Two Stone in 6-8 weeks?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gaz85, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys,
    Recently had another medical, didnt pass due to weight, which is fair enough.
    My doctor has set me a two stone weight loss doctor, which he and my careers advisor believe I can lose in around about 6-8 weeks.

Anyone think its realistic? or got any good tips? At the moment Ive been using my cross trainer and out on the streets running( as well as eating right ) is that enough or should i be mixing it up with something else?

Greatly appreciate any help/advice, please try refrain if you have the need to post sarcastic/uselss posts! lol
    Many Thanks
  2. Exert yourself enough and you will manage it.
    I lost half a stone in 2 weeks at Raleigh (on entry I was 10 and a half stone and 6', by no means overweight) just by a lot of running about (and not eating a lot). So at that same rate you could lose 2 stone in 8 weeks.
    It's just a matter of pushing yourself. Good luck :)
  3. thats seems like a doable target, I'm also losing some weight myself I'm 16St at the moment so need to lose abit, swimming is great if you can get to a pool. good luck mate hope you achive your goal :thumright:
  4. 2 to 3 pounds a week over 8 weeks is 'do-able', but it's hard work. There would be no weekends binge drinking or pie eating - but it can be done. The first stone is usually fairly easy - the second is a pain.

I seriously doubt you need someone to say eat less and do more excercise.

Watch 'Full Metal Jacket' and Private Pile for inspiration.

Good luck.
  5. Avoid beer.

And if you end up on the piss, no kebabs on the way home!
  6. No beer!!! When buying food in packets look at the saturated fat content that is the killer! No Indian takeaways or curry at all.

If you really want to lose weight go veggie for a while meat takes a long time to go through the system. Try making a stir fry with Quorn or a chilli with vegi mince. I lost two stone in a very short time. We sell real Guinness over here matey hence the extra weight!

Beer and saturated fats is the killer though, stay out of the frying pan.. And keep us updated on your progress.
  7. Eating right will not be enough, you will need to reduce your calorie intake to considerably less than you burn per day to lose 2 stone in 6 weeks. Most doctors will recommend trying for just over 1/2 a stone in a month (ie 2 pounds a week). Exercise contrary to the usual advise while helping weight loss in not the major aspect. An hour on the treadmill will barely burn enough calories to compensate for that bar of chocolate for example. The health benefits from exercise really come from aspects other than weight loss. Yes 2 stone in 6 weeks is do able, but it will hurt. I would tend to question the advice of a doctor who would tell you to do this however as rapid weight loss almost always is followed by rapid weight regain, ie you may appear light and fit to pass the medical, but in reality within a month you will be as heavy as ever again, so he may as well have passed you first time around.

As for the person who lost 6 pounds at Ralleigh, I am not surprised, the food there is disgusting.
  8. Cut out bread, beer, fried foods, high levels of saturated fat. Don't eat too much in terms of pasta or potatoes. No chocolate/cake/sweets. Eat plenty of fruit and veg to compensate for any foods you're cutting. Stay active. Try not to sleep any more than 7 hours a night.
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

It's very do-able. All good advice on here, but I'm not sure about the restricting sleep to 7 hours. A good night's sleep is essential to any training regime. Obviously don't take the p*** and stay in your pit all day, but early nights are a good thing. Maintain your discipline (this is the hardest part) and it is achievable. Harder still is keeping the same discipline once the weight's off. Finally, one key point to remember; as you build muscle mass your body will burn more calories throughout the day.
  10. I'll break down roughly how much I burn going to the gym and the time periods concerned.

Treadmill ~ 10.5kph over 15 minutes will roughly burn around 300 calories
    Crosstrainer ~ Hill/Random Mode (Intensity level 10) for 15minutes will roughly burn around 300-400 calories
    Stepper ~ Intensity Level 4 for around 10 minutes is around 200 calories

So for 45 minutes workout your looking just shy of 1000 calories. This also depends on how hard you push yourself.
    I think the key here is "What you put in, you get out of it"
    A good breakfast is always handy aswell, something like porridge with some jam or a banana chopped in it does wonders for your glycogen levels

Good luck though!
  11. A dose of Giardia lamblia will do it, for sure.
  12. Hello i am a qualified personnel trainer ,just been reading about your problem it is certainly possible to lose that ammount of weight in that time frame but it will require some serious work .Its not just about going running you should incorporate a weight training programme in your training regime say 3 times per week.Alot of people underestimate weight training it will stimulate your metabolism ie making it quicker which in turn helps you burn fat off quicker,the higher your bodies muscle content the quicker your metabolism is .Once you reach your goal keep at the exercise regime its all about lifestyle exercise and sensible eating.

all the best :thumright:
  13. From a female POV, if you find yourself craving something in particular try to replace it with something else. For example, I love bread and replaced it with dried fruit - eventually I just stopped snacking. It sounds obvious, but I lost 10ibs in a week just by cutting out my "vice" and doing some basic light exercise. Sit-ups are good for losing weight around your tummy.
  14. You say situps are good for losing weight around the abdomen ,this is a fallicy you cannot target one part of your body in the hope of losing weight from it ,weight loss occurs from all over the body during an exercise regime .
  15. Make sure you have breakfast to get your system up and running each day.
    Good luck slim!
  16. True.

Also, doing situps wont burn much fat, i forget the muscle type but its very similar to the type of mucles in your calfs (been a while since i did my Premier and Reps training). You have to do thousands, yes, thousands of situps if your intention is to use it as a method to lose weight.

If you want to see those abs, just shed bodyfat by doing cardio.
  17. Thanks for all the advice guys!!!
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

AaronP: What Premiership team did you play for?! :shock:
  19. It is a very unreasonable target IMO.

It is very do-able but it won't be healthy and you'll lose strength/muscle mass which will hinder your ability to keep weight down long-term.

It is effectively a 12kg drop in weight, which is a lot, at 6 weeks it 2kg a week. It is physiologically impossible to drop 2kg of fat in this timescale. This is a fact. You can drop a combination of muscle, water, fat and glycogen, to the tune of 2kg a week, consistantly? Very, very difficult and your performance and recovery will be massively compromised.

In my opinion, you can't do it effectivily and with all the will in the world you probably won't manage it anyway. Go back to whoever has given you this timescale and tell them to double it.
  20. Most of the advice above it pretty terrible, but this is rather odd? I can't understand the logic behind sleep restriction!?