TXTSPK

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Oberkohlebunkenfuhrer, Apr 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ne1 unnerstn this crp? Soz 4 ne bad spling m8s.

2. Reading it makes my eyes bleed; deciphering it makes my brain ache. Enough already! [​IMG]

3. if my beloved daughter sent me a text that I cant understand I send her a message back that says "plse repeat your last but use plain english and not some code" It seemed to work as all I get now are words spelt out in full and are easy to read

4. ex_wasp_L2, it works the other way with me: my mid-50s mother has embraced txtspk (though in her defence only for texting) so I'm usually to be found speaking the message out loud so that I can grasp the phonetics! :oops:

5. yep dozy I have been there and done that it dont half make you look an idiot (or it does me) when the penny drops and you finally understand what it means. just talking in the office and one of the guys said it took him ages to work out m8 like me he figured it was a motorway but then again in this office at 46 Im the youngest

6. On a similar note:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs psotnig. In fcat, I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg wehn I frist was snet tihs in an eamil.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe Amzanig huh? I awlyas was tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

7. Wot I have problems with is why the fcuk text when you can talk, is that not what a mobile phone can do?

Nutty

8. Mainly the use of Textspeak is because half the barst*rds can spell to start with

9. People sending the text message 'LOL' every five minutes. That and the bloody word 'bless'. Aaaaaggggghhhhhhhh....it make me :pukel:

10. Personally I think it's an invention of today’s generation to ensure they aren't caught out because they haven't a clue how to spell properly. Ingenious though!!

SF

11. LOL Bless....you should have seen that coming...oh you did ..I'll get me coat. :blush:
    NZB

12. It's cheaper to text than to actually call, usually. I have one but hate it and don't text at all. Billy No Mates :cry: :cry:
    NZB

13. Can't stand text speak, my grammar ain't the best but hate text talk, If i get a message that has too much on i either ignore it if i cant understand or text back and ask for it in English.

I mean yea you get limited space in a text but if you only need to use a few words use full English, if wont fit in a 1 text either extend it too two or ring, simple enough. :D

14. Likewise, text speak drives me insane. As a backlash I tried full grammer and correct spelling and punctuation in all my replies - just to make the point, but it took too long because I couldn't work the buttons!. Now I just don't reply - people soon get the message. In the words of Bob Hoskins 'its good to talk'.

15. got a worse on than those Selly - used to have some Pagan friends and though nice they use this thing that I don't even want to type because it makes me feel so sick ...

wait for it ...

here goes ...

"bright blessings"

I'm not normally (meaning usually, not abnormal before anyone asks) violent but I'd really like to be when I hear/see that written.

:whax:

:whdat:

16. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is this an example of txt or English? I'm confused.....

17. Personally I hate people using txtspk in emails or chatrooms etc but I can see the point when texting. Bearing in mind most mobiles allow around 90 characters per message so if you go over that you are paying for another message on top. Sounds tight but there you go. Also is sometimes better than ringing someone when you think they might be busy but want to send a message that they can get to when free.

18. Perhaps we should text the kids back in morse,that would fox them.

19. If only I could remember my morse.

20. Remember that although most texts are received within seconds of being sent, it can take up to twenty four hours to receive a text.