Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the forum

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by D.Brown, Dec 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Very tempted to join but got a couple of questions first.

Just wondering, which of the three careers would enable you to sail the most:

Aircraft Engineering Technician
    Naval Airman (Aircraft Handler)
    Engineering Technician (Marine Engineer)

I'm interested in all three but would like choose the one which gives you the biggest opportunity to sail.

Secondly, what does the Royal Navy count as an acceptable level of debt? I have roughly £5,000 left to pay on a personal loan with about 3 years left to go. I've never missed a payment and completely in control of it.

All answers would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

2. Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

The best chance of going to sea from that list is as a Marine engineer (stoker)

If reference to the debt, check with your local office, as I don't have a scooby.

:thumright:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

Hello & welcome to the forum,

You are indeed, as indicated, likely to have more sea time as a ET(ME), unless you get drafted to an aircraft carrier or assault ship as the seagoing air support group, rather than drafted directly to a squadron (who are only usually embarked when the aircraft are also going to be based on board).

Air Engineering Technician requires one of the highest recruiting test scores & is one of the hardest technical training courses to pass (3 to 4 months wait to join). Marine Engineering requires a lesser score, but is still a fairly good transferable trade when you leave (10-12 months wait to join). Aircraft Handler requires a lesser score & involves limited technical training, but is still transferable to the civilian work-place. (In excess f 18 months wait to join).

Debt-wise your monthly outgoings need to be less than 50% of your net income. Your net income is around £600 per month initially.

Hope that helps & good luck.

4. Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

Thanks for that. Definitely helps. I had no idea that the waiting lists were so long. Do the outgoings include rent? If I applied I'd be moving all my belongings back to my Mum's and wouldn't be paying rent any more. Would that take this account and not include it in from my potential outgoings?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

Gross pay is as indicated, your regular outgoings when you join must be less than around £300 per month. If you will no longer be paying Rent/Housekeeping when you join, then it is not considered an outgoing, however if you are renting a house & have signed a contract, then you will be legally obliged to continue paying rent for the duration of the contract you have signed & it is counted as part of your outgoings.

6. Buster
    Stokers do more sea time than the rest put together!

PS £5000 debt !!you will need another £5000 a year
    just to pay your mess bill.

7. Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

Go for ET(MESM), not too much of a waiting list and a brilliant job.

8. Re: Two questions! Can't find answers elsewhere on the foru

MEs are definately the best bar Managers in the Mob,may they long serve the fleet ,god can turn water in to wine a Pomem Bar Manager can turn two pints in to as many as you like