Two women to control Portsmouth shipping

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by plymwebed, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Two women have been appinted to control shipping movements in Portsmouth

thisisplymouth

2. Oh pants, I read it as Portsmouth Shopping!

Dullsville!

3. The same principal applies "Get out of my way, I'm coming through!!"

P>S> I hope you are feeling better Rosina :thumright:

4. So if we park the blue one with the big funnel thingys next to the red one with flappy saily bits, wont it be a bit of a colour clash?? And those grey ones look really drab, cant we accesorise them a bit and brighten them up,
    do you think that supertanker makes my bum look big? Where has that liitle orange one got too again, I just can't find my binoculars in this handbag....I should have brought the patent leather one with the extra long strap and make-up compartment........................................................................................................................... :salut: :salut:

5. oh smiffy you are a bloke after my own heart!

And thank you Gombear, I am indeed feeling better, but as I cannot leave the house to shop then I am reduced to trawling tinterweb for want of something better to do.

6. :lol:

Having women in-charge will ensure (at least theoretically) that sailing vessels get priority over motor vessels.... :w00t: ...except, er, oil tankers! :oops: Will they interpret the rules of the road to the letter or be flexible (pragmatic) in their interpretation, that's what I'd like to know.

7. As long as they know their 'Port and Starboard' better than their 'Left and Right' it should be OK. Perhaps!

8. Must be a quiet news day in Pompey ffs! So bloody what? Wow, a female can talk on a radio .... jesus, they are flying combat aircraft in afghanistan and commanding ships at sea.

Me? Angry? nah :threaten:

9. Bloody hell!!

10. No problem at all, as they are often exceedingly proficient where desk jobs are concerned.

11. Well it's a fair point, women get job is harldy that newsworthy, even as a human interest piece. Of course one has to question the Naval Base media people for actually promoting it.

12. As my missus said the other day when I was cleaning and painting outside the house and I would not let her help, and climb a ladder, "you don't need a penis to climb a ladder"

13. Ex Navy, aged 22 such a wealth of experience.

14. Almost makes you happy not to be returning to Pompey.

SM

:nemo:

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thats true, but if you have one and coil it around a rung it helps to stop you falling off. :dwarf:

16. Usual predictable reply from fn. Dont see why its such a big deal, mi5 have had four female director generals LOL.

17. Apologies Karma, I didn’t intend to sound dismissive.

Your right it is a fair point. I was just feigning shock, horror at the news (to me) that women are commanding warships.

I know, of course, the chief engineering officer on the “Lusty†is a female Lt. Commander. Very impressive I thought, but I wouldn’t like to cop a right hander from her.

However I didn’t realise that we already have women commanding ships.
    I was wondering what ships they might be. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject? :bball:

18. I know, of course, the chief engineering officer on the “Lusty†is a female Lt. Commander. Very impressive I thought, but I wouldn’t like to cop a right hander from her.

However I didn’t realise that we already have women commanding ships.
    I was wondering what ships they might be. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject?

The Lt. Commander is the 'Senior engineer' she works for the Commander ME, who is the Chief Enginnering Officer (ME) on the 'Lusty'. a bit of television artistic direction there my friend.
    A few of the P2000 Patrol boats have had a Female officer has the commanding officer, not sure if any of the Mine sweepers/Hunters or the Survey Launch Gleaner has yet though. dare say if not its only a matter of time, after all young officers are only there to stay alive or in long enough to become useful!!!!!!!!!

19. *QHM PORTSMOUTH*

“OOooooohh look – there’s a sale on at Matalans.....Wonder if the Captain of that warship that’s about to smash into the
    Gosport Ferry is married??......God! I’m bursting for a wee!!....Now – where’s my *Take-a-Break??....â€

[​IMG]

......It's called Multi-Tasking.

20. Lt Cdr Charlotte 'Charlie' Atkinson (BBC interview) was the last CO of the Hunt Class minehunter HMS Brecon before the ship paid off in July 2005 as a victim of defence cuts. In February 2008, Brecon became a training ship at HMS Raleigh.