Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning down a course

This question is probably better answered by a writer but i will throw it out to the crowd, i have been advised unofficially that anyone has the right to refuse promotion and or a course, this is apparently in BR3.
I have found a passage alluding to turning down a promotion but can find nothing anywhere that entitles me to turn down a course, I am certainly not starting a mutiny but have genuine reasons for not wanting to attend a course which will ultimately lead me down a route i do not wish to be lead. I am a serving submariner CPO who could do with a "heads up" as to where to look if indeed this rule exists. Yours aye . Sharky

SEP86

War Hero
I stand by to be corrected, but for most courses you will have an Assignment Order issued in JPA which, as its name suggests, you have to comply with. If you are willing to post which course it is, there are probably different angles, for different types of course.

It would be wreckers course in hms sultan which then allows me to be drafted as a wrecker L, which I most certainly do not want

Guzzler

War Hero
Perhaps speak to Career Manager? I'm out of date for this sort of stuff, and doing what I mock others for by advising something I am not 100% certain about, but as things were some two years ago that would have been my course of action. Hope you get it sorted.

It would be the career manager wanting to put me on it, it might reluctantly be notice in as it ain't what it used to be. Thanks all

SEP86

War Hero
Sharky, sorry - I don't know enough about SM career progression to comment. If it is something that is a 'normal' career progression you are probably stuck unless there is a different avenue you can pursue or volunteer for. Best wishes in your quest for a proper answer though, no matter which way it works out.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
It would be wreckers course in hms sultan which then allows me to be drafted as a wrecker L, which I most certainly do not want

Just out of interest, why don't you want to go Fwd? I was initially drafted fwd as wrecker L and fought against it but once I got there wild horses wouldn't have got me back aft on to the RP again.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Tricky. The principles that the Career Managers work to are, in order of priority

1. Needs of the Service
2. The individual's career development and
3. The personal preference

In theory all 3 should align, but we unfortunately don't live in a perfect world.

Whilst the CM has the sanction to put you where the need is greatest, at your stage it would seem to be counter intuitive to have a non volunteer, with all the associated risks attached, and I would be interested to know what your DO makes of this. On the other hand I don't know how desperate the shortage is, and therefore how tightly his hands are tied.

The bottom line would seem to be that there is a requirement and you fit the bill. If you don't wish to accept this, then the obvious option is to leave. This does not make anyone a bad person, and I am a firm believer in not forcing anyone into something they don't wish to do. With the possible exception of fog lookout or the DHP. Of course the plus side to your departure for the CM, is that it creates a gap into which he can promote someone who is prepared to do the course.

Not a simple issue by any means.....

Just out of interest, why don't you want to go Fwd? I was initially drafted fwd as wrecker L and fought against it but once I got there wild horses wouldn't have got me back aft on to the RP again.

Tough call for the OP either way -

Will completion of the course restrict him to either SSNs or SSBNs?

Take him out of a perceived comfort zone? (It gets v. v. dark at black lighting and some of the fwd staff are infamous as phantom gropers don'tcha know? :evil2: :evil4: )

After course completion (then applying for Notice). Are there be hidden benefits in cross-threading for second career options?

What are SWIMBO's thoughts - Will she grin, bear and live with it? Or is she entirely anti?

Slapping his notice in might still require completion of that course; with the Pusser then wringing the last drop of 'Service Requirements' blood before his Tx date - Not to mention the immediate loss of SP SM as it now cunningly revamped as 'Retention' remuneration.

All grist to the OP's mill I'm afraid as there is no simple answer - Not so long ago we had a similar Q posed by a long time acting rate trying to avoid/wriggle out of a Leadership Course (LRLC/POLC??) but he never re-appeared to inform us of the outcome...

I hope that this OP does inform us of how it all pans out, please:

The circumstances and resolution as such cases are valued at RR as 'Case History' for those popping up with similar quandaries in the future.

Bob

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I can only answer one of the above, wreckers course is generic so you can be sent to either SSN or BN.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Ah, but which has the better class of black lighting Gropers :shock: ?

Fortunately never had a bomber but used to get zapped by fwd staff when I was a back aftie, the nice white lights in the tunnel tend to mess your eyes when you get to a black lighting control room, and the single red light in the fwd air lock is of no help at all :neutral:

At the risk of bringing this old chestnut up, the best reference I could find was BR3, Chapter 69 para 6913.Basically a refusal to do the course gets reported to the Career Manager, annontated on your history sheet (which you should have as they've now been mostly withdrawn) and you can be reverted from your confirmed rate (sub para a). The sub para you should be interested in, is sub para c which has a need to have robust and valid reasons for refusal to attend or undertake, otherwise reversion will be likely to occur. I can appreciate that this wouldn't be an answer that anyone would like to hear, but unfortunately it's driving at the needs of the service coming before everything else.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Speech: Climate Change: Turning emergency into opportunity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Packaging and print firm fined for turning river purple with hazardous waste MoD News 0
royal_dreams12 Turning up to AFCO uninvited UPO/Careers Office 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Turning technology into ploughshares MoD News 0
scouse MR Hammond is for turning!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 4
wet_blobby HELP NEEDED turning NZB into an officer. Diamond Lil's 12
soleil Mail: 'Bride Spends 6 Years Turning Rusty VW Into £25K Porsche In Time For Wedding' The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Keeping 45 Commando's wheels turning in Helmand Current Affairs 0
Stirling Are we turning into Facebook ?. Diamond Lil's 31
wet_blobby Am I turning into a spastic? Health & Fitness 7
Rumrat Turning Japanese The Gash Barge 21
soleil Navy News: "HMS Lancaster's Turning Japanese" The Fleet 0
WreckerL George Formby will be turning in his grave Diamond Lil's 9
InvestorX Thread is going nowhere - turning into personal attacks The Corps 8
NotmeChief He must be turning in his grave. History 3
S MOD turning Bootneck into Action Man. Honestly. Current Affairs 7
NZ_Bootneck Turning towards being...... Diamond Lil's 11
Chicogiz Turning towards being a paratrooper The Corps 37
B Turning an Aircraft Carrier by Air Power. The Fleet Air Arm 43
Lingyai Are we turning into Americans? The Quarterdeck 34
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency shuts down illegal waste site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Property investment companies shut down after misappropriating £2.85m MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforms to Companies House to clamp down on fraud and give businesses greater confidence in transactions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on Prime Minister Abe stepping down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue emergency services publisher shut down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tougher fines ahead of Bank Holiday to crack down on illegal gatherings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Futuristic ‘village’ concept launches at Worthy Down Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade in Guatemala and Mexico MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New anti-bullying helpline to clamp down on poor behaviour in the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Car parking investment companies shut down in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online cryptocurrency trading platform shut down by courts MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary to stand down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA Chairman Andrew Tyrie to step down MoD News 0
BillyNoMates List of statues to be pulled down and the reason(s) why. Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Courts shut down rogue education publisher MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clamping down on risk of unsafe PPE MoD News 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Trade Remedies Authority Chief Executive Designate steps down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Ian Cheshire to stand down as Government’s Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government cracks down on spread of false coronavirus information online MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Lock-Down thread 2020. Diamond Lil's 563
MoD_RSS Government knocks down barriers to productivity for tenant farmers MoD News 0
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
MoD_RSS A raft of ideas to help track down the elusive water vole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women leading the way in breaking down boundaries in science and innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Save the Children UK let down complainants and public over handling of allegations of workplace harassment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary clamps down on shoddy housebuilders MoD News 0