Two questions about 1982 Conx War Patrol

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Marcantilan, Jul 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

My first post here.

Maybe someone could help me with two questions I have since long time ago.

The first one:
    [​IMG]
    (Pic from Burden et al "Falklands The Air War")

Here´s Humphrey, HMS Antrim´s flight Wessex. What about the two submariners rescue? They were from the Conx?????

The second one (no picture here):
    Some sources (Gavshon & Rice on "Sinking of the Belgrano", for example) claimed that Conx, days after the Belgrano sinking, saw a Neptune airplane and thinking a Mk.44 torpedo was dropped, went deep fast. Anyone know more details about that episode?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Marcantilan

2. I know more but I'm not telling you - if it's not been published publicly it's covered by the 30+ year rule.

3. Read the book about LT/CDR Ian Stanley DSO RN Antrims Wessex 3 pilot 406, Being at the top end :oops: of his all ,,,up weight with 17 Bootys and Kit, Pm Waspie he was an Aircrewman in 82, and will recall the book, and all the details :wink: :wink: my aircrewmans days were many moons before me :lol: :lol:

4. I must assume that Gavshon & Rice got somehow a copy of the Conx CO "Report of Proceedings short version" (I don´t know the proper name of it) for their book.

[​IMG]

So they mentioned the Neptune encounter, the Mk.44 dropped and that all happened days after the Belgrano sinking, inside the TEZ.

Did Rossiter, in his newer book (Sink the Belgrano!, already discussed in this forum) detailed the encounter (or at least when / where - I learned the book has some maps) or any other with argentine aircraft?

Notafour, so you were there...congrats! Could I ask if Conx had a camera attached to her periscope. Did fancy and classified pictures of the campaign exist?

Scouse, thanks a lot, remember the name of the book?

Regards,

5. I know a lad who was on Conx,will ask him,when I say lad he is in his 50s now!

6. As Maggie said to Denis at the time..'Throw another log on the fire'... :D :D

7. The only book I am familiar with regards the taking of South Georgia, (Op Paraquat), is Bomb Alley by David Yates.

Whilst I was a crewie in 82 I didn't get to go South. 819 had it's own problems in the Clyde right then!! A few Ruskie subs and a change of AGI. (Okean to Primorie)

8. The three books i have read on the subject were 1 Sink the Belgrano by Rossiter ( he does mention the encounter by what he believed to be a Neptune IIRC ) and 2 The Falklands War" a day by day account " by Marshall Cavendish and 3 Special Forces pilot by Hutchings. Hope that helps!!!

9. Not long to wait now then.

10. Thanks a lot scouse,

Any of those books provides details about the Neptune encounter (when, where, etc?) Thanks a lot!

11. So you were dealing with Mr. Victor then...

[​IMG]

12. :lol: Or Charlie, they never did find out!!!!! I think they threw in a few conventional boats too for fun. Seven in total if memory serves me well.

A lot of pinging and a lot of barrier work. :evil:

13. Yes Rossiter does in sink the Belgrano, IIRC, the Neptune ?? and the homing torpedo drop?? ( and the dive an wait!!!!!! ) I Quote from his book, and not my own words, before any sundodgers try and bollock me :cry: Ps Also about the order to Fire!!!! or not!!! and the Log Book saga!!!

14. Whilst I was a crewie in 82 I didn't get to go South. 819 had it's own problems in the Clyde right then!! A few Ruskie subs and a change of AGI. (Okean to Primorie)[/quote]

So you were dealing with Mr. Victor then...
    :lol: Or Charlie, they never did find out!!!!! I think they threw in a few conventional boats too for fun. Seven in total if memory serves me well.

Op Larder made to piss the boys off on a friday morning just before going weekend - happy days

15. Thanks, I already ordered the book. But, if someone who have Rossiter´s book could transcript the homing torpedo part and / or scan the maps, I will be eternally pleased (Thanks again)

16. So you were dealing with Mr. Victor then...
    :lol: Or Charlie, they never did find out!!!!! I think they threw in a few conventional boats too for fun. Seven in total if memory serves me well.

Op Larder made to piss the boys off on a friday morning just before going weekend - happy days[/quote]

Op Larder was something totally different mate.

Recovery of soviet sonar buoys dropped from their big fixed wing. Some of which were booby trapped and quite nasty. But that was the divers from Faslanes problem not ours!!!!!!!!

17. Has someone weeded links from the thread?

Standfast my cross-connex Vv was open.....now isolated...Steam on