TV series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - Mondays - 2200

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick reminder for anyone who has access to the National Geographic Channel that the new series "Ice Patrol" begins tonight; the four episodes were filmed in 2008; the last episode, "Disaster at Cape Horn", which will be shown in four weeks' time, covers the flooding.

Tonight's episode is "Return to the Ice".

2. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

here y'go.

http://www.natgeochannel.co.uk/programmes/ice-patrol

Next Showing: Monday 3 August at 10pm

Repeats: Tuesday 4 August at 1am & Tuesday 4 August at 3pm

Same schedule for the next 3 episodes too (Mondays).

3. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Thank you, Andrew - I forgot to add the link!

4. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

No probs Soleil, thanks for the heads up / reminder, I totally forgot this was on!

5. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

bump

6. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Just watched it, its a good insight, for me it brought back some very good memories as i served on there as the RM detachment a few years back and quite surprised i reconised a few faces.

7. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

that was a fairly good programme looks nuts when the ship is breaking through the ice. seems like a fairly dangerous job...espicially when the keep having engine problems

8. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

You wouldn't even comprehend it, Joe. Both the icebreaking stuff and the fun and games keeping it going.

levers

9. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

All very diplomatic....

Was I the only one who wnated to strangle the skipper in the first 10 mins...............Or the only one who almost feinted at the sight of a certain swamp frog on board.....

10. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

What I always enjoyed was the sense of impending doom you got even in open water.

Imagine what happens when you take all way off on a single screw vessel that's slab sided up to about 65 feet, and then factor in a mobex. Then ask yourself if you'd rather be the chap in the water, or the OOW on the bridge watching through his fingers and praying that the helm will actually transfer to the bridge wing console when you flick the switch...

11. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Not in the same league but i was on the Jersey (OPV) and this was a top heavy, single screw,no bowthruster,please dont break down, pig of a ship,it was fun and games every time we would come along side and the wind was blowing from abaft the beam, :lol: 8)

12. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

I remember when i was on it, we struck an iceburg, had to go to the nearest dry dock which was Argentina, so had a week there all paid for by the Navy including a smart looking very upmarket hotel.

13. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Did you shag some of them Argy beutys, :D

14. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Of course, it would be wrong not to,i must admit the women are stunning.

15. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

I thought it had a bit of a 'whale wars' feel to the show (impending doom as someone else mentioned) minus the severe incompetence.. also it wasn't embarassing to watch unlike that channel 5 'Warship' series. Not too shabby. Will be tuning in next week for sure.

16. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Saw it and liked it,great views but I never saw many good runs ashore! where are all the pubs and bag shanty's?

17. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Found it quite interesting, but it must be a nightmare to operate and maintain so far from any form of Naval base. One thing though - both COs were Sundodgers: with the ever reducing number of Command billets, are there many submariners as COs of surface ships these days ? There were in the late 70s, but more surface ships then.

18. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Respect to that man, :D 8)

19. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Just one week in an Argentina?

Ha! We had SIX!

*lights cigar, rolled on the thigh of dusky Argentine beauty*

levers

20. Re: New series "Ice Patrol": HMS Endurance - starts tonight

Capt Pritchard failed Perisher, and subsequently re-catted skimmer. He drove KENT and ARGYLL, was awarded an OBE for his efforts (especially the latter) and is off somewhere else punchy in the Autumn. A man to look out for, and an absolute pleasure to work for.