Type 26 Names. What do you fancy?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by frigate23, Jan 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the naming conventions for the new ships yet, anyone heard any buzzes about what they may be called?

While we're on this topic, what would you name them? I'd personally like to see another Hood, Royal Oak, Renown, Hermes, Eagle and Courageous. Also rename one of the carriers a new Ark Royal.
  2. Finknottle
    • Like Like x 4
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the interests of OPSEC, I think the ships should not have names displayed, but painted black with a mahoosive animal face growling with teeth bared across the bows, like some 'Dark Knight' variant of a 21st Century Turbo Boghammar... :cool:
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But it'll just end up with constant gyro failure, going round and round in circles... :oops:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Joint_Force_Harrier. Please don't give our "all inclusive" politicians queer ideas.

It never seems quite right giving Capital Ship names to Frigates. I suppose the precedent was set with IRON DUKE, though.

I suppose digging out the old LEANDER names would be rather nice or maybe an A Class. Bringing back ANTELOPE and PENELOPE might be fun.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. New ship New Navy so new name to reflect the new traditions of the modern service so:
    HMS Gay Blade
    HMS Hatter
    HMS Cottage
    HMS Bandit
  7. I remember as a schoolboy, building an Airfix model of a Gay boat......I realised then that I wanted to join the Royal Navy.....was that.. 'coming out?'
  8. Not until you've been in.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ....................How about re-visiting the Type 21 names (Amazon, Antelope, Arrow, Ambuscade, Ardent, etc.)?
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Go back to the Flower class.
  11. :laughing6::laughing6: Took a couple of seconds...
  12. I don't think they're 'new traditions' slim. Just 'now legal' traditions!
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bring back the Battle names. Particularly those that will upset the Frogs.
  14. How about names that reflect popular culture.....e.g....

HMS Elton....A 'Ton' class minesweeper that likes to spend time around the buoys....extravigantly 'furnished' with a typical minesweeper's broad transom.
    HMS Kylie....A small but perfectly equipped frigate who's assets are best displayed when not dressed overall, a draft to her and you should be so lucky.
    HMS Beckham...A very agile and well proportioned guided missile destroyer with a reputation for hitting it's target with pin point accuracy.
    HMS Cheryl.....A 'utility' frigate with no specific purpose, apart from looking good.....does require a lot of maintenance...useful for training baby clankies.
    HMS Stewart....A 70's designed destroyer which needs a constant change of C.O.'s. due to the fact it does a lot of sailing.

.......any more for any more ? :thumbright:
    • Like Like x 4
  15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

HMS Facebook - for those that "like" sailing and wish to provide humanitarian aid and to save the world through sharing and liking.

Every like for this post will help save those who struggle to use the search function on this site.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Very good! :lol:
  17. :thumbright:
  18. Surely there's an opportunity here for some lateral thinking.

With the reduction in size of the RN, I think it's official policy now that new ships have more than one affiliated town/city.

So with every ship having both a port and a starboard side, why can't ships have more than one name? Shouldn't be too difficult - they could fit the maritime equivalent of the revolving number plates on Mr Bond's DB5.

Benefits would include increasing the ratio of ships to admirals, and reducing the unit costs of each ship.

Plus the confusion caused to potential unfriendly navies - remember the 1970s stories about the BBC "Warship" series where AGIs were reportedly thrown by a frigate called HMS Hero with Phoebe's pennant number?
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Go for sponsership

HMS Marks and Spencers
    HMS Tesco
    HMS Primark
    HMS Poundland etc