to hit the main stadium, they could shoot it down and potentially save lives!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
And I always thought the air defence of the UK was an RAF responsibility. During office hours, anyway.

flymo

War Hero
Seaweed said:
And I always thought the air defence of the UK was an RAF responsibility. During office hours, anyway.

Monday to Thursday - as you will only get the duty pilot on a Friday in case the airframe develops a fault and stops the boys going weekend. Just one's observations from receiving an air raid, on a Friday, from "RAF available assets" in an ADEX and only getting one plane.... I doubt if much has changed much over the recent years.

Apols for slightly off topic.

Silly season a bit early this year?

Times said:
A military official said two Tornado GR4 fighter aircraft were on permanent standby at RAF Marham near King’s Lynn in Norfolk to launch at 15 minutes’ notice.

Mud moving interceptors, eh?

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Some months ago I was walking in Westminster and was suprised to see a section of two fighter aircraft fairly low over the H of P (on a weekday).

8) So if we assume that the target a/c is a jet at 400 mph and approaches from any direction than Norfolk where he has been told a RAF FJ is on standby.The RAF take 15 minutes to get into the air and 8 minutes to cover the ground to Hackney our target has moved on 150 miles approx from time to scramble given.

So the plan is we fly a smallish jet at 400 mph from Southampton area as low as possible using Gatwick as its turning point. Not so hard if we can keep it a secret.

Still nobody on this net will grass me up except SPB and it is doubtful as a crusher he understands the plan. :p :) 8) :lol:

Nutty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
barny006 ALL 6 Type 45s Alongside The Quarterdeck 24
S Comparative size of the Type 45s The Fleet 6
P 8 Type 45s after all The Fleet 6
0 What workshop type skills do AET's learn? Joining the Royal Navy 54
MoD_RSS SACN consolation on lower carbohydrate diets for people with type 2 diabetes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Draft report on low-carb diets for adults with type-2 diabetes MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 12
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
MoD_RSS Strong but silent type of rig brings quieter roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £85M contract to boost Type-23 capabilities MoD News 0
Dusty70 “Name the last Type 26 Frigate HMS Plymouth”. Petitions 4
Wightsparker Type 26 for Canada Current Affairs 2
R Life aboard a Type 45 vs 23 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
soleil Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship" The Fleet 35
soleil Portsmouth News: "Type 45 Engine Upgrade Work Could Begin By The End Of The Year, BAE Systems Boss Says" The Fleet 0
soleil Defence Connect: "De-Risking The Type 26 Vessel, Nigel Stewart, SEA 5000 Managing Director, BAE Systems" International 0
MoD_RSS News story: Multi-million-pound contract to enhance Royal Navy Type 45 fleet resilience MoD News 11
ShipModeler Type 23 model Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
MoD_RSS Speech: First Sea Lord outlines the Royal Navy’s requirements for the Type 31e frigate MoD News 0
S Type III Uniforms History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary reveals name of first Type 26 as manufacture begins MoD News 18
Bad CO HMS BROADSWORD - First Type 22 Frigate Zippo The Fleet 1
G Type 45 Current Affairs 84
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary confirms summer start for Type 26 frigates MoD News 0
Wightsparker Order for work on Type 26 frigates? Current Affairs 3
MoD_RSS News story: £183 million deal for new gun on Type 26 Global Combat Ship sustains 43 skilled... MoD News 0
WelshJaffaCake Blood type RFA 36
B Lord West --the embarrassment or Type 45's? The Quarterdeck 2
Debenham Will the type 26's fully replace the Dukes? The Fleet 11
dapperdunn Type 45 MoD News 91
W Type 26 Global Combat Ship The Fleet 14
G Where to find out blood type? RFA 17
BillyNoMates Why type it when you can say it? Diamond Lil's 0
muskovardo Dad having type 2 diabetes - Will this affect me in my medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
F Type 26 Names. What do you fancy? The Quarterdeck 62
S Which sub type Submariners 126
K Diabetes-Type 1. Submariners 1
K Type 1 Diabetes, with 10 years done. Whats going to happen to me? Health & Fitness 5
soleil Telegraph: "Jaguar F-type Versus Wildcat Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Telegraph - Motoring: "Jaguar E-type Versus Sea King Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
ForcesJobShop Electrical Engineers, Type 23 and Type 45 experience The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
W Type 42 - End Of An Era Dinner - 03 October 2013 Social & Reunions 22
ForcesJobShop Type 23 or Type 45 Project Manager The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
tiddlyoggy TYPE 22 Reunion Social & Reunions 4
O Names of new Type 26 confirmed The Gash Barge 38
AAF F type Jaguar. Motoring 30
Seadog Navy Gay Chatline type ads Site Issues 33
MoD_RSS News story: Last Type 42 destroyer returns from final deployment MoD News 0
soleil Honest John: "Land Rover Announces Affiliation With Royal Navy Type 45 Destroyer" The Fleet 8
Rigsby What type of bang stick? Hobbies & The Great Indoors 25