TV Series- Warship CH5 Monday 21:00hrs

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by dixie_gooner, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its back, this time a new series which was filmed during Taurus 09.

Lots of Bulwark, some Ocean and a handful of Somerset.

Hopefully not as cringing as the last series
  2. just seen the advert and looks good to watch
  3. [​IMG]

The Granada TV film crew cover the arrival of HMS Ocean in Singapore. Picture: LA(Phot) Bernie Henesy, HMS Ocean
  4. Argghh....

WTF can't these numpts sort out their fcuking silks...!!!
  5. Give it a rest..
  6. Because, as anyone who has done a few prod A's knows, he has probably been stood up there for 2 hours with the wind blowing his blue collar all over the place. Leaving it, and his silk in a less than perfect position.

So for god's sake turn it in.

Incidentally, the film crew are cocks who haven't a clue, nor are particularly bothered about the Armed Forces. It's no wonder that this and Warzone are truly shocking programmes, deliberately focusing on retards, loafing gets or thick slags to provide amusement for their target demographic. Channel 5 watching chavmongs.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer have you set it up on your Sky+?! :wink:
  8. Oh it will be, believe me!!
    Why do they do it it just makes the RN look as though its being manned by muppetts!
  9. Well thats answered that succinctly then. I guess you'll be watching??
  10. Of course. I feel like I'm on benefits at the moment!
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Minesweepers are... 8) :wink:
  12. I'm actually very surprised that there is a second series, after what I thought was a PR disaster for the Royal Navy in the first series. In comparison to the recruiting success of "Commando: On the Front Line," I wonder just how many people saw this programme and thought that the Royal Navy was the career for them.

At a time when what little Armed Forces News there is focuses on Afghanistan, here in Series 1 we had a programme focusing on the love antics of Ship's Coy, more than their hard work, hardly shows the service in a professional light. Especially as at the time, the Royal Navy was still in the PR fall out from the Iran hostage fiasco, and needed to show that it was not manned by iPod flaunting Mr Beans.
  13. See my previous post. These Granada clowns aren't bothered about that, they just want to get a drama out of it. And as far as the RN is concerned, we don't have the greatest PR record, imo whoever the head of PR in the mob is needs seriously looking at.

Warship / Warzone. Abominations that the Forces shouldn't have allowed to air.
  14. Sorry Monti, I made the stupid mistake of assuming the guy had some CDF to trim & sew his 'easy velcro fit' silk to the correct length.

Damn wind spoiling it for him *tch*
  15. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Not true. They were great bunch of people who really got stuck in. Two of them have combat experience from filming in Afgan and one was a wildlife cameraman who when he found out he was going in the jungle with Royal for weeks was as happy as.....

It was interesting to talk to them and get their view on the military. They were very pro and were very interested in all we did. It was things that we think are dull that they found the most amazing and so the programme tends to reflect it. Yes Five needs to produce a certain kind of programme to get the viewers (previous Warship was one of their top shows) but people enjoyed it otherwise they wouldn't commission another.

But hey what do I know I only spent 4 months living with them.....

The previous show had its problems yes but it got the Navy in the publics mind when at the moment is mostly Army. Five is very sensitive to getting it wrong and upsetting the military - they need us as much as we need them. They can make relatively cheap programmes, interesting and with real stories that sell well. Why upset the apple cart with a hatchet job.

And if the piece to camera from me gets in I would like to apologies to all my RAF friends - it was a joke and in no way implies that I think any less of you for wear light blue.
  16. They have changed their attitude since Afghanstan then, as that's where I spent some time with them and all they were interested in was scandal.
  17. Never seen that series, but all I can say is that the cameraman looks like a complete dick

18. Hope you are right Guns, we shall see.
  19. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Oh I am sure that many will complain and the Editors will have their slant but then as I said early polling of the last series saw the Five audience having a favorable impression of the RN.

It is was strange talking to the Granada team about perception and what makes us look good in front of the General Public. They want a story to hook them in, to feel that they connect with us. So when the young lass is conducting the biggest Dear John via national TV people feel attached to her, they feel for her and the distance etc. Show's a human side. We think it is pants and she should zip up her man suit but hay we are not the public.......

Also this series has more to view, their is WAFUs, Ships, foreign navies, the Cocktail Party and RM ashore eating slugs. Something for everyone. Of course some will have a negative viewpoint straight from the off but hopefully it will turn out OK. Or not.

Of course if it is shite I stand by for flak..........