Turn around of Naval personel

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by EdinburghGuy, Apr 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been reading alot of posts recently trying to gather as much information and advice I can get on signing up without asking silly or FAQ's. There is a few posts that are mentioning people leaving the RN in "droves" and the RN being "under staffed". I was wondering is there is any validity to these points? I have sent away the initial forms to join and the RN looks like it can offer a great life and lots of opportunities, so hopefully all these people leaving in droves are an exageration!

2. i am outbound shippers in 10 months to make only 10 years in and alot of people i know are doing the same!

3. Why are you leaving? I've read a lot (mostly on facebook groups) of people complaining about conditions and problems with pay, but I can't find a detailed account from anyone. Maybe people who have served all their working lives don't realise that civilian life is no picnic.

4. Im not leaving because of the pay or even the conditions mate. Now believe it or not i actually have friends and family who live and work in "civvie street" and on top that i watch television read newspapers and listen to the radio! So i would say i am fairly well aware of the shit sarnie that is life in great ******* britain. My reasons for leaving the royal navy are numerous and dull and i do not want to spout off on here about shit when a good number of the people on here may be looking forward to a career in the RN. I was just asying that from where i am standing there are alot of lads on there way out and even more ticking off the days till they can stick their chit in.

5. Ok thanks, i'm sure you are aware of current events. I just wanted to know if there were some fundamental problems with life in the RN, i hear a lot of people say that it has changed for the worse

6. The RN does offer a great life and many opportunities, it's up to you to go out there and make the most of them. With the right attitude, drive and ambition you will be able to achieve, enjoy and experience things that most civvies would never do.

I think that sometimes people forget what a warship actually is. It's a floating weapons platform. Its primary role is to deliver things that go 'bang' to people we don't like. In order to do that there are various roles for people to fill. There are the stoker boys who provide the lectrickery to power the weapons systems, and provide propulsion to get the ship where it needs to be, there are the RPs (in old money) who look at the radar to make sure we don't bump into other ships or lumps of rock and look out for aircraft and missiles which might ruin your day; ditto the TAS apes who do the same for sludgemarines and torps. There are the WEs who make sure the weapons systems and sensors work after the bloody operators have broken them "honestly mate, I didn't touch it, it just stopped working!", there are the stores bods who supply the spares to replace the bits the bloody operators broke ("stores are for storing, if they were for issuing they'd be called issues"), there are the scran assassins who ensure everyone suffers from malnutrition and then there's the writers whose job it was was to fcuk your pay up. There are officers to tell us what to do and write reports and go to meetings and stewards to offer a puckered starfish in order to remind officers of what public school was like. Not forgetting the WAFUs who lie around all day bronzying on their clicky-beds and occasionally sending off the budgie to fetch the mail.

As you can see, there are a lot of people who are needed to keep a warship going, the problem being that the machinary, weapons, sensors, computer systems, radar displays, stores etc etc took up all the room and down the bottom of the list of priorities came the sailor's accommodation.

Conditions onboard were certainly very difficult and often rough and ready. Over the years improvements were made and more consideration given to the living spaces but it still came down the list of priorities. The problem is that nowadays the expectations and standards of people joining the Navy are far higher than ever before but the problem for the whole of the military is that it takes time and costs a lot of money to modernise, something that the tax payer doesn't really want to fund given a choice between nice shiny accommodation for Jack & Jenny or school books for their darling little Timmy. Things are moving in the right direction though in the way accommodation is now thought out both onboard and shoreside.

There have been problems with pay. I don't think so much with levels of remuneration, but since the introduction of JPA many people across all the services experienced problems. The government (of all flavours) has a history of poor implementation of new computer systems, and JPA is no different. Over the coming years things will no doubt smooth out but the cynic in me thinks that as soon as they've got everything working well it will be time to change it all again.

I would say that most civilians who have never had the privilage of serving in the armed forces don't realise that military life is no picnic, and can be more arduous than most civvies will ever experience or even care about. As an example I point you in the direction of the severe floods the country suffered not too long ago. Instead of organising themselves in their communities and getting stuck in with a bit of 'self help', they sat around bleating until the military and the blue light services pitched up and did it all for them.

7. Thanks for the very precise answer. Makes sense that you have to fit around the ship or boat not the other way around. I am looking forward to moving my application forward I even jumped the first hurdle and got my eye sight tested and fall uncorrected inside Catagory 3... had me worried since my eyesight uncorrected is not great but corrected is really good.

8. You mean there are not specific cleaning staff! Next you'll be telling me there is no eggy soldiers served in bed!