TV heads up for this week

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 2badge_mango, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Several contributors to RR have periodically expressed an interest in the following programmes, all of which are being repeated this week.

DUNKIRK - (excellent B/W film) 1405-1635 Saturday Chan 5

The VC: for Valour - (Clarkson) 2000-2100 Saturday BBC 2

FOYLES WAR - (1st episode) 1600-1800 Monday ITV 1

All well worth a watch or video/DVD.

2. Not to forget 'Sea of Fire', BBC2, 2100 tonight.
    Thanks 2BM. x
  3. Sea of Fire.
    Should be an interesting programe,how can a modern (1982) missile armed warship be taken out (sunk) by three obsolete(1950s) Skyhawk aircraft?
    We may the wiser after seeing this film, hope the admirals are watching, they jolly well should be.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I can give you a tried & tested way of achieving this albeit with an older Leander class ship.

Follow my ships' lead- the Commanding Officer orders "Check fire" on an incoming raid assuring all that they are SHARs, despite the gunners yelling/screaming: "They're Argies" repeatedly over the command loop as they acquired visual with the six A5's.

Then re-issue over the command loop: "I repeat, check, check, check".

Wait for the explosions & then order "Open Fire!" as the generators trip and two people die. Worked every time for us. How do I know as a Stoker? I was sat outside the Exocet power room listening to the command loop, less than 16 feet from where the fwd bomb came inboard.

Oh, and your CO gets a DSO for it.
  5. huffnut_cringe - I'm guessing that the ship won't be trying to out maneouvre or fire back due to extreme manpower shortages ... or have they found willing volunteers for this one?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Sea of Fire.

Have to say I thought, for a TV dramatisation, that this was well presented.

Poignant, and good to see a few familiar faces on the telly. For once it seemed accurate and not over-dramatized.

Blummin' well done BBC - and it isn't often I say that!
  7. It was good but not as good as the book it was based on. It wasn't entirely 'Jack Proof' either. Some of it was filmed on HMS Havoc. some on a Type 23, one chap was wearing on OM's badge, the life jackets were stamped 'HMS Raleigh Seamanship School', Kevlar helmets, post 1980's no 8's. Modern hair cuts. they only had to go down to 'Boggy nights' and buy loads of period correct kit.

The accounts by the ship's company were very moving though.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, the shots of a T23, Havoc, OM's, gold shoulder badges, No4's, Type 42 door vents, Mk8 Lynx etc., were largely irrelevant & only purists would notice- there was little contemporary footage to use.

As you say the personal accounts were good & that's what carried it.
  9. I found myself shouting at the telly for the actors to put their anti flash on correctly. Its like all films and TV when actors playing servicemen always wear a beret like a Yorkshire Pudding!

Its an ex-gunner thing, I also tell civvies to get a haircut.
  10. Ahhh AVOL, if it was completely 'Jack Proof' then no doubt it would have been made as an instructional video for the RN? This dramatization was made for the general civvie public, to document what happened. I am with Ninja on this one. I thought it was poignant and moving account of an event which defined the horror of what the Falkland War was. I appreciated the bits of humour as well, 'fcuk me, they had cigarettes in the ration packs'.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Sadly, they are no more. The tabs. Apparently the humour still exists.
  12. RN training videos 'Great', Yeah I understand what you are saying. I think I just wanted to recapture a part of the RN I remember. I joined up not long after the Falklands and served with many veterans. Gunners from the Glamorgan were drafted on to the Ariadne, my first ship. They used to shout the turret orders to each other in their sleep. Its hard for civvies to reinact what they don't know about.
  14. Didn't see the show, but attended the skippers talk at the Imperial War Museum (North). Very sobering.

Also just read "Four weeks in May", humour wise:

".....the sailor on lookout duty on the starboard bridge wing was heard to shout, 'Mirage!' as he pointed frantically at the attacking aircraft. Without a pause, a quiet voice was heard to respond from inside the bridge, "Looks fuc*ing real to me, mate"

"Later, in a life-raft and in clear sight of the sinking ship, a rating turned to an officer and asked, 'Are rounds tonight cancelled, sir?'"

Also liked the one from "Ordeal by exocet" (HMS Glamorgan): As HMS Hermes sailed off south, the Glamorgan had a few banners wishing them well, one of which included "Don't go near South Georgia - the scrap merchants are still there!"
  15. I really miss Jack humour.

Portland, BOST night anchoring exercise, HMS Cumberland

Chief Bosun's Mate (shouting into the wind from the bridge wing) 'Strike the Jack staff'

Myself (runs up to Jack staff, takes a swipe at it and shouts) 'naughty Jack Staff'!

Large leading Seaman Spec (enter stage right, swift kidney punch to yours truly)

Myself (falls to the deck crying and laughing simultaniously). It was worth it!
  16. Ninja_Stoker

:thumright: As an ex FOST-ie I'd have to agree, but truth is, at that time we'd forgotten that lesson from WWII. Even Captain Hart-Dyke suffered the typical "nose-bag down" facial burns together with loads of others on other ships. We honestly knew no better.

Post Falklands, we got a bit more stroppy about that & lots of things began to be re-addressed.
  17. Yeah I think thats what happened, I joined up just after the war and everyone was shouting at us to put our nose bag up, don't wear the old style 8's, etc but every time we did a thursday war we practiced with the ships close up to land, no chance for the upper decks crews to aquire their targets. I realised why when I went down to the Falklands and San Carlos Bay. In my eleven years service we must of practiced a Falkland Island war scenario hundreds of times. Remember Purple Warrior?
  18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Let's remember that no HM Ship had been attacked by an aircraft since 1956 (when HMS Crane was bounced by Israeli jets) and even then there was no damage inboard.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

It would be rather interesting to hear other peoples facts & opinions, on that particular conflict:

Was Glasgow so badly damaged that it needed to return to UK?

Did Glamorgan knowingly take a short-cut through a known shore-based exocet firing arc after completing NGS when it got hit?

Who made the decision for Sir Galahad not to land it's embarked troops when it was able?

Did Coventry cross & stop Broadswords firing-arcs when it was hit?

The list goes on....

(Edited to delete expletives)
  20. "Did Coventry cross & stop Broadswords firing-arcs when it was hit?"

Yup - I am sure that I was told this when on the Broadsword 86-88. If my old memory serves me right I think I recall seeing the video from one of the 910s and seeing the Coventry sail into view