Two military personnel die in the heat on Brecon Beacons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Jul 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad news that 2 servicemen have died whilst on exercise on the Brecon Beacons.

RIP to them and condolences to their families and friends

Brecon Beacons Military Deaths In Heatwave
    (Source: Sky News web site)
  2. Tragic news indeed.
  3. Agree with all previous but let's hope that it's not leading to another popular demand for all training to be totally safe.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. They were TA's according to this mornings news, not that that makes any difference.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Training shouldn't be canceled. Training teams need to earn their pay and adapt and amend to the conditions.

It aint rocket science.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I wonder whether CTC will amend the PRMC accordingly, in light of this tragic turn of events.

Whenever the weather is inclement, be it at the extremes of hot, cold or wet, the outdoor pass/fail parameters remain unchanged but the numbers failing selection increase dramatically. Last week was an example of this occurrence & doubtless Ofsted will be interested when it comes to reviewing selection procedures.
  7. Commiserations to their families, these men T.A. or not where attempting to join the worlds most elite force. This force must be able to fight in ALL conditions so training MUST take place in ALL conditions.
    I'm sure that the two guys knew this and were putting everything that they could into achieving the end result.
    Unfortunately they were in this case very unlucky, I bet everyone who knows them realise what special people these men were and wanted to be.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Please tell me that was a joke.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Nope. Oftsted now scrutinise and assess our selection procedures.

It's partly following Deepcut & partly to do with the fact we receive funding from the Learning Skills Council and as such, they are entitled to scrutinise our selection & training procedures. Ofsted | Ofsted and the Armed Forces

Our selection interviews have just changed to "competency based", so it'll be interesting what they make of that too.

More here: Ofsted | Welfare and duty of care in Armed Forces initial training 2011
  10. It was SAS selection and there's a reason why they do a summer and winter selection. The kind of person that has the mindset to join UKSF isn't likely to be someone that will Jack it in because the conditions are too harsh. Sadly for these two men the weather that day was ridiculously hot and they ultimately paid with their lives. I just hope the do gooders realise that these men were trying to join an elite fighting unit that requires them to be tested in extreme environments, and for good reason

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  11. I have yet to read anywhere officially that the deaths were brought about by the hot weather. Plenty of speculation and theorising certainly but no absolute facts. We are often told not to comment on courtroom trials before a conviction or acquittal so perhaps it would be best to hold on until after the coroner's report.
  12. Ninja_Stoker, thanks for explaining that. I can see the point (I think) in them having a long screwdriver (I hate that modern modspeak expression, incidentally) in boy/girl entrants selection but I do hope that they haven't got a wiggly spanner in the selection of grown warfighters (another bloody awful bit of modspeak) for training to higher things.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I think you echo the sentiments of most of us.

I think they have a 'butchers' at professional qualifying courses, but would be surprised if they were allowed anywhere near SF selection (unless an Ofsted Inspector happened to be undertaking selection as a Reservist).

The thing is that sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees so independent reviews should be welcomed. Many often question who audits the auditors with a critical eye? (FOST being a primary example). A little while back someone had a critical look at phase two training only to reveal the "proud boast" of certain branches with a high failure rate was more an indication of the piss-poor quality of training rather than the ability of the trainees.

I'd not be so bold as to suggest SF selection needs changing but if there is more than one casualty from the same cause, then perhaps collective responsibility for the course needs looking at. The pace of Reserve selection is, I understand, about 1Km/hr less than regular service selection, whether this applies to the different tasking requirements or different expected overall fitness levels, I've no idea - but it does seem outwardly odd to have two tier selection parameters.