Tugg Wilson... "Jack" cartoonist... RIP

imom1406 said:
fido said:
imom1406 said:
Tugg's Jack was my moral compass...RIP.....a good innings well played!

Hi imom, still loafing I see!
I'll have you know i've been very busy recently, hence not been around....and i'm in need of a rest!....Us ex Pinkies need rest.....i'm off for a lie down in the UHF office!
Balls, boody pinkes - load of loafers!

On a serious note - I'll post details of Tugg's funeral when I know

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
A sad day indeed he will be sadly missed
Does anyone remember Derek 'Darky' Crowter ? another great Naval Cartoonist ? I remember drinking with him once, don't remember where or when but Pompey I think... :( G

Always_a_Civvy said:
Here's one of my favourite Tugg cartoons of clumsy Jack...

As a tribute to Tugg could we not have a best of/ my favourite section of cartoons, just dedicated to the master? Or would that break too many laws?

The Fleet Air Arm Officer's Association have posted this on their website:

"Tugg Willson

Date Posted - 27/10/2006
The Association announces with great regret the death of the cartoonist Tugg (CEA "Tugg" Willson MBE) over the weekend of 21/22 October.

As further details are known they will be announced on the website"

Asst_Ed

Lantern Swinger
[/quote]

As a tribute to Tugg could we not have a best of/ my favourite section of cartoons, just dedicated to the master? Or would that break too many laws?[/quote]

Just to let everyone know, we intend to do just that in our December edition of Navy News.

Tugg stopped drawing for us back in the summer because he was ill, sadly, and now he's gone well, he's irreplaceable.

I've only dealt with him on and off for three years; some of the staff have worked with him for a dozen or more. He's one of the nicest, most unassuming chaps I've ever met. One of a kind. Navy News and for that matter the Navy will be all the poorer for his passing.

I think it would be a nice gesture if all his cartoons were made into a commemorative book and any proceedes to go to a charity of his Families choice.I would buy one!

I agree with Andy. A book of all his naval drawings plus a sample of his other work perhaps, and some biographical information on him would be welcome. Perhaps this could be purchased online too, making it easier for our non-UK resdership to get copies?

Steve.

Always_a_Civvy said:
I agree with Andy. A book of all his naval drawings plus a sample of his other work perhaps, and some biographical information on him would be welcome. Perhaps this could be purchased online too, making it easier for our non-UK resdership to get copies?

Steve.
I like this idea too - you will know that it will inevitably be up to the executors of his will concerning the disposal of his estate (ie, drawings, cartoons etc). What I can say, however, is that, before his death, he gifted a number of drawings to the Royal Naval Historic Flight with the object of having them made into a book of cartoons to be sold on behalf of the RNHF. It is probable that he made similar gifts to the other entities (North Sea Oil, Navy News et al) from whom he obtained commissions. I will check progress with the RNHF tomorrow and post accordingly.

With regard to information on his life, I have written his obituary for publication in 'Cockpit', 'The Fleet Air Arm Officers Association Newsletter' and the 'Daily Telegraph' - I will forward a copy to 'Navy News' shortly (each version is slightly altered to fit the readership).

fido said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

Steve.

I like this idea too - you will know that it will inevitably be up to the executors of his will concerning the disposal of his estate (ie, drawings, cartoons etc). What I can say, however, is that, before his death, he gifted a number of drawings to the Royal Naval Historic Flight with the object of having them made into a book of cartoons to be sold on behalf of the RNHF. It is probable that he made similar gifts to the other entities (North Sea Oil, Navy News et al) from whom he obtained commissions. I will check progress with the RNHF tomorrow and post accordingly.

With regard to information on his life, I have written his obituary for publication in 'Cockpit', 'The Fleet Air Arm Officers Association Newsletter' and the 'Daily Telegraph' - I will forward a copy to 'Navy News' shortly (each version is slightly altered to fit the readership).
Could you let us know when the Telegraph one will be published?

Always_a_Civvy said:
fido said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

Steve.

Regret that I cannot - that is in the hands of the Telegraph Obits Editor (Peter Hore) - he may (or may not) publish at a date that he will determine but, if you want a copy of what was written, let me know and I would be more than happy to publish to this thread.

Yours aye,

fido

fido said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
fido said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

Steve.

Regret that I cannot - that is in the hands of the Telegraph Obits Editor (Peter Hore) - he may (or may not) publish at a date that he will determine but, if you want a copy of what was written, let me know and I would be more than happy to publish to this thread.

Yours aye,

fido
Yes please! :)

I can confirm that the Royal Navy Historic Flight are currently in the process of finding a publisher to enable them to compile a book of Tugg cartoons.

It will not be a quick process I'm afraid, but it will happen.

P.S. Look out for a very special edition of COCKPIT magazine out very soon!

Mick_Strigg said:
I can confirm that the Royal Navy Historic Flight are currently in the process of finding a publisher to enable them to compile a book of Tugg cartoons.

It will not be a quick process I'm afraid, but it will happen.

P.S. Look out for a very special edition of COCKPIT magazine out very soon!
Can us ordinary mortals (of RR) pre-order copies online?

If so, please can you furnish us with the details?

Steve.

As promised.

LIEUTENANT C E A WILLSON MBE ROYAL NAVY

Lieutenant C E A (Tugg) Willson MBE Royal Navy died recently following a short illness.

Born in 1930, Tugg joined the Royal Navy in 1947 as a Naval Air Mechanic and, achieving the rank of Petty Officer, was subsequently promoted to Sub Lieutenant (X)(AV) in 1964. Serving in Naval Air Stations, he also accumulated more than his fair share of sea time in Her Majesty’s Ships OCEAN, GLORY, ILLUSTRIOUS (not the current one!), EAGLE (twice) and VICTORIOUS (twice) before early retirement in 1971 to pursue a full time career as a cartoonist, firstly from a studio in his home in Bere Alston and later, as his second career developed, in the North East and, subsequently, in Wiltshire.

Tugg developed his particular cartoon style during the mid 1960’s in VICTORIOUS when he was lurked to publish the ships newspaper ‘Vic News’. Although initially not a skilled draughtsman, he possessed a unique perspective of naval humour and, whilst it later encapsulated the broader range of human behaviour, his talent was especially slanted to, and appreciated by, the maritime community and was particularly well received by the Royal Navy, North Sea Oil, Merchant Marine organisations and house magazines. He had a special aptitude for extracting a pertinent quote from a professional text and converting it to a witty and humorous cartoon that drove home the essence and message of the article.

Modest and unassuming (he always claimed that he was not really a funny person), Tugg often appeared somewhat bewildered by his immense popularity yet many service publications owe their avid readership to his influence. ‘Cockpit’ was no exception – his wit and skill in the portrayal of flight safety matters ensured full readership – indeed, it was often difficult to obtain a copy of the latest ‘Cockpit’ magazine when Tugg was drawing the pictures! The ‘Cockpit’ calendar was particularly sought after and, from a flight safety perspective, earlier calendars are as fresh, funny and relevant as ever. Tugg also published cartoons in the Review of Naval Engineering, Navy News, The Times, Daily Mirror, News of the World, Punch Magazine and regional rewspapers.

He was generous with his talent often gifting original drawings to ships, squadrons, establishments and individuals who had invited and hosted him for a visit – he was not too foolish however, he received in return fresh ideas and material for further work!

An honorary member of the Fleet Air Arm Officers Association, Tugg was one of a kind; he had a keen eye for Jack humour and the skill to portray it with superb visual impact. ‘Brilliant’ is an understatement for his influence upon all involved in naval aviation – he drove home the flight safety message with panache, fun and excellent draughtsmanship whilst making us laugh hugely because we could see ourselves in his drawings. He was a unique contributor to aviation and maritime safety.

Survived by his wife Elizabeth and sons, having now met (with typical good humour and pragmatism) his oft-portrayed nemesis, the ‘Grim Reaper’, he can be proud of his immense contribution to flight safety and the image of the Fleet Air Arm.

Mick_Strigg said:

If its any help i know of a Publisher that would be more than interested in this.

And I know someone who would be ideal to write the Preface.

Prince Charles.

I am sure as an ex-FAA pilot HRH would be as intimate with the work of Tugg as the rest of us and would probably be honoured to do the task.