Type 1 Diabetes, with 10 years done. Whats going to happen to me?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by krgs85, Jan 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found out that I have diabetes, its type 1.
    Still getting my head round it all, have to take insulin 5 times a day and check my blood every two hours.
    Am hoping someone out there knows off someone else, or has personal experience of what I should expect!!!

I am a LH on Subs with 10 years done. Dr has said I should expect to go. Others have said it will be transfer to Surface Fleet. (in Logistics so no need to re-qual).

Any info on what I should expect or where I should look would be great. My DO said I need to eat healthy!!!

Thanks

KRGS85

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your circumstances. Pending a response from a qualified service health professional, I'd be inclined to ignore anecdotal opinions from unqualified individuals, myself amongst them. If the Doc said it's MBOS & out, then I'm afraid that trumps someone's dit to the contrary.

3. I recall on Invince having a CPOMEM come across from subs because of diabetes. I can't remember if that was because he had Type 1 or 2 though. I think it was 2 and if it had become 1 he'd be out but can't be 100% certain.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Thanks for the reply's. Was told by the Dr that Insulin treated is no longer a Straight out but reviewed case by case. He said there are type 1 in but they are in high skill billets his example was off other Dr's.
    I'm a LLOGS CS, I know we are really short in the branch but then what branch is not!!

Looks like a medical Discharge. Have accepted that (well think I have)! Does anyone know how the medical Pension is worked out? I'm on the 75 pension

Thanks

KRGS85

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's probably worth adding the caveat for those with this condition yet to join, reading this thread, the medical standards for entry probably differ from those already serving.