Tugg Wilson... "Jack" cartoonist... RIP

pink_leader said:
And I know someone who would be ideal to write the Preface.

Prince Charles.

I am sure as an ex-FAA pilot HRH would be as intimate with the work of Tugg as the rest of us and would probably be honoured to do the task.
You might well be right. I think HRH POW will just jump at the chance. It is right up his street.

For those interested - Tugg's obituary is now published in this months Navy News, Cockpit Magazine, on line in the HMS GANGES website and Rum Ration.

Tugg fans will wish to know that a Memorial Service to honour the memory of the late Lt C E A WILLSON (Tugg) will be held in the Fleet Air Arm Memorial Church (St Barts) Yeovilton at 1100 on Friday 8 June 2007. Space in the Church is extremely limited thus units/associations wishing to be represented should indicate proposed attendees to the OIC RN Flight Safety & Accident Investigation Centre, RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset BA20 8HT by 30 Apr 07. The grounds of the Church, however, can accommodate overspill and highly attended services are usually relayed to loudspeakers in the grounds.

xxspikexx said:
met tugg on invince ... what a man RIP FRIEND
I think that's when me and Lt Cdr(f) brought him on board for a couple of days as a 'thank you' for producing some cartoons, a picture for Wings' going away prezzie and the Flight Deck Handlers surcoat badge.

I liked the phots - 848B Flight Gannet in the background. I probably recognise the tats too!

Saw him on a visit at 815/829 once, early 90's, I think FONA (as was then) was presenting him with something for his services to Cockpit.
Legend and institution don't do justice to his contribution to flight safety and naval life and morale. I have one of his earlier compilations on the Falklands, (reproduced from the NN I think) much treasured and read cover to cover.

Many thanks and BZ, Fido for the obit, I read it on NN late last year I think, didn't realise it was you, brought a tear to my eye I'm not ashamed to say.

To any involved with the publication, I await with interest and will certainly be buying a copy or two.

RIP Tugg.

Graybags said:
A sad day indeed he will be sadly missed
Does anyone remember Derek 'Darky' Crowter ? another great Naval Cartoonist ? I remember drinking with him once, don't remember where or when but Pompey I think... :( G
Yes I met him in the late 70's early 80's in Pompey, we used to drink in Ruby's quite a few of his cartoons were on the wall there.

He helped me progress my own cartooning skills enough to have some published in NN and a few civvy magazines.

I used to do loads for onboard mags/daily dits. During Granby on the Manch I did one every day to be published in Granby dits, still got them up in't loft.

Tugg was an inspiration his wit and powers of observation make a simple cartoon into a rib tickling classic.

RIP

Father_Famine said:
Graybags said:
A sad day indeed he will be sadly missed
Does anyone remember Derek 'Darky' Crowter ? another great Naval Cartoonist ? I remember drinking with him once, don't remember where or when but Pompey I think... :( G
Yes I met him in the late 70's early 80's in Pompey, we used to drink in Ruby's quite a few of his cartoons were on the wall there.

He helped me progress my own cartooning skills enough to have some published in NN and a few civvy magazines.

I used to do loads for onboard mags/daily dits. During Granby on the Manch I did one every day to be published in Granby dits, still got them up in't loft.

Tugg was an inspiration his wit and powers of observation make a simple cartoon into a rib tickling classic.

RIP
Admin have been asking for someone to design the RR logo FF....
maybe you could come up with something akin to a rum rat ?...
just a thought.

This cartoon is reported as Tugg's last:

Linked from this site, The Gray Monk.

I remember Tugg from Eagle, he was a great mucker of Doc Adamson, the SMO. Many was the night when the Doc (an insomniac) would get any passing soul to join him for a dram or two in his cabin, just off the quarterdeck. Tugg had liberally decorated all the bulkheads (and deckhead!) with cartoons over the months/years, and some years later I was leaving the WEO's office in the bowels of Ark, only to find Tugg's cartoons on the inside of the door!! It was the Doc's old cabin door from Eagle, and there was little or no appreciation of it from the then current owners :angry7: They were later reported to have painted over the cartoons :(

Tugg's cartoons often used set characters, and his tribute to the Doc was to have him portrayed in any cartoon showing a member of the medical profession :)

I have four autographed cartoons at home, they still capture the essence of time on a carrier. Does anyone remember his Ode to the Last Tot :thumright:

Mick_Strigg said:
I can confirm that the Royal Navy Historic Flight are currently in the process of finding a publisher to enable them to compile a book of Tugg cartoons.

It will not be a quick process I'm afraid, but it will happen.

P.S. Look out for a very special edition of COCKPIT magazine out very soon!
Is there any news on this possible book?

Heli said:
Eagle, he was a great mucker of Doc Adamson, the SMO. Many was the night when the Doc (an insomniac) would get any passing soul to join him for a dram or two in his cabin, just off the quarterdeck. Tugg had liberally decorated all the bulkheads (and deckhead!) with cartoons over the months/years, and some years later I was leaving the WEO's office in the bowels of Ark, only to find Tugg's cartoons on the inside of the door!! It was the Doc's old cabin door from Eagle, and there was little or no appreciation of it from the then current owners :angry7: They were later reported to have painted over the cartoons
Just caught up with this. As stated previously Tuggs Flight Safety calendars were a treasure trove of naval aviation humour. Collectors items the lot.

The mention of Doc Adamsom flooded me with memories. He was my instructor at Seafield Park when I did my air medicine training. His stories revolved around getting thrown off pilot training as he was prone to crashing. (Tugg imortalised that event for the crewroom walls). The Doc used to have an old Messerschmidt 3 wheeler with a huge clockwork key sticking out from the roof. Another of life's characters. Doesn't suprise me he and Tugg were mates.

I'd forgotten the wind up Messerschmidt! Doc also had a Zippo lighter that just fitted his No % jacket pocket, like a flamethrower when it was lit. Great for lighting the ciggies of the visitors during Cockers P's on the flight deck :thumright:

Not quite on the thread, but close to it !!

There are a couple of cartoon books that I have that are quite a laugh (no pun intended !!) and are worth a look:

'Laugh! with the Navy' & 'Laugh! with the Navy Too'

both by a Jim Swift, ex Coxn/MAA who retired in 1972 (according to the cover), both of which are available from:

Maritime books, Lodge Hill, Liskeard, Cornwall PL14 4EL
Tel 01579 343663
email; [email protected]

This company, run by a ret'd 2 1/2 has quite a selection of Naval books in his collection - also well worth a look.

:)

Sorry to rejoin site when there has been a death in the family.
Will be sadly missed .
To end on a slightly more cheerful note, did any of you gents remember another cartoonist, "Darkie" from the 60's and 70's?

I have been in dry dock for a wee while just making a comeback as it were. Had a disagreement with my Heart, and it showed me who was in charge.(Not me).
So I will formally introduce myself to you now, Ex pusser lower deck, seaman of 60's (65) vintage, joined not finished then. Served in Ulster, Aurora, Devonshire, Puma, Victory ship, And several stone frigates, home and away. Not a freshwater man, three foreign commissions ships, and one Terror barracks. So now I'm on the mess-deck gents hope your going to welcome me aboard.
I would call you round but see my handle.

Did you ever see the darkie cartoons painted on the walls in pompey by the albany. The classic one I recall was of the big black bootneck holding a scraggy little "jack by the scruff of the neck with a caption saying....." You can pinch my tot, smoke my last blue liner, sleep with my party, but stop friggin telling me to play the white man."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse Diamond Lil's 0
J Current Affairs 1
Jockroach History 1