Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tune into swap ship...

This i think has been covered on another Forum,cant find it,Foreign Service commissions in the far east Bulwark for example,changed whole crews over,tho not in one big lump,Britannias, from my exchange broke down in Bombay,we flew to Bombay courtesy of Air India on Super Constellations but the way i read this is that you are swapping crews with another ship,unless ive read it wrong,which just does`nt make sense.

pondwater said:
Is the head line in this months (August) navy news. It goes onto say that entire crews will be swapped while on deployment over seas.
I'm not in the navy yet. But isn't saying hello/goodbye all part of the deployment.... any thoughts?

Black dog for a white monkey anyone?

I can understand it when the ships company transfer from one ship going into refit onto the same class of ship coming out of refit yet the ships keep their own identity. But taking the ships name as well would be very confusing - surely the pennant numbers would have to change also. What if the class of ships are different (batch 1/2/3 etc)- chaos would ensue imho. Janes fighting ships would need constant changes? :?

and what if your pit prior to transfer was a good one (ie in a quiet part of a gulch and not in the mess square) and some cnut beat you to it on the new ship...argh :roll:

creakin said:
pondwater said:
Is the head line in this months (August) navy news. It goes onto say that entire crews will be swapped while on deployment over seas.
I'm not in the navy yet. But isn't saying hello/goodbye all part of the deployment.... any thoughts?

I can understand it when the ships company transfer from one ship going into refit onto the same class of ship coming out of refit yet the ships keep their own identity. But taking the ships name as well would be very confusing - surely the pennant numbers would have to change also. What if the class of ships are different (batch 1/2/3 etc)- chaos would ensue imho. Janes fighting ships would need constant changes? :?

and what if your pit prior to transfer was a good one (ie in a quiet part of a gulch and not in the mess square) and some cnut beat you to it on the new ship...argh :roll:

Don't worry, EDS can provide a computer system to manage the whole process......i have complete faith!

If I had any faith that this might actually work, the mention of EDS has in the same sentence has had the same effect as fresh air at closing time.

We're doomed, we're all doomed!!!

SF

creakin said:
pondwater said:

That is exactly what we did back in the seventies. I was on the Rhyl took her into refit in Gib and transferred lock stock and barrel to the Brighton.

dt018a9667 said:
creakin said:
pondwater said:

That is exactly what we did back in the seventies. I was on the Rhyl took her into refit in Gib and transferred lock stock and barrel to the Brighton.

We also wore flares , tank tops and liked Sweet and Gary Glitter, but it doesn't make it right!

dt018a9667 said:

But was the Brighton renamed Rhyl? From some of the posts here it appears that not only will the crew swap platforms, but the platforms will exchange names too. What about Pennant Numbers, Battle Honours, accountable stores, etc. Say HMS RDP has an item on back-order from Naval Stores, undergoes a crew/name change and the item is then available - how do stores ensure it gets tot he right platform (I know, this question could be justifiably asked today too!). The changing of names will present a logistical nightmare, not only to the RN, but also to organisations such as BAeSystems - can you see them making changes to their operation without finding a way of passing on their costs to the RN!

imom1406 said:
dt018a9667 said:
creakin said:
pondwater said:

We also wore flares , tank tops and liked Sweet and Gary Glitter, but it doesn't make it right!

I rather like Sweet and flares were ALL the rage before those skinny pants that only Kate Moss looks good in became fashionable :p

rosinacarley said:
imom1406 said:
dt018a9667 said:
creakin said:
pondwater said:

I rather like Sweet and flares were ALL the rage before those skinny pants that only Kate Moss looks good in became fashionable :p

I bet you look fantastic in skinny pants rosina... :wink: :D

imom1406 said:
dt018a9667 said:
creakin said:
pondwater said:

And Smokie , still listen to them in fact , :lol:

Could some one tell me what is EDS , sorry for being a prat ,

mazza_magoo said:
rosinacarley said:
imom1406 said:
dt018a9667 said:
creakin said:
pondwater said:

I bet you look fantastic in skinny pants rosina... :wink: :D

xxxxxxxx

Latest Threads